Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    So I have to say that I'm actually starting to get used to reading my digital comics using the Kindle app on my tablet. You can also make collections now which is something I've wanted for a very long time. For example, instead of having say all the different Avengers titles all over the place depending the actual title name. I now have one collection for Avengers which contains every volume of Avengers and some Avengers related minis and one shots. A have one collection called Avengers West Coast with every volume plus the original mini, etc. I have a collection for All-Star Comics which starts with the original title from the 40's and ends with the JSA stories from Adventure Comics in the early 80's since they continued from All-Star Comics. I being able to do this because it's more how I handled my physical collection before I sold it.
    That sort into collections feature would be welcome on the Comixology app.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Well, I finally downloaded the last of my comics from Comixology. I'm 95% sure that's all of them, at least. It was only possible because I had around three hundred, not thousands like some of the people in this thread. And it still took every moment of spare time available over three days.

I have a question if anyone is interested: if you've redeemed any codes on Marvel.com since the change, did the new comics port over to Comixology? I'd like to redeem my remaining codes, but there was one report that the comics aren't appearing on Comixology.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Well, I finally downloaded the last of my comics from Comixology. I'm 95% sure that's all of them, at least. It was only possible because I had around three hundred, not thousands like some of the people in this thread. And it still took every moment of spare time available over three days.

I have a question if anyone is interested: if you've redeemed any codes on Marvel.com since the change, did the new comics port over to Comixology? I'd like to redeem my remaining codes, but there was one report that the comics aren't appearing on Comixology.
    I have tested a couple of comics I bought recently but didn't get around to redeeming until yesterday. They were Fantastic Four #40 and Fantastic Four The Reckoning: Alpha. They showed up in my comics directory on Amazon and they also show up when I use the Marvel App on my phone.

I wish Marvel would just make them available on their site and they could appear in the Marvel Unlimited section if I'd rather read them on my desktop PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    What does this page look like for you?

On my google home page, I clicked on the shortcut that used to be Comixology but was overwritten by Amazon.

This is the first time this has happened since the change. Now it takes me directly to this page (highlight is mine)

I browsed my library that I was able to import and I see a lot of comics that I redeemed with the Marvel digital code over the years. Now I can't open them and Amazon wants me to buy them again! I going to have to make another complaint I see. Does anyone else have this come up?

I browsed some of the TPBs that I bought on Comixology and when I am on the desktop I can click through a limited number of pages to preview. Then it wants me to buy it again!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-22-2022 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raginiraj View Post
    THIS IS AN AMAZING FORUM AND IT HAS A LOT OF INFORMATION.I LIKE MARVEL AND DC COMICS
    Hi there and welcome. Did you come here seeking help with Amazon/Comixlogy. There's a lot of good info here. I am learning some stuff too about this Comixology snafu

BTW, to learn the ins and outs of the forum, go to the top of the page and click on this link for some pointers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-22-2022 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    On my google home page, I clicked on the shortcut that used to be Comixology but was overwritten by Amazon.

This is the first time this has happened since the change. Now it takes me directly to this page (highlight is mine)

I browsed my library that I was able to import and I see a lot of comics that I redeemed with the Marvel digital code over the years. Now I can't open them and Amazon wants me to buy them again! I going to have to make another complaint I see. Does anyone else have this come up?

I browsed some of the TPBs that I bought on Comixology and when I am on the desktop I can click through a limited number of pages to preview. Then it wants me to buy it again!
    Yeah, on the desktop, you can't access your copies through the store pages.

For example...

There's no way to read the book from there.
    To view on PC, I have to go into my manage digital content and 'unhide' the comics, then open the Kindle app to download it there.
    Granted, if I left them unhidden, I could just open the Kindle app and download the comic there. I just don't feel like sorting through 3000 comics and however many books I have already on Kindle.

On a tablet or phone, I can just open the app and find it in my library to download.

I just prefer the PC because I can do other stuff, too, and I don't have to worry about the battery.

Yes I redeemed a code on Monday and it showed immediately on my Fire tablet using the Kindle app. Also someone posted on Reddit that Comixology/Amazon confirmed that they are indeed working on the problem with the new Comixology app and the fact that it won't open on Fire tablets anymore.

I guess like a lot of us regular electronic comic buyers I’ve got into habit of looking a comixology sales most weeks….

I looked at the new equivalent yesterday.

My immediate gut impression was “another thing made less user friendly”. Though..to be fair…I suppose in early days of any new system it’s hard to be sure if something is really worse, or just temporarily finding it a bit baffling because it’s new.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I guess like a lot of us regular electronic comic buyers I’ve got into habit of looking a comixology sales most weeks….

I looked at the new equivalent yesterday.

My immediate gut impression was “another thing made less user friendly”. Though..to be fair…I suppose in early days of any new system it’s hard to be sure if something is really worse, or just temporarily finding it a bit baffling because it’s new.
    I'm finding it to be a mixture of both.
    And I agree it's hard to tell the two apart right now.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Thank you, Iron Maiden and M@Bowers2014! I'll redeem some Marvel codes now.

JackDaw, the sales are worse in the sense that they no longer include individual issues. Just trades and graphic novels. It looks like the Kindle store can't handle individual issues, they don't come up in sales or in recommendations.

JackDaw, the sales are worse in the sense that they no longer include individual issues. Just trades and graphic novels. It looks like the Kindle store can't handle individual issues, they don't come up in sales or in recommendations.
    I thought about it after hearing someone else comment about that… alongside something else, and I put 2 and 2 together.
    Amazon loves it’s one-click thing. Because it works so well with impulse buys.
    But imagine a sale, where you must buy every single issue, one at a time, because there’s no cart system.
    First, it would become a chore to buy each one as individual purchases.
    Second, imagine looking at your bank statement.
    And third, imagine how many banks would likely red flag your card or even lock it for protection thinking your card has been compromised.
    All things that would trigger negative reactions to the one-click setup.

Blimey, if the team that designed the Amazon system doesn’t see that as significant weakness you wonder how many potential customers they talked to, and what dialogue they had with the Comixology team.

I actually do think Amazon usually have a strong focus on customer service (it’s one reason they have been so successful), but the way they have gone about this is deeply flawed.

I thought about it after hearing someone else comment about that… alongside something else, and I put 2 and 2 together.
    Amazon loves it’s one-click thing. Because it works so well with impulse buys.
    But imagine a sale, where you must buy every single issue, one at a time, because there’s no cart system.
    And third, imagine how many banks would likely red flag your card or even lock it for protection thinking your card has been compromised.
    These two problems need sorting or they're going to lose a lot of custom, I reckon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It looks to me like whoever was in charge of this project at Amazon didn't consult with the staff at Comixology and just shut them out. It's a different customer base from those who buy clothes, etc. Comics are more of a visual medium then prose novels or non fiction books.

In comics, artists get experimental with the layouts, etc. This one isn't all that complicated but a comic reader mostly gets the panel order right, although sometimes they get some layouts that are out of the norm reading order

For example, I wonder how Amazon's reader would handle this one from Avengers vs X-Men. It's not that complex but it does jump around

From what I can see it works the same way as Kindle eBooks, as microtransactions. If you buy several books/comics below a certain price point one after another, they'll get bundled into the same order until you hit a certain price or expired time threshold, at which point the order gets completed and a new one starts. I see this all the time when I buy an entire series of books in one go, where it'll be 2-4 per transaction. (And per credit card charge.)

As I have fled screaming back to the DC and Marvel apps because the new unimproved Kindlified file format is so huge that my collection will no longer fit on my iPad if I used the comiXology 4.0 app, I bought a handful of books via Amazon just to check that they would show up still on the Marvel app. (They do. Still don't know if pre-July 2021 DC releases will show up in the DC app though, but I know that anything newer than that doesn't link back.) I bought six, and they show up as 4 on one order, 2 on another. They were all comparatively recent titles, so full price. I imagine in a sale you might end up with 8-10 in an order. Though you'd obviously have to find a sale that includes single issues first. :-)

It still sucks that I can't buy an entire run of a comic at once by putting it all in a basket and checking it out in one go though. But it's probably not quite as grim as one credit/debit card charge per comic.

Of course, if Amazon ever have another go at their no-Visa-credit-cards-for-UK-customers stance, my digital comic buying days are probably over, along with my Amazon customer days, but in the meantime I guess I try to find ways of working around their stupidity. The bloated file sizes are the real show stopper for me at this point. Can't expand the storage on my iPad as I bought big in the first place... for the specific reason I wanted my entire comic collection to fit on it.