Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Also, can we get back to the topic? This is about the Nubia: Coronation Special #1. There is another thread to discuss power debates.

I was impressed by most of the art in this book. And I really liked that discussion between Nubia and J'Onn.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Also, can we get back to the topic? This is about the Nubia: Coronation Special #1. There is another thread to discuss power debates.

I was impressed by most of the art in this book. And I really liked that discussion between Nubia and J'Onn.
    Yeah I was surprised they went there and then I thought "this is how a Nubia book should be". If Wonder Woman challenges gender politics, Nubia should do the same for racial issues. Let them tackle injustice and societal problems from different angles.

That was a nice appearance. Would be cool if he shows up again maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That was a nice appearance. Would be cool if he shows up again maybe.
    Funny you should say that because:

Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League – Wonder Woman #1 – Tini Howard (w) and Leila Del Duca (a); Martian Manhunter backup by Dan Watters (w) and Bandon Peterson (a)
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/05/02/dc...dark-crisis-1/
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...tion-special-1

I was already blown away by how great Nubia & The Amazons was, but Nubia: Coronation Special #1 (by much of the same creative team) is even better. A complete celebration of the character of Nubia, this one-shot explores Nubia at various points in her life and cemented her as one of the top Wonder Woman family characters.
    I found the juxtaposition between her life in what can be assumed as Africa and her experience in the United States well done. Her conversation on racism and sexism was especially poignant. I am a fan of Nubia, and this re-working of history is extremely interesting. I am excited to read more about her adventures in the future.
    I wasn’t sure what to expect from Nubia: Coronation Special, but as always DC Comics delivers on good anthology storytelling. Each tale offers a bit of commentary on Nubia, but the larger world too, and how we can make it better. Not only am I excited for more Nubia tales, but I’m glad the message of peace and prosperity is at the forefront when the world seems to be on fire. Nubia Coronation Special is a reminder the future of the Amazons is brighter because of Nubia and her outlook on the world.

Incredible Member

I was chatting with Stephanie Williams and Vita Ayala on Twitter and sales for the Nubia limited series were quite impressive, enough for DC to give her an additional special, the one we're talking about now, and an additional limited series. And it looks like there may be something beyond that as well. Whoever doesn't like the character or feels she threatens Diana's place in the hierarchy certainly has a right to express that opinion and choose not to buy her books.

But Nubia readers will be over here like:

Got me chair dancing!

I was chatting with Stephanie Williams and Vita Ayala on Twitter and sales for the Nubia limited series were quite impressive, enough for DC to give her an additional special, the one we're talking about now, and an additional limited series. And it looks like there may be something beyond that as well. Whoever doesn't like the character or feels she threatens Diana's place in the hierarchy certainly has a right to express that opinion and choose not to buy her books.

But Nubia readers will be over here like:

Nice. (10char)
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I would have gladly foregone three of those pin-ups for more story. Jeez Louise.

They couldn’t figure out a way to have Sauvage illustrate the final page of the coronation? The switch in artwork (for what was essentially another pin-up) was jarring.

The Man’s World segment with the guest star was the highlight.

NGL…much like the way I felt about Yara, I’m not exactly getting the hype with Nubia…yet. Call me old-fashioned, but I think Wonder Fam members ought to be introduced and allowed to prove themselves in Diana’s book first.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Stephanie Williams tweets about Nubia and the influence in George Perez's WW run, what better way to honor you by showing that you were a source of inspiration.

The idea to open up Themyscira to Man’s World for Nubia’s coronation in Nubia: Coronation Special #1 came from Wonder Woman (1987) #37.
    Inspiration to set Nubia’s pre-well origin in a time long long long ago…yep you guessed Wonder Woman (1987) #1
    The Nubia and the Amazon series and the Coronation Special are all DEEPLY inspired by George Pérez and Len Wein’s work on Wonder Woman.
    The heart of the Amazons rings true throughout George Pérez’s work on the Wonder Woman series. So when asking who Nubia could be if she had been an active character in comics, that’s where we started, and it all grew from there.
    https://twitter.com/Steph_I_Will/sta...71729869803520

Ok I'm just gonna rant for a minute. I loved, loved, loved that flashforward to a future Themyscira because of the unique architecture (very reminiscent if Gaudi) which is something Paradise Island definitely needs insteas of the boring Ancient Greexe aesthetic. I also loved that it brought back the sci-fi edge to these characters.

I think the origin of the tribes was cool though I wish it showed some kind of trauma that haunted Nubia rather than just a tragedy.

As far as the Martian Manhunter sequence, it represents everything I dislike about how a certain vision of the Wonder Woman writers like to write these stories.

It's perfectly legitimate to wanna explore race in america or otherwise in a Nubia story. But this was an empty story. I felt like I was reading a book for 4 year olds. Seriously. The best way they can think of to explore this topic is with two racist cops lying about what happened?

And beyond that, speeches are incredibly important in Wonder Woman stories, but most writers don't know how to write one, and this one about race was terrible.

It was written like a politician speaking in platitudes. No texture, no craftmanship, just obliquious statement. It didn't feel like a human being using the art of words to express an invisible but intimate emotion. Read James Baldwin or Nikki Giovanni.

Look at how Kelly Sue Deconnick is exploring gender dynamics in Historia and the incredible dialogue! That scene in issue 2 where they talk about a bear that wants to be a bird. Fcking powerful. And everything else that those characters say in that world. It's unforgettable and irresistable.

It's not just about the coronation special, it's about every single modern story that tries to explore these questions aside from Historia. I can't recommend this to anyone until these writers figure out what they're doing.

My only issue with the convo with J'onn was that it was with J'onn.

I love him, and this reminds me a lot of how he was perceived when I read JLA, but I wish Nubia had that convo with another Black hero rather than a Martian whose chosen human form happens to be Black.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    My only issue with the convo with J'onn was that it was with J'onn.

I love him, and this reminds me a lot of how he was perceived when I read JLA, but I wish Nubia had that convo with another Black hero rather than a Martian whose chosen human form happens to be Black.
    I totally get this, and I had this thought as well, but I get why it made the most sense to use J'onn - he's the only major Black (or I guess Black-presenting...?) hero who works for the police. I wouldn't be surprised if they had this debate in the writing process before deciding he was the only character they could work into the narrative.