Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Really enjoyed issue #5. For me, the big theme of the issue was declaration. Sam was very firm in his stance. T'Challa was firm in his. Each declared their truth to one another. Sam's words rang pretty strong. There are differences between him and T'Challa. Sam feels T'Challa and Wakanda could have done more. And I it's safe to say that Sam feels T'Challa and Wakanda are the beneficiaries of a Vibranium meteorite, a privilege that Sam (and others like him) didn't have. In this way, we see echoes of Killmonger from the Black Panther film. At the same time, we see T'Challa counter. Would Sam have done any differently then T'Challa and Wakanda? Fair points from both men.

For me, the series is slowly finding itself. Sam is slowly but surely finding his voice. A good read overall.
    I dunno, I feel like Sam's been around the block enough and palled around with T'Challa enough that he wouldn't really have that much of a problem with it. I mean, he's benefited from Wakanda and Vibranium with his wings.

What are the issues where Sam becomes Snap and becomes a pimp? I know it ain't popular but I wanna read it because I'm interested.

I started reading Sam's story "Symbol of Truth" and it had some great moments in it, his actions certainly had consequences. Especially when confronted by Shuri, who really punished Sam. Ouch, not cool. But there were lots of good moments in these comics like "Wilson and Wilson" team with Deadpool. Lol I just realized they are both Wilson. How funny. I wonder where Sam goes from here. I say he needs to have a battle with Shuri...not that it'll help the situation but still.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    What are the issues where Sam becomes Snap and becomes a pimp? I know it ain't popular but I wanna read it because I'm interested.
    The first time it's brought up is towards the end of Steve Englehart's run in the 70's. The Red Skull has captured Cap and tells him that Falcon was plant all along and that the Snap is the real personality and Sam is the fake one created by the Cosmic Cube as part of a long con by the Skull. Steve was taken off the book before he could finish the story which was wrapped up by another writer so who knows what his original plan was. I can't remember the exact issue where we got the breakdown of the "pimp" stuff ( which if I remember correctly is not explicitly stated) , but look for roughly Capt America #185-186, 188-191 for the Snap Wilson storyline.

Later writers went with the idea that Sam was a hoodlum who reformed. But a few years ago Rick Remender threw in a line that suggested the whole Snap thing was a lie to torture Steve Rogers.
    Last edited by ed2962; 10-02-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The first time it's brought up is towards the end of Steve Englehart's run in the 70's. The Red Skull has captured Cap and tells him that Falcon was plant all along and that the Snap is the real personality and Sam is the fake one created by the Cosmic Cube as part of a long con by the Skull. Steve was taken off the book before he could finish the story which was wrapped up by another writer so who knows what his original plan was. I can't remember the exact issue where we got the breakdown of the "pimp" stuff ( which if I remember correctly is not explicitly stated) , but look for roughly Capt America #185-186, 188-191 for the Snap Wilson storyline.

Later writers went with the idea that Sam was a hoodlum who reformed. But a few years ago Rick Remender threw in a line that suggested the whole Snap thing was a lie to torture Steve Rogers.
    But in Christopher Priest's Captain America and Falcon series he gets called out for being a former pimp and doesn't seemed confused about it, gangsters in the hood call him Snap and he seems fine with it. I actually have been digging the series so I'd like to track it down from the beginning and learn more about Sam. Thanks for the assistance! I don't like Sam as Captain America but I've always liked him as the Falcon so I'll be studying the old stuff.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 10-02-2022 at 01:45 PM.

Ultimate Member

But in Christopher Priest's Captain America and Falcon series he gets called out for being a former pimp and doesn't seemed confused about it, gangsters in the hood call him Snap and he seems fine with it. I actually have been digging the series so I'd like to track it down from the beginning and learn more about Sam. Thanks for the assistance! I don't like Sam as Captain America but I've always liked him as the Falcon so I'll be studying the old stuff.
    A note on that series that based on it ended-it was suppose to lead to a new Falcon solo series by Priest.

Something happened and that Priest run became Black Panther.

The Cap America book-I think ignored the ending of CA & Falcon.

The second time a Priest run was suppose to lead to something else and it got axed. First time was Luke Cage on the run after Iron Fist's death. Shooter got the axed and Priest headed to DC (for Green Lantern and a Batman story) but Hama got him the Conan run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, I feel like Sam's been around the block enough and palled around with T'Challa enough that he wouldn't really have that much of a problem with it. I mean, he's benefited from Wakanda and Vibranium with his wings.
    A fair point. That could have been acknowledged better and maybe should have softened Sam's stance against T'Challa. However, I see the situation as all of these things affecting Sam. His frustration with not living up to his Captain America title, Black Americans leaving America to live in Wakanda, as well as a super important mission happening in Wakanda, I can see where the resentment might come from.

Now Sam has to live with the fact that he's effectively blocked Black American emigration to Wakanda. Many tough things to handle there.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A note on that series that based on it ended-it was suppose to lead to a new Falcon solo series by Priest.

Something happened and that Priest run became Black Panther.

The Cap America book-I think ignored the ending of CA & Falcon.

The second time a Priest run was suppose to lead to something else and it got axed. First time was Luke Cage on the run after Iron Fist's death. Shooter got the axed and Priest headed to DC (for Green Lantern and a Batman story) but Hama got him the Conan run.
    Shame. So far I really enjoy the way he writes Falcon and I'd had loved to have had a Falcon series by him. His Falcon is badass and fun to read.

Invincible Member

I didn't read the Preist stuff, but I know it happened before Rick's Sam/Cap run which said the Red Skull lied. I wanna say it was in the 80's ( maybe the Mark Gruenwald run? )...it was established that Sam/Snap were always the same person. Wilson's dad was a pastor who was gunned down and then Sam started running the streets. He ran off and tried to clean up his act and then became the Stan Lee Sam ( ...anyone if I'm misremembering this please correct me...)

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I didn't read the Preist stuff, but I know it happened before Rick's Sam/Cap run which said the Red Skull lied. I wanna say it was in the 80's ( maybe the Mark Gruenwald run? )...it was established that Sam/Snap were always the same person. Wilson's dad was a pastor who was gunned down and then Sam started running the streets. He ran off and tried to clean up his act and then became the Stan Lee Sam ( ...anyone if I'm misremembering this please correct me...)
    Definitely thanks. I'll be reading up more on this.