Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Anyone thinks Emma and Scott's relationship is just lust and obessessed?

When Jean was dead back in the day, Scott then move his relationship with Emma when she was the headmistress of Xavier's Institute. During their time, they even sleep together and have a sexual encounter. Even if Scott had become a widowerer, I find their relationship was so obessessed and the only reason he paired with her is because he had a thing with telepath. But anyone think?

This will end well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    This will end well.
    Bunker up, get the popcorn.

I see what you're going for and I get it. It gets boring around here sometimes, but you played it too safe.

Title should have been "Is Emma's obsession with Scott just lust?"
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

I think it started off with lust and perhaps obsession. For Cyclops it was new, exciting and made him feel alive but for Emma she looked into his mind and felt safe.

There was a real time evolution of the relationship in from Morrisons to Astonishing to Endsong and so forth. Scott told Emma he truly loved her as they were crashing down on Breakerworld. Prior to that it was mostly seen as lust. The relationship had a lot of writers put a lot of work into it. So it can be lots of things. However, it was always evolving.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    When Jean was dead back in the day, Scott then move his relationship with Emma when she was the headmistress of Xavier's Institute. During their time, they even sleep together and have a sexual encounter. Even if Scott had become a widowerer, I find their relationship was so obessessed and the only reason he paired with her is because he had a thing with telepath. But anyone think?
    he was actually manipulated by Jean Grey from the future to date her beyond their affair.....well, not sure how healthy that relationship was. lol Hence, his obsession seem to be psy manipulation by his dead ex-wife.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Oh lord... please they loved each other, just because emma and Scott dint play domestic husband and wife doesn't mean they were just sex and psychological game of thrones.

I remember panels where Emma and Scott were rather cute together… Didn’t feel like a relationship based only on sex…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I remember panels where Emma and Scott were rather cute together… Didn’t feel like a relationship based only on sex…
    I think a lot of it was that each one could look at the bad parts of the other without flinching. I feel Emma has a lot of pride and demands that any prospective partner gets to love all of her or none of her. With Scott the issue was his insecurities, especially post Poccy possession - who could see those parts of him and not push him away?
    Dark does not mean deep.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It was only lust when Bendis showed up.
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I think it started off with lust and perhaps obsession. For Cyclops it was new, exciting and made him feel alive but for Emma she looked into his mind and felt safe.

There was a real time evolution of the relationship in from Morrisons to Astonishing to Endsong and so forth. Scott told Emma he truly loved her as they were crashing down on Breakerworld. Prior to that it was mostly seen as lust. The relationship had a lot of writers put a lot of work into it. So it can be lots of things. However, it was always evolving.
    This is how i view their dynamic. When it initially started, there was also a power play at hand for Emma, as well as lust, and with Scott the affair gave him an escape -- but as time moved on, the two clearly loved one another and supported one another. A deep trust and admiration was there, as well as several soft moments where they could be themselves. (See their Savage Land vacation.)

Did Scott treat her poorly by the end? Yes, but that's something quite in-character for him. He bailed on Maddie when Jean returned, and cheated on Jean with Emma. It's a flaw of his to get incredibly focused on his own thing -- the return of his ex, dealing with his own mental trauma, Utopia -- to the detriment of his loved ones.

Scott was probably tryna trap her as to stay relevant
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Imagine a middle class couple, man owns a screwdrivers store, woman studied business. suddenly the woman ends up as CEO of Procter and Gamble. most likely the marriage will be destroyed. the woman will be too busy with extremely important big things, the man will feel inadequate.

I think that is what Morrison wanted to tell. Scott went from Jean to Emma because Jean was becoming a god, a force of nature, like Galactus. Completely unrelatable. Emma was someone on his level, a super flawed human, no a god/force of nature.

It probably started out that way but changed over time.

I have two opinions.

First opinion, writer and editorial mandate: There is a typical trope that a writer wants to pair up a character with someone new, this can even be a refreshing change to mix things up, but then the solution for the Ex is to either kill them off or make them vanish for years. The problem is that Jean and Scott are both big characters in the X-line and killing Jean off was actually really stupid. They constantly throw the line out that divorce and break ups are too adult for comics, but break ups and divorce happen all the time. Let Jean and Scott have a bad breakup, write it, give both of them a voice in the break up. Have Jean go to a different book and eventually date someone else and pursue her own happiness in her own right. But instead they took the lazy way out, they killed Jean off, because they were unwilling to write a dynamic story for Scott and a separate story for Jean. There is a certain editor at Marvel who I absolutely despise because he did this to X-Men and Spiderman at the same time, all because he had some weird idea that relationship issues were too adult for comics. Instead of Peter and MJ just having a divorce after a falling out, they erased the relationship with a deal with the devil, because they were lazy. The whole thing for Jean and MJ was lazy, it was the laziest writing and editing in that period of Marvel comics. I completely blame the horrible editor for this, and some blame to the writer for being lazy.

In Universe, Story. Scott and Emma actually turned out to be an epic rebuild of both characters, but not necessarily because of Morrison, most of Scott and Emma was developed by later writers who showed how passionate they were with each other, and how much they supported each other. I always find it ironic that Morrison had a decent idea for Scott and Emma, but his execution was no where near as good as the later writers who ran with the concept. I think it was because later writers actually flushed out Emma's part in the relationship more and addressed Emma and Scott equally in story, where Morrison couldn't decide if he just wanted Emma to be the "bad girl" while he killed off the "good girl". At least later writers showed how Scott and Emma grew stronger in their relationship together.

Personally I think Scott and Emma are an excellent couple, and I wish that they would give Jean a chance to date someone else. I am tired of Jean always being tied to Scott as if it is impossible to put her with someone else. Let Jean have a passionate relationship with someone else. Jean should not be defined by her relationship with Scott, she needs to be written as more than that.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”