Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by PUGSSSS001 View Post
    Homosexual visibility in media and acceptance has changed SO MUCH since this storyline from like over two decades ago - so curious how it will play out.
    Just about thirty years. and that is an excellent point about how views on homosexuality and how they would have affected this story then and now. I'd like to read any interview with Gaiman about this difference in times.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

so when can we expect to see some animated prestige interpretations of the 80s - 90s works? Maybe Marvel Studios is waiting until Gaiman is completely done?

I think this is a bit much for Disney to do as an animated series. Just the flashback images from this issue alone...
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobei Miyake View Post
    AIPT gave issue #2 a review of 9.5 - Great

One of the highlights.

Decades later that moment is still a bit chilling and a bit stunning to me.

I still ask what exactly is going on, and what does Young Miracleman do next. We'll get the answer soon, and what comes next is new and never before seen.

I love Miracleman, he's one of my top three favorite comic characters.

1. Kaneda from Katsuhiro Otomo's AKIRA
    2. Killy from Tsutomu Nihei's BLAME!
    3. Miracleman from Neil Gaiman's MIRACLEMAN

There was an article on ways to bring Miracleman into the Marvel Universe.

I like parts of the first way and parts of the third. If I were to just pick one, then I would go with the first one. And they probably shouldn't do it at all, but I choose door number #1 and hope that it's not a disaster.

And if it is a disaster, Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham can always come back after "The Dark Age" and do a "Age of Enlightenment" or an "Age of Reason" story.
    How old is supposed to be Young Miracleman again? And his alter ego?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Tom Brevoort's substack had some discussion on Miracleman:
    https://tombrevoort.substack.com/p/3...e=bleedingcool

I just picked up the Miracleman Omnibus, this week — which I think is the fourth time I've bought these stories — and it got my wheels turning on a few questions that might make for good newsletter fodder, if you're looking for some of that:

1. This might be a question you can't answer yet, but: you mentioned in a recent newsletter that Miracleman's premise is an interesting one to explore in a single series or storyline, but it's not exactly the sort of thing that works and plays well in a larger continuity. And yet it seems like Marvel is gearing up to have some sort of integration of Miracleman into the Marvel Universe. Where do you see the risks and rewards when it comes to bringing such a transformative character into a world that — at least theoretically! — is a single 60+ year story from hundreds of creators over thousands of issues?

2. DC took a lot of heat for making new comics featuring the Watchmen characters without the original creators, after decades of promising that they wouldn't do exactly that thing. Of course, they were entirely within their rights to do so, and I'm sure they sold respectably, or they wouldn't have gone back to that well. What's your take on what DC did right and wrong vis-a-vis Before Watchmen, Doomsday Clock, etc. And how is this informing Marvel's/your approach to Miracleman, another seminal '80s series from The Original Writer that exists in its own world?

3. As we're on the cusp of Miracleman joining the Marvel Universe in some capacity, what do you think are some of the best and worst examples of bringing another company's characters to a new publisher? I feel like the Justice Society's formation in the 1940s is probably the best-case scenario, with Guy-Who-Says-Shazam! feeling like a missed opportunity in the '70s (though there are certainly worse examples).

Taking them by number:

We'll have to wait and see what the story is at any point where we decide to intermingle Miracleman with the mainstream Marvel Universe, but at first blush, I think it would be not so different from putting the WATCHMEN characters into the DC Universe. Which is to say, I think it made them less special. The thing that makes MIRACLEMAN noteworthy, which was also true for WATCHMEN, was that its world was consistent. That very structure was necessary for the conceit of both series: how the arrival of a super-powered individual would permanently distort the fabric of human society. While I suppose there's some fannish pleasure to be had in seeing Doctor Manhattan trade barbs with Superman or for Batman to face off against Rorschach, the fact is that, in the DC Universe, those characters just become another set of masks and tights in a veritable sea of them. Likewise, in the Marvel Universe, Miracleman would just be another Sentry, another Blue Marvel, another Hyperion—a guy who could go toe-to-toe with Thor but who wasn't intrinsically any more interesting in that context than that. What makes MIRACLEMAN interesting is that it isn't a super hero story at all, not really. It's a science fiction story, with all of its otherworldly changes being traceable back to a single event: the cashing of a Qys spaceship in the late 1940s. Pretty much all of the super-powered stuff in the series (apart from the assorted aliens, and ultimately it was their ship in the first place) comes from that on inciting incident. As soon as you throw some other element into that pool, the verisimilitude of the world is completely changed, and it just becomes another in an infinite series of parallel worlds, another Earth-22 or whatever. So I don't really have any issue with, for example, doing a series of fun cover images showing Miracleman interacting with the Marvel heroes, but having him show up for a crossover would work as well for me as TOTAL ECLIPSE did back in the day —a stylistic disaster better off avoided. Doesn't mean that there's no way to do it at all, but it does mean that it would require a lot of brainpower and deliberation.
    Back when BEFORE WATCHMEN was announced and people were arguing the relative merits of it, I put forward my thoughts—and they really haven't changed all that much since then. To wit: I personally don't think there's a whole lot of need for any WATCHMEN prequels (and the eventual comics did little to persuade me otherwise; I really only thought that Darwyn Cooke's MINUTEMEN was really worth the effort) but if Marvel had owned WATCHMEN, those characters would have been revived and folded into the Marvel Universe decades earlier, because they represent strong raw materials with a built-in audience. Plus, so long as doing so feels transgressive, readers are going to show up to see the car crash (even if they wind up liking it once they experience it.) So I kind of think that it was inevitable, in the same way that it's likely similarly inevitable that we'll see Miracleman hanging around with the Avengers one of these days in some manner. So DC wasn't intrinsically wrong to do what they did, the only real quantifier was in how good the eventual comic books were. So if you liked BEFORE WATCHMEN and DOOMSDAY CLOCK, then it was worth doing, and if you don't, then it wasn't.
    I think that most of the best and worst versions of that sort of character integration can be found within the DC umbrella, simply because over the years they've done so much more of that than anybody else. Heck, what we think of today as DC was actually two separate companies with some owners in common that were merged in 1947—before that, Wonder Woman, the Flash and Green Lantern were published by different guys that Superman, Batman and Robin. So to me, for example, I don't think that the Charlton characters have been all that well served by their time as part of the DCU—but that's entirely down to me having encountered them before that era. If they hadn't been absorbed into DC, few people would remember them at all. The same is true of the assorted Quality characters, and even the bigger guns of the 1940s such as Blackhawk, Plastic Man and Captain Marvel would largely be things of the past with only a small group of hardcore aficionados today were they not similarly brought into the fold. I also feel like the Wildstorm characters have largely suffered in trying to make them integrate into the DC cosmology time and time again—which is funny, because that's one that I don't really think should be so difficult. It probably doesn't help that the DC Universe, like the Marvel Universe, is already such a crowded landscape, with the characters who form its pillars already solidified. It's tough to be Apollo and Midnighter in a world where the original Batman and Superman are running around, to the point where you're much more nakedly a riff on the World's Finest Team rather than entirely individual players. At Marvel, we've done less of this kind of character-absorption. I'd say that Daredevil worked out pretty well, even if the character was completely reinvented. And Ghost Rider was made to work once he left the old west and was recreated in the present day. I don't think we've quite found the answer to what to do with Angela yet, though—removed from her connection to the SPAWN mythos, there's not all that much to her, and our attempts to cement her into Thor's family tree haven't entirely taken off the way we might have hoped.

And i think to myself... What a wonderful Comic. This is the good stuff right here. Talk about setting a scene. I went from thinking Dickie must be protected at all costs to feeling a sense of dread when i saw Miracle Man with his costume and wondered why his initials basically go to say "Yum". Miracle Woman is not right in the head and i don't get why she would be pushing such a topic with her lover over what is essentially a week old kid in essence. She is super creepy. Poor Dickie, his first kiss in this new life maybe ever (still haven't opened the ominbus yet.) and it was basically stolen. Miracle man at least could have given dude more time to process never even being in a city. And again, Dickie must be protected at all cost. lol

Can't wait until the next issue comes out. Some of the panels that stood out to me. The art was just superb the emotion, the flow.

miracle.jpg
    miracle2.jpg
    miracle3.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM: THE SILVER AGE #6

NEIL GAIMAN (W) • MARK BUCKINGHAM (A/C)

• Young Miracleman has been found.
    • Now what?
    • One Miracleman decided to destroy the world and almost did. Another Miracleman decided to rebuild the world in his own image and DID IT. What will this Miracleman do?
    Is it the end of "The Silver Age"?

The Neil Gaiman stories in the late 80s and early 90s were my first introduction (I didn't read the Alan Moore stories until the Marvel series).

EDIT:

So things will soon go bad.
    Last edited by Tobei Miyake; 12-22-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobei Miyake View Post

Is it the end of "The Silver Age"?

The Neil Gaiman stories in the late 80s and early 90s were my first introduction (I didn't read the Alan Moore stories until the Marvel series).

EDIT:

So things will soon go bad.
    Really hoping we'll get the final arc (The Dark Age) at some point, to see the whole story completed.
    I mean, I waited around 5 years (?) between reading up on all the Marvel reissues before finally getting to see The Silver Age see the light of day. And it has been worth the wait!

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Really hoping we'll get the final arc (The Dark Age) at some point, to see the whole story completed.
    I mean, I waited around 5 years (?) between reading up on all the Marvel reissues before finally getting to see The Silver Age see the light of day. And it has been worth the wait!
    Imagine those of us who picked up Eclipse's Miracleman 24 off the stands and have been waiting for nearly 30 years. Just the fact the book is only six days away doesn't seem real.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Imagine those of us who picked up Eclipse's Miracleman 24 off the stands and have been waiting for nearly 30 years. Just the fact the book is only six days away doesn't seem real.
    Such a wonderful page to start the book.

Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Such a wonderful page to start the book.

Finally.
    Won't be able to pick it up until this weekend, but after diving into all things Miracleman 5 years ago...including the publishing history...the sheer miracle of this "next issue" seeing print EVER is pretty astounding.
    Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Won't be able to pick it up until this weekend, but after diving into all things Miracleman 5 years ago...including the publishing history...the sheer miracle of this "next issue" seeing print EVER is pretty astounding.
    Can't wait.
    The real killer is the text box at the end of the letter page of Miracleman 24 that said "Coming Soon: Miracleman 25. We promise"