Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'm curious, why did you all chose to Comixology over floppies? The cost is the same but with Comixology, you don' get a copy that you can collect or resell to earn some of the money you spent on it.
    For me it was the gradual worsening of an eye condition. Still fully correctible with glasses, but it got to the point where it was causing me eye strain to read all those little text boxes when someone decided that today they should be red with black text, or dark blue with black text. After dabbling with a Comixology sale or two I discovered the wonders of backlighting made those readable again.

Then there was the appeal of being able to take a sizeable chunk of my collection with me on my daily commute. Or on holiday.

And my back was actually quite happy not to have to keep heaving boxes off shelves, and my fingers appreciated not having to bother pulling individual comics from bags and putting them back again.

I still buy trades and collections of some stuff, and I still have some of my older collection in boxes. But I don’t get them out very often. I voted for convenience and legibility, and if Amazon manages to kill Comixology off I’m sure someone else will eventually step into the gap. Though alas, probably not with transferrable content.

I knew that with the new update, the app would stop working in my old iPad, and, since I don't use it much as to justify buying a new tablet, I guess I'm done with Comixology for a while. I guess I will have to use my girlfriend's iPad to read the Love & Rockets that I couldn't finish before the merge.

Luckly, I hadn't spent more than 10 dollars overall in Comixology in all these years, but it sucks that I can't use it anymore for the time being
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm curious, why did you all chose to Comixology over floppies? The cost is the same but with Comixology, you don' get a copy that you can collect or resell to earn some of the money you spent on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1. Not having to drive an hour to a comic shop. We didn't have a local one where I lived. Not everyone lives in a big city. Or even in a city.

2. Not having to buy enough comics to justify the cost of shipping. I would sometimes only get a few comics per month.

3. To avoid having to pre-order comics three months ahead sight unseen. The shop I was going to, an hour away, actually suggested I pre-order to ensure I wouldn't miss a comic after I missed an issue during one of my monthly trips. They only held comics if you pre-ordered them. And then, if you pre-ordered something, you were obligated to buy it. Or they wouldn't let you pre-order anymore.

4. I had switched to DCBS sometime prior to New52. Ended up pre-ordering the entire New52 line for three months, because they had them in bundles. I didn't know what I would like. I was bound to have FOMO from some random title that I didn't order. I ended up regretting it, as I had three months of 51 titles I didn't care for. Comics I had to purchase three issues of before I even saw the first issues. Comics I dropped before the second or third issues were shipped to me.
    If I had a local shop to go to at the time, that wasn't an hour away, I could've perused them on the shelf and saved myself a lot of money and not worry about missing a book.

5. Space. At the time I switched to digital, my closet was full of comics. I would move a couple years later, in a single-cab truck, in the rain, an hour away (closer to the comic shop, I may add) - and had to make one trip just to carry the comics. It was a tight move. The lease on the new apartment started just a couple days before the lease on my old apartment was ending, and all my friends were working. I decided right then that I had too much stuff.

6. Open 24 hours, accessible and visible. Just like the old days where comics were sold at grocery stores. They were there when you wanted them.

7. Price. $2 a comic is a decent price for a typical comic. $5 a comic is the result of vanity projects and gilded lilies. Comics were fine before they started adding variant covers, foil covers, cardstock covers, shiny paper.

8. If it's something that I may want to get in trade paperback, a digital comic is a cheaper alternative to a floppy if I want to read an issue or two first.

9. Variety. Comic stores are forced by DC and Marvel to push a lot of the indies into the corners. Or not even order them at all, because they deplete the store's funds just to keep plenty of copies of their hundred-issue-mega-event-crossover. Digital gives everyone the same level of exposure and shelf space.

10. I can carry my entire collection with me, wherever I go, if I wish.

I did miss my routine, weekly admiration of comics where I would pull them all out and line them up.
    But then, I also miss the pre-comic bag days where I was more apt to read my comics impulsively because I didn't have to go through the extra step of unbagging them.

I still have full collections of stuff I grew up with in physical floppies: Power Man & Iron Fist, Doctor Strange, Moon Knight, Legion of Super-Heroes, Justice League International, Micronauts v2, Defenders...
    If I were to buy more floppies right now, I'd probably focus on volume one of Spider-Woman and Warlord.

Otherwise, I may buy a trade paperback every now and then. I bought Marvel's Dracula trade last year. The one with the colored black & white stories. But the binding fell apart after a week. Which reminds me, digital comics don't fall apart. Although services can, and do (looking at you, Comixology).
    Pretty much all this. Plus, comixology used to have damn good sales that beat the pants off any garage sale that I've ever seen brick and mortar stores do.

On top of that, for Comixology was really stable for nearly the last two decades so there was a sense of permanence before this latest move.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Pretty much all this. Plus, comixology used to have damn good sales that beat the pants off any garage sale that I've ever seen brick and mortar stores do.

On top of that, for Comixology was really stable for nearly the last two decades so there was a sense of permanence before this latest move.
    And yet another factor, frame by frame advance was a very pleasant way to read quite a few comics. And ability to re-size at will.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I still tend to buy a lot of comics but then I always redeemed the code so that if I traveled I could read them on my tablet. Later I gave the tablet to my sister and bought am Ipad. There were no issues because Comixology y had aps for both.

I tried to deal with the new way of doing things and man, this is just cancer...
    I can't see any releases if I log in my amazon account, I have to stay logged off, open the comics that I want in new tabs, then log in, then add them to wish list or buy them.
    Also, there is a bunch of publishers missing in the new releases, avatar, aftershock, awa, etc.
    Whoever approved this update needs to be fucking killed on the spot.

Fantastic Member

1. Price, 2.99 was okay but 3.99 and 4.99 was just to high a price for a book.
    2. Quality, 10+ years ago I could read 7 books a week, that dried up to 7 books a month and those books got cancelled and it was to hard to find quality replacements.
    3. Trade quality, the new trade paperbacks were terrible so I only read omnibuses and masterworks in hard cover form
    4. Space, I ran out of shelf space and I got cats so piles of flopies have a habit of being a resting spot for my kitties.
    5. Comixology did BOGO's which was great

Just had a go at looking for equivalent to old Comixology weekly sales, and just seeing how easy it would be to search and buy specific comics.

Wow…the new system really appears to be poor. It’s almost as if some one set out with specific intention to reduce comic sales.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's better than it was when it launched but still has a long way to go. I still don't understand why they just didn't copy the functionality of the Comixology site. We are their guinea pigs but they should have had a test site mirroring the app so that they could work out the kinks and then install it in a live environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's better than it was when it launched but still has a long way to go. I still don't understand why they just didn't copy the functionality of the Comixology site. We are their guinea pigs but they should have had a test site mirroring the app so that they could work out the kinks and then install it in a live environment.
    I don't see any improvement, reading on my laptop is still impossible as I literally can't read the text.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

What happened to all the publishers ? There are a bunch of them missing wtf.

The Epic Defenders books are on sale... and I'm holding back from picking them up because of this.
    It's tempting for me to get them, but I've resolved myself to only buying digital comics I can download DRM-free now.

I already have most of them in physical floppies, anyway.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I havent spent a cent since the new update on this dumb ass app and neither should you. If you wanna send them a message and bring it back the way it was, WE need to stop supporting this pile of turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    I havent spent a cent since the new update on this dumb ass app and neither should you. If you wanna send them a message and bring it back the way it was, WE need to stop supporting this pile of turd.
    I haven't bought anything new either. What's the point if I can't read anything I buy on my laptop?

Is there any advantage to using the new Comixology app over the Kindle app? They're pretty much the same at this point, right? I think I'm going to delete Comixology off my iPad and just go with Kindle. I can always redownload it if they give it some worthwhile updates.