Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Yeah, she was chairwoman before issue 235.

The authorities discover that the Wizard has escaped from prison, leaving one of the Plantman's simuloids in his place, and the Avengers are called in to recapture him. Several of the heroes are currently wrestling with personal problems, as Captain America darkly ponders Tony Stark's alcoholism, the She-Hulk tries unsuccessfully to acclimatize in New York, and the Scarlet Witch worries over the Vision's condition, but the Wasp nonetheless assigns these three to search the Wizard's former home.
    The one assigning tasks to other members would obviously be the leader.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Avengers_Vol_1_235
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Can anyone tell me at what point in the comics Janet becomes leader of the Avengers? And any other periods you know of where she receives a lot of focus? I'd like to start a read-through of her best eras and I could use some good recommendations.
    Jan's first stint as chairwoman began in issue #217 and she remained chairman through most of Roger Stern's run (which began with #227). She was also officially chairman again during Kurt Busiek's run, starting in vol.3 #27 and running through to the end of his run (she and Cap became co-chairmen around issue #39, when the two of them decided to expand the roster and increase the Avengers overall operations with various side-missions). Before that she was unofficially co-leading the West Coast team for a while from about WCA #44-69, approximately. The West Coast team didn't really have an officially chairman for a while there after Hawkeye quit in protest once the government forced USAgent onto their team, so Jan and Hank basically co-lead the team until a new official roster was finally voted on in #69.

The Roger Stern AVENGERS run is absolutely essential reading for Jan fans. It was a major turning point for her where she stopped being treated as "and the Wasp", sidekick to Hank Pym, and was recognized as a fully capable independent hero on her own merits.

Busiek's AVENGERS run also has some good Jan material -- and his AVENGERS FOREVER miniseries does too (which also features Jan in a leadership role in an ad-hoc group of Avengers assembled from different time periods).

Dwayne McDuffie's BEYOND miniseries is a fun read, and it again puts Jan in a leadership role with a group of random heroes (and villains) thrown together by a cosmic being.

MARVEL TEAM-UP #59-60 is a good story for Jan as well--and sees her get an overdue boost in her power levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Jan's first stint as chairwoman began in issue #217
    Wasn't this right after her break-up with Hank?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

This is exciting. I wish Marvel would bring them back together in the present day, but it’s definitely better than having no new content with them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I am so pumped for this. Can’t really tell who the four villains are but I think I guessed two of them.
    I remember the trumpet guy. But I can’t tell who the other three are.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Wasn't this right after her break-up with Hank?
    Yes. It was just a few issues after the domestic violence incident that ended their marriage. Jan had taken a couple of issues off to recover from the whole incident and deal with divorce proceedings, etc...and when she was ready to return to active duty she was also ready for a fresh start with her life, and nominated herself as the new chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Can anyone tell me at what point in the comics Janet becomes leader of the Avengers? And any other periods you know of where she receives a lot of focus? I'd like to start a read-through of her best eras and I could use some good recommendations.
    Might not exactly be what you're looking for, but it's highly recommended for some funny moments involving Jan (XD)

Ant-Man's Big Christmas

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-25-2022 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by WondrousWasp View Post
    This is exciting. I wish Marvel would bring them back together in the present day, but it’s definitely better than having no new content with them at all.

I remember the trumpet guy. But I can’t tell who the other three are.
    Looks like Trago (Trumpet guy), the Protector (the old guy in purple), the Mad Master of Time (old guy with the beard, had some sort of aging/de-aging ray that he used to cause havoc because he was angry he was forced to retire. He wasn't really a villain per se). As for the fourth guy with the spray bottle, I have no clue. My best guess would be Second Story Sammy, a robber who found out Hank's identity as Giant-Man, though he that would make his first appearance later than this book is probably set.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    Looks like Trago (Trumpet guy), the Protector (the old guy in purple), the Mad Master of Time (old guy with the beard, had some sort of aging/de-aging ray that he used to cause havoc because he was angry he was forced to retire. He wasn't really a villain per se). As for the fourth guy with the spray bottle, I have no clue. My best guess would be Second Story Sammy, a robber who found out Hank's identity as Giant-Man, though he that would make his first appearance later than this book is probably set.
    Trago for sure. The rest would have to be before Giant-Man. That rules out Human Top (Whirlwind), Black Knight and a few others. That is the Mad Master of Time. The squirt bottle guy I have no clue. I’m kind of disappointed there is no Egghead on the splash page. I figured he would be the first villain Ewing would use since he made the biggest impact in the early days and much later on.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 07-26-2022 at 04:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    MARVEL TEAM-UP #59-60 is a good story for Jan as well--and sees her get an overdue boost in her power levels.

One of her best Bronze Age appearances! And it's a great follow up Avengers 161-162 in which Hank had another breakdown and helped create Jocasta. It was interesting that Yellowjacket and Wasp got power boosts in MTU written by Claremont -- and then Shooter followed up with showing that in Avengers (but I guess he was editor at the time--- and approved the MTU story).

I just wish Jan's purple cutout outfit from 161 could have lasted for more than one issue -- and that Wonder Man's new costume would have lasted more than a few stories.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    One of her best Bronze Age appearances! And it's a great follow up Avengers 161-162 in which Hank had another breakdown and helped create Jocasta. It was interesting that Yellowjacket and Wasp got power boosts in MTU written by Claremont -- and then Shooter followed up with showing that in Avengers (but I guess he was editor at the time--- and approved the MTU story).

I just wish Jan's purple cutout outfit from 161 could have lasted for more than one issue -- and that Wonder Man's new costume would have lasted more than a few stories.
    OMG! Definitely, The Bride of Ultron is an all-time classic (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-03-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    OMG! Definitely, The Bride of Ultron is an all-time classic (IMHO):

Yes indeed!

The artwork! The coloring! The stories!

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Yes indeed!

The artwork! The coloring! The stories!
    I know, right?! Also, don't forget the last-minute heroics/theatrics...

I know, right?! Also, don't forget the last-minute heroics/theatrics...

Yes, and I loved that a few issues later, Jocasta was used agan in stories as an ally after fighting the team.

Yes, and I loved that a few issues later, Jocasta was used again in stories as an ally after fighting the team.
    Indeed. Both Jan & Jocasta got along surprisingly well. Too bad it was all for naught in the end, though...

Indeed. Both Jan & Jocasta got along surprisingly well. Too bad it was all for naught in the end, though...

Yes, I know, it mad me so sad to see Jocasta tossed aside and forgotten!

Jan and Jocasta got along because Jocasta had Jan's mental patterns to a degree. But it seems even Jan forgot about poor Jocasta...

Well, I have not forgotten Jocasta! She is one of my favorites!