Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    And how many of them are going to forget she's supposed to be the super buff Amazon...
    I really don't get why they changed her. Her muscles separated her from most of the other Amazons visually.

That said, I'm so excited for this.

NUBIA COVER.jpg

Sticking with the asymmetrical theme of Nubia's usual bodice, notice the lion on her velour track suit jacket, the strap on her top matches the strap on her sneakers and how the blue of the gown extends not only to her nails, but also the jewels in the lion's mouths.

I loved this special, exploring Nubia's past is really good, establishing her even more interestingly as a "new" character in the wonder family.
    My only but is the fact that when they explore her near future they don't let on much about it.
    Now I'm excitedly waiting for the new mini series to arrive.

The Wonder Family <3

Last edited by Sebastianne; 05-03-2022 at 12:39 PM.

Not a bad issue.

spoilers:
    Thought Manhunter's human disguise looked familiar. I think the artist modeled it after the actor who played on one of the CW shows
    end of spoilers

I liked this pinup.

Really enjoyed the issue. The only thing I didn’t like was Nubia’s face with Jill Thompson’s art. And shockingly I was looking forward to her to seeing how she drew Nubia and wasn’t happy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I loved this special, exploring Nubia's past is really good, establishing her even more interestingly as a "new" character in the wonder family.
    My only but is the fact that when they explore her near future they don't let on much about it.
    Now I'm excitedly waiting for the new mini series to arrive.

The Wonder Family <3

I don’t know why it’s really funny to think of the Amazons getting spaceships and doing cosmic stuff

Either way really liked this issue, it was a real nice series of events for Nubia and really is what she deserves as officially named Queen.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Even funnier is when they are shot out of canon and into space while yelling Hola:

Source: WW Vol 1 #210

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Even funnier is when they are shot out of canon and into space while yelling Hola:

Source: WW Vol 1 #210
    This is absolutely hilarious! Makes me feel like a kid again. LOL!
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Overall I liked it but some things that made me go huh?

-Why are the Esquida tribe crowning Nubia as their Queen? Their own Queen wasnt even at the event. They had no interest in the Bana/Themis squabble. They were only there to ensure that their forest was returned to normal.

-Why....out of NOWHERE are we just inviting the world to see Nubia crowned as Queen of ALL Amazons? There is zero lead up to this. We havent worked out this new Amazon world order...where does Faruka stand in this in terms of power? Are the Bana now immortal?

-They missed a PRIME opportunity to have Nubia wear her OG armor in her flashback, probably my fave story in the coronation.

-where does Diana stand in terms of importance/power w/the Amazons? She was their long running Princess after all.

The entire event has seemed to take the most uninteresting story route in favor of "everyone is one big happy family now"

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Overall I liked it but some things that made me go huh?

-Why are the Esquida tribe crowning Nubia as their Queen? Their own Queen wasnt even at the event. They had no interest in the Bana/Themis squabble. They were only there to ensure that their forest was returned to normal.

-Why....out of NOWHERE are we just inviting the world to see Nubia crowned as Queen of ALL Amazons? There is zero lead up to this. We havent worked out this new Amazon world order...where does Faruka stand in this in terms of power? Are the Bana now immortal?

-They missed a PRIME opportunity to have Nubia wear her OG armor in her flashback, probably my fave story in the coronation.

-where does Diana stand in terms of importance/power w/the Amazons? She was their long running Princess after all.

The entire event has seemed to take the most uninteresting story route in favor of "everyone is one big happy family now"
    Didn't you read the ending to Trials? They all held hands and sang to close the demon door thing, because sisterhood, that makes Nubia queen, it's all in the subtext.

Real talk, I don't think the team actually cares where Diana stands tbh. Like I said before, I like Nubia, love the push, but they didn't need to effectively destroy Diana's family for her to be Queen. AND just decide to ignore the fact that Diana should technically be queen because Nubia is still unconfirmed to be Diana's sister, which like they should both be queen? Diana as a princess is effectively over. Its never brought up and why would it be, when you have a queen. I feel like the team (and DC at large) is just over compensating for lost time with Nubia with this massive push into being queen, I don't understand why she couldn't have been stated as the future Wonder Woman instead of pushing Yara in that direction.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I thought this was really good, and I will definitely be checking out the next Nubia mini series.

Her past pre-reincarnation was interesting (I wonder if this will be related to the "old enemy" mentioned in the solicits for Nubia Queen of the Amazons). And I greatly enjoyed her conversation with the guest star.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Didn't you read the ending to Trials? They all held hands and sang to close the demon door thing, because sisterhood, that makes Nubia queen, it's all in the subtext.

Real talk, I don't think the team actually cares where Diana stands tbh. Like I said before, I like Nubia, love the push, but they didn't need to effectively destroy Diana's family for her to be Queen. AND just decide to ignore the fact that Diana should technically be queen because Nubia is still unconfirmed to be Diana's sister, which like they should both be queen? Diana as a princess is effectively over. Its never brought up and why would it be, when you have a queen. I feel like the team (and DC at large) is just over compensating for lost time with Nubia with this massive push into being queen, I don't understand why she couldn't have been stated as the future Wonder Woman instead of pushing Yara in that direction.
    I prefer “princess” as an honorific. For one thing it’s both out of character and hilariously impractical to make Themyscira a hereditary monarchy but also Diana is the Amazon who spends the least time on the island. Not exactly qualified to lead over the women running things full-time.

I also love Nubia as queen but agree that they should have done it without killing off Hippolyta. The end of the issue establishes that Themyscira is fully connected with the outside world - why couldn’t they have made Hippolyta ambassador and Nubia queen (or vice versa)? I am glad they didn’t just make her future/backup Wonder Woman, though - she deserves to stand on her own rather than just being a legacy character or second fiddle to Diana. It does leave Yara in limbo though…maybe they should do a joint Yara/Donna book where they mope about how they have nothing to do.

Either way this special was great and gets me super excited for the series. Really liked the story with spoilers:
    Martian Manhunter
    end of spoilers in particular. I get why people are annoyed that the events of TotA seem to be over with so quickly but honestly I’m glad they’re kinda getting back to business as usual and suspect Artemis’ one-shot will be more of a continuation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I thought this was really good, and I will definitely be checking out the next Nubia mini series.

Her past pre-reincarnation was interesting (I wonder if this will be related to the "old enemy" mentioned in the solicits for Nubia Queen of the Amazons). And I greatly enjoyed her conversation with the guest star.
    I loved the pre-reincarnation stuff. It felt very 80s sword & sorcery and I want more of it.

Maybe after WW3 we can get a Nubia film that uses this backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    I prefer “princess” as an honorific. For one thing it’s both out of character and hilariously impractical to make Themyscira a hereditary monarchy but also Diana is the Amazon who spends the least time on the island. Not exactly qualified to lead over the women running things full-time.

I also love Nubia as queen but agree that they should have done it without killing off Hippolyta. The end of the issue establishes that Themyscira is fully connected with the outside world - why couldn’t they have made Hippolyta ambassador and Nubia queen (or vice versa)? I am glad they didn’t just make her future/backup Wonder Woman, though - she deserves to stand on her own rather than just being a legacy character or second fiddle to Diana. It does leave Yara in limbo though…maybe they should do a joint Yara/Donna book where they mope about how they have nothing to do.

Either way this special was great and gets me super excited for the series. Really liked the story with spoilers:
    Martian Manhunter
    end of spoilers in particular. I get why people are annoyed that the events of TotA seem to be over with so quickly but honestly I’m glad they’re kinda getting back to business as usual and suspect Artemis’ one-shot will be more of a continuation of it.
    How is it impractical and out of character for the amazons to have a queen? Seems like we'd have to ignore the fact that Hippolyta is not some mad queen that does whatever she wants or act like she doesn't have a counsel that she listens to and that they can make decisions without her. The comics haven't really dived into the political landscape of Themyscira. All we know is that there is a queen and that she's good for the most part. But like, what makes her a good queen? What's Hippolyta's tax return policy?

I get where you're coming from, but Nubia being queen means that she DIDN'T stand on her own and is a legacy. Making Nubia queen, to me, says "Nubia probably won't be important on her own, let's give her Hippolyta's title and job and still have her do what Diana does just because". So, they killed off Diana's mom distastefully (yes, it will probably be revealed that it was all part of some grandiose plan or something) and gave Nubia a position she already had because Hippolyta gave it to her when Diana died the first time around.

Nubia is, supposed to be, Diana's equal in raw power, she frankly SHOULD be next in line for the title. I don't think that's something to be mad or ashamed at. Like, Nubia is basically the logical next line of defense if Diana goes down.... That's cool to me and comes with a lot of potential for stories. I'd love to see twin sister's Diana and Nubia going off on wild epic adventures, fighting cosmic gods, and hanging out, doing things that only those two can conceivably do. It's like Thor and Beta Ray Bill, but like cooler imo. Almost everything that they are doing with Nubia screams "she's a superhero like Diana too guys". She has a costume, they gave her a unique weapon, she's set to go out into "man's world" on missions in her book. What does that have to do with being queen if she, like Diana, isn't going to be there 24/7?

Again, I like Nubia, I'm glad she's made a comeback, I'm just not fully on board with what they're choosing to do with her.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    How is it impractical and out of character for the amazons to have a queen? Seems like we'd have to ignore the fact that Hippolyta is not some mad queen that does whatever she wants or act like she doesn't have a counsel that she listens to and that they can make decisions without her. The comics haven't really dived into the political landscape of Themyscira. All we know is that there is a queen and that she's good for the most part. But like, what makes her a good queen? What's Hippolyta's tax return policy?

I get where you're coming from, but Nubia being queen means that she DIDN'T stand on her own and is a legacy. Making Nubia queen, to me, says "Nubia probably won't be important on her own, let's give her Hippolyta's title and job and still have her do what Diana does just because". So, they killed off Diana's mom distastefully (yes, it will probably be revealed that it was all part of some grandiose plan or something) and gave Nubia a position she already had because Hippolyta gave it to her when Diana died the first time around.

Nubia is, supposed to be, Diana's equal in raw power, she frankly SHOULD be next in line for the title. I don't think that's something to be mad or ashamed at. Like, Nubia is basically the logical next line of defense if Diana goes down.... That's cool to me and comes with a lot of potential for stories. I'd love to see twin sister's Diana and Nubia going off on wild epic adventures, fighting cosmic gods, and hanging out, doing things that only those two can conceivably do. It's like Thor and Beta Ray Bill, but like cooler imo. Almost everything that they are doing with Nubia screams "she's a superhero like Diana too guys". She has a costume, they gave her a unique weapon, she's set to go out into "man's world" on missions in her book. What does that have to do with being queen if she, like Diana, isn't going to be there 24/7?

Again, I like Nubia, I'm glad she's made a comeback, I'm just not fully on board with what they're choosing to do with her.
    You might have been right pre-Crisis, but starting with Perez, when has it ever been shown that Nubia is more powerful than your average amazon? Or, if she does have powers that puts her on Diana's level, when was it ever shown, stated or explained how this happened?