Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The preview pages confirm Whirlwind will be appearing.

True, but his obsession with her got dropped over time as Whirlwind's obsession grew and overtook it and Living Laser shifted to be more a part of Iron Man's rogues gallery.

Some resident of the planet Kosmos could potentially become a major foe for Jan, since her origin is linked there--it was the "Creature from Kosmos" that killed her father and led to her becoming the Wasp in the first place.

I suppose in theory Dr. Alice Nugent could get developed into a Jan villain as well. She is a scientist who posed as Hank's lab assistant but was secretly the owner of the company they worked for...she said she only claimed to be his assistant in order to study his research methods without him feeling like the boss was watching over his shoulder. It was also implied at one point that Hank and Alice had slept together after Hank and Jan's divorce. Alice was secretly working with Ultron behind the scenes in Kurt Busiek's AVENGERS run (which was never exposed to the Avengers), and sometime later she ended up getting the power prism and joining the Squadron Sinister as the new Doctor Spectrum and fighting the Thunderbolts.

Although the two of them have never clashed so far, there is a bit of a connection between Jan and Alice through Hank Pym so that could potentially be developed into something. Jan also has a history with the power prism since it once possessed her body.
    Oh, I didn't see the preview. I also didn't know Whirlwind was a serious villain and obsessed with Janet. I need to do my proper comic research on Janet's nemesis so I can be prepared for the Wasp mini. I wonder how he feels about the Hank Pym slap, if he's even aware of it.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Oh, I didn't see the preview. I also didn't know Whirlwind was a serious villain and obsessed with Janet. I need to do my proper comic research on Janet's nemesis so I can be prepared for the Wasp mini. I wonder how he feels about the Hank Pym slap, if he's even aware of it.
    The man was a bonified stalker, he knew of the slap, I am pretty sure he knows everything. He's literally one of the most deranged villains I have seen and if not that...then obsessed. I remember an issue of Avengers where he hired a prostitute to dress up as Wasp and then used his powers to murder her, I think it was the same one where Hank proposed to Janet again in Vegas but she turned him down. It did lead to a pretty epic showdown between Hank and Whirlwind though. I don't think Whirlwind was able to walk for a while after that happened.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    The man was a bonified stalker, he knew of the slap, I am pretty sure he knows everything. He's literally one of the most deranged villains I have seen and if not that...then obsessed. I remember an issue of Avengers where he hired a prostitute to dress up as Wasp and then used his powers to murder her, I think it was the same one where Hank proposed to Janet again in Vegas but she turned him down. It did lead to a pretty epic showdown between Hank and Whirlwind though. I don't think Whirlwind was able to walk for a while after that happened.
    Wow! That is sick! I sure hope Janet puts the Wasp smackdown on him during this event if he tries anything against her or her daughter! That prostitute thing sounds disturbing. And here I thought Ant-Man villains were just goofy comicbook baddies.

Wow! That is sick! I sure hope Janet puts the Wasp smackdown on him during this event if he tries anything against her or her daughter! That prostitute thing sounds disturbing. And here I thought Ant-Man villains were just goofy comicbook baddies.
    Geoff Johns decided it was time to cast aside the goofy factor and turn Whirlwind into someone you don't want to cross. I remember when I first read that scene, my jaw dropped hard. I mean...he had been bad before, he had kidnapped Janet on more than one occasion but this was clearly a sign of something darker worming its way into his already rotten heart. Be forewarned, this is the level of depravity Whirlwind is capable of (if anyone wants me to delete it just say so but I thought I would illustrate the kind of threat he poses and where he is psychologically):

spoilers:
    Whirlwind001.jpgWhirlwind002.jpg
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 12-05-2022 at 05:07 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Geoff Johns decided it was time to cast aside the goofy factor and turn Whirlwind into someone you don't want to cross. I remember when I first read that scene, my jaw dropped hard. I mean...he had been bad before, he had kidnapped Janet on more than one occasion but this was clearly a sign of something darker worming its way into his already rotten heart. Be forewarned, this is the level of depravity Whirlwind is capable of (if anyone wants me to delete it just say so but I thought I would illustrate the kind of threat he poses and where he is psychologically):

spoilers:
    Whirlwind001.jpgWhirlwind002.jpg
    end of spoilers
    That's despicable! I don't know much about Whirlwind but now I have a strong urge to see Wasp destroy him!

That's despicable! I don't know much about Whirlwind but now I have a strong urge to see Wasp destroy him!
    I was just rereading that comic and I forgot to mention one nasty detail...the call girl in that scan wasn't his only victim. He had been honing his abilities by killing prostitutes. But enough of all that, here is a pallet cleanser:

Revenge.jpg
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 12-05-2022 at 05:27 PM.

I was just rereading that comic and I forgot to mention one nasty detail...the call girl in that scan wasn't his only victim. He had been honing his abilities by killing prostitutes. But enough of all that, here is a pallet cleanser:

Revenge.jpg
    Never have I loathed a character upon just seeing two panels of him. And I never would have guessed with a silly name like "Whirlwind" He needs to be stung by a Wasp swarm!

Never have I loathed a character upon just seeing two panels of him. And I never would have guessed with a silly name like "Whirlwind" He needs to be stung by a Wasp swarm!
    He does, but it's a bit difficult when he has a mastery over wind, especially tornados which is how he propels himself through the air. His fate is somewhat ironically tragic however, if he had learned how to move on from being rejected by Janet he could have become one of Marvel's most powerful heroes, possibly an Avenger. But alas, it's like what was once said about The Sentry: "Some people aren't meant to have super powers." And boy, it definitely shows with Whirlwind.

Yeah, someone needs to beat Whirlwind up good.

At one point, he even added razor-sharp spinning blades onto his wrists to inflict more damage on heroes.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I do like the Wasp/Whirlwind dynamic but I'm a big fan of Beetle (Janice) becoming a major Wasp foe.

They should also bring back Madame Macabre.

Astonishing Member

Many of the old TALES TO ASTONISH era Ant-Man villains were goofy...but that didn't stop some of them from being significant threats anyway. Plus some of them have gotten more serious upgrades as time goes by.

Whirlwind was obviously the biggest 'success story' of the classic Ant-Man and Wasp rogues. Back in those days he started out as the Human Top, but later changed to the less silly sounding Whirlwind, which more accurately represents the fact that he is basically a human tornado. He's managed to hold his own against the Avengers all on his own on a few occasions -- but has also been a reliable team member villain too, with stints in the Lethal Legion and the Masters of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I do like the Wasp/Whirlwind dynamic but I'm a big fan of Beetle (Janice) becoming a major Wasp foe.
    I would have liked to have seen that develop too, but with Janice now engaged to one of Peter Parker's civilian friends I don't expect them to really start developing her as an arch-foe for anyone. She may not be giving up her criminal career completely....but I don't think she's going to start a grudge match with a founding Avenger.

He used to go by "The Human Top" and thought his speed was supreme. But a young Pietro/Quicksilver outraced him and punched him out!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I would have liked to have seen that develop too, but with Janice now engaged to one of Peter Parker's civilian friends I don't expect them to really start developing her as an arch-foe for anyone. She may not be giving up her criminal career completely....but I don't think she's going to start a grudge match with a founding Avenger.
    And if she was going to form a grudge with an Avenger, isn't She-Hulk the more logical choice? Because Janice is a lawyer in her civilian life, just like Jen is?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Many of the old TALES TO ASTONISH era Ant-Man villains were goofy...but that didn't stop some of them from being significant threats anyway. Plus some of them have gotten more serious upgrades as time goes by.

Whirlwind was obviously the biggest 'success story' of the classic Ant-Man and Wasp rogues. Back in those days he started out as the Human Top, but later changed to the less silly sounding Whirlwind, which more accurately represents the fact that he is basically a human tornado. He's managed to hold his own against the Avengers all on his own on a few occasions -- but has also been a reliable team member villain too, with stints in the Lethal Legion and the Masters of Evil.

Whirlwind sounds like way more of a menace then I figured he'd be. But it's nice to know that Ant-Man and Wasp's rogues galleries do have some threatening foes in the mix. I hope he doesn't try to get to Janet by trying to hurt Nadia or something sinister like that. Has Nadia ever fought Whirlwind?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    He used to go by "The Human Top" and thought his speed was supreme. But a young Pietro/Quicksilver outraced him and punched him out!
    It's always amusing when villains have even goofy names and then try to reinvent themselves. That reminds me of when Speed Demon use to be the Whizzer lol.

Whirlwind sounds like way more of a menace then I figured he'd be. But it's nice to know that Ant-Man and Wasp's rogues galleries do have some threatening foes in the mix. I hope he doesn't try to get to Janet by trying to hurt Nadia or something sinister like that. Has Nadia ever fought Whirlwind?
    They've met, he fought Nadia alongside Janice (Beetle) when they tried to kidnap someone named Ying.