Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Black Adam no longer a villain?

Hi, Guys: I just saw Grace's shot by shot of the DC trailer going over what's next this year. Black Adam was a big part of it. Looking at the Rock and recalling his tendencies I thought well he isn't going to be a villain because The Rock doesn't really do that.

Then I wondered what is Adam's deal today? Once upon a time, he was Shazam's first champion who became eeeeeeeeeeeevil. The ancient Wizard found that the only way to neutralize his threat was to cast a spell fisplacing Adam all the way the edge of the expanding universe. Adam would return 5000 years later having flown for 5000 years back to earth to reek havok.

What's his deal today?

Similar to Namor the Sub-Mariner at Marvel, who is a golden age hero now sometimes depicted as a villain, and is the ruler of a country. He'll believe himself to be the hero, but there will be times other heroes oppose him, and times when they agree with him. The Geoff Johns Shazam series actually ended with Adam acknowledged as the seventh Champion, meaning he's as legit as Billy, Mary, and their four foster siblings.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

He is DCs new Superman just give it a few years
    The J-man

He's at worst an anti-hero.

The Rock won't play a villain at this point. He's basically playing the Rock playing Black Adam.

I think in the comics they are trying to make him less of a villain at least until they see how the film does.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    He is DCs new Superman just give it a few years
    I actually thought that myself! I don’t know a ton about the character but I never knew he’d been an actual villain. I think if this movie is big he could definitely become a much bigger player.

I don't know how it's playing out in comics right now (I realize he's on the Justice League, but he's been on that team or the JSA before and still reverted to villain), but my thoughts when I saw the trailer was that the inclusion of the JSA was to present him as an antihero at best. My reasoning is this: if the movie were about him alone, he'd probably end up being the hero, at the least for protecting Khandaq. But since the JSA members, who are doubtless more purely good guys, are going to be in the movie, I'm sure they will be shown as the "purely" good characters in contrast to Adam's more gray position.

Either way, I doubt they'll show him as a dictator per se. More of an understandable "Khandaq-first" kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I actually thought that myself! I don’t know a ton about the character but I never knew he’d been an actual villain. I think if this movie is big he could definitely become a much bigger player.
    He was introduced in Marvel Family #1 in 1945 - and killed off immediately. He then got revived in Shazam #28 in 1977. He was very much a villain in those early days. It's only later he became more morally grey.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

He's been an antihero to me since I read the 52 novelization back in the day.

So DCEU Adam not being a villian wouldn't surprise me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hi, Guys: I just saw Grace's shot by shot of the DC trailer going over what's next this year. Black Adam was a big part of it. Looking at the Rock and recalling his tendencies I thought well he isn't going to be a villain because The Rock doesn't really do that.

Then I wondered what is Adam's deal today? Once upon a time, he was Shazam's first champion who became eeeeeeeeeeeevil. The ancient Wizard found that the only way to neutralize his threat was to cast a spell fisplacing Adam all the way the edge of the expanding universe. Adam would return 5000 years later having flown for 5000 years back to earth to reek havok.

What's his deal today?
    Is Loki still a villain

Is Wanda a villain

Is Harley Quinn a villain

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Is Loki still a villain

Is Wanda a villain

Is Harley Quinn a villain
    1. When he wants to be

2. No

3. Formerly
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

All-New Member

In my opinion : Black Adam is a non-USA-centric superpowered person from the middle-east who, in ages past, was a pharaoh to his people. He was sent away and when he returned he wasn't too pleased that a pale, soft boy had been inducted as the new Captain. In time he claimed the throne of Khandaq, a midle-eastern country and has become its, more or less, benevolent absolte ruler and defender against corrupting foreign influencess. Give him your respect, follow his rules and you are welcome. Cross him and ... well, most likely die/get a severe beating.

I feel that he is akin to Marvel's Doctor Doom with Latveria and Black Panther with Wakanda.

How much of a villain he is, is wholey depended upon the writer that currently writes him.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    1. When he wants to be

2. No

3. Formerly
    Wanda is formerly too. She debuted as part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants before defecting to the Avengers. Of course, just one of the first three (with her brother Quicksilver and Hawkeye) of many to do that.

Wow.
    That seems a waste of one epic setup

Retired

I can see why the Rock wants to manage his career so he only plays good guys now. But I think if BLACK ADAM comes across as too nice and morally upright, they will be leaving a lot of money on the table. Action characters with an edge are what's popular these days in movies. And what always made Adam and Billy interesting is how they contrast with each other. Billy being kind and sweet, Adam being mean and bitter. Seeing those two different types playing off each other is what creates the drama.

Also, Black Adam should have hair.