Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default X-Men #8 Review (Spoilers)

Book kicks off with MODOK creating a virus and unleashes it on a cruise ship in the name of "science".

The X-Men head off to stop him, and Synch ends up borrowing Jean's powers during this issue.

Sync and Wolverine team up when they arrive at the ship, and Sync wants to talk to her. He tells her he has thought about sharing his memories of the vault with her but then that he didn't think it would be fair to her. Laura does decide to ask him a question though. How long it took for him too break her down? 212 years before their first kiss, he replies. Laura is surprised it happened so fast.

While the rest of the team saves the civilians, Wolverine and Sync make it to MODOK. He uses his powers to launch Wolverine into the ocean, and Sync saves her allowing MODOK to escape. However, Cyclops stops him. Then Sync and him go into MODOKs mind (where he's BBQing the XMen) and promise to make him pay by community service or something. The team is celebrated as heroes.

We get a note from Forge turning down Scott's invitation to join the team but suggesting Bling instead.

At the treehouse, Negasonic Teenage Warhead makes out with a purple haired girl while civilians visit Scott's memorial. Meanwhile, Sync goes to Scott. It was him who mind wiped Ben trying to help but now feels bad about it. He also reveals being around Laura is not healthy, and he says that maybe he is finished with the X-Men, but Scott says only Cpt. Krakoa can decide that.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 02-16-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Don't forget Synch admits to mind wiping Ben Urich by borrowing Jeans powers. So it wasn't Emma or the council. Still the right move IMO

So did Bling! win the second X-Men poll?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    So did Bling! win the second X-Men poll?
    Was she even on that poll? Semed Like Firestar won with maybe Monet getting it. In the book, it kind of seemed it was just added on there as opposed to foreshawoding her joining... I'd be up for that though!

Amazing Member

It also confirms that Laura got a full adamantium skeleton post-resurrection. I’m torn on that. It does take away one key difference she had from Logan (and make it harder to use the foot claws, her other main difference in powers). I think it could be defended in character. As someone who was deeply apprehensive of the romance plot between Laura and Synch I think this was a setup to about the best ending. Hoping they can at least get some more resolution and maybe end up on more stable terms.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Was she even on that poll? Semed Like Firestar won with maybe Monet getting it. In the book, it kind of seemed it was just added on there as opposed to foreshawoding her joining... I'd be up for that though!
    She definitely was in the poll but wasnt even top 4 last update so idk i doubt she won the election.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

I feel like Synch has gotten so wrapped up in the romance plot. Like I get it, they spent multiple lifetimes together and that's hard to get over, I just wish Synch and Laura had something else going on besides that. Which I'm glad Duggan did give Synch a slight distraction from that plot but revealing he was the one that mind-wiped Ben Urich and not the council. That's actually interesting.

As for the rest of the issue, this mostly focused on Synch and Laura. Again, Duggan needs to learn how to write a team, these faux solo issues are grating. But the story itself is passable, though I wish Wolverine got more to do than being the damsel in distress once again. the strategizing is nice, but she didn't really get to use that much in the actual fight

I don't think I need to even mention how I feel about Rogue's role in the book, but to sum it up; why is she a cameo in her own book.

There was over 15 pages of how the council mind wiping Urich would lead to Krakoas demise etc Scott wanted to go to war with the Council over this. And all he can say to Synch is sure you're still on the team. How about overhaul the team if it doesn't match the ideals he was striving for

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    212 years before their first kiss
    It took Hellion like a couple of weeks to get a kiss from Laura.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    She definitely was in the poll but wasnt even top 4 last update so idk i doubt she won the election.
    Well if Firestar won that poll, I imagine maybe that they want to counter the fact only white females are on the team by adding a female of color.

Lol, that part felt to me like it was the writer trying to appease fans.

I really like Synch, but this issue wasn'ta great look for him. I get his feelings in this universe, but from a real-world perspective, he comes off a bit stalkerish.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    There was over 15 pages of how the council mind wiping Urich would lead to Krakoas demise etc Scott wanted to go to war with the Council over this. And all he can say to Synch is sure you're still on the team. How about overhaul the team if it doesn't match the ideals he was striving for
    I also feel like that just wiped away some story potential that was set up in the last issue. Sure they could still come in conflict with QC, but now they haven’t actually done anything to make Scott upset. Maybe Gillen was like “Actuallllly leave my characters alone.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I also feel like that just wiped away some story potential that was set up in the last issue. Sure they could still come in conflict with QC, but now they haven’t actually done anything to make Scott upset. Maybe Gillen was like “Actuallllly leave my characters alone.”
    Synch is older and wiser, he was totally right anyway

And hopefully Gillen was

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I don't think I need to even mention how I feel about Rogue's role in the book, but to sum it up; why is she a cameo in her own book.
    At least she's a cameo and has lines. I don't think (I haven't read the issue) that Shiro wasn't even mentioned nevermind appeared in his own book. So.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    For that matter, Laura was outright sleeping with Warren within a few DAYS of having met him. On their first date, to boot.

Maybe that should be a sign that whatever they had in the Vault was a result of limited options. And should be just ANOTHER hint the pairing is not a good idea.