Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Considering the preview states this is about Peter's judgement as part of the AXE event what do you think?
    You weren't asking me, but I'm thinking why is Peter's judgement about Gwen's death - which was really due to the Green Goblin - and not Uncle Ben's death, in which Peter's hubris played a direct role and it's the inciting incident that kicked off the entire series?

But Uncle Ben doesn't look as good in a miniskirt...

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    If it's considered non-canonical, Spider-man Blue is great story. I oppose some of the characterizations and think the writer should've reviewed old canon so it wouldn't have clashed as much. Interesting for you to mention SM:B, since I've long suspected its reception among comic readers helped kick-start Marvel's current Gwen fixation.
    Co-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Corollary to counter-counter opinion: I wish Disney would throw money at Greg Wiseman to finish Spectacular Spider-Man.
    Given the gradual drop of quality of Young Justice, I wouldn't trust Weisman with Spectacular anymore lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I hope but Marvel is dumb af
    They're dumb alright, and the fanbase will be even dumber if they give Marvel money.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Have you guys seen this?

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/am...-judgment-day/

"Gwen Stacy might be making another comeback in the pages of The Amazing Spider-Man. The upcoming Avengers/X-Men/Eternals event series A.X.E.: Judgment Day will feature a number of tie-ins debuting in August, and one of those is Amazing Spider-Man #10. Peter Parker is already dealing with a chaotic new status quo under the guidance of writer Zeb Wells and artist John Romita Jr., and his life will only get more complicated when Spider-Man is judged for the moment that Gwen Stacy died in his arms back in 1973's Amazing Spider-Man #121.

ComicBook.com can exclusively reveal the cover and solicitation for August's Amazing Spider-Man #10, a tie-in to the A.X.E.: Judgment Day event. The cover by John Romita Jr. features an unmasked Spider-Man down on one knee as Gwen Stacy stands before him in her classic green jacket, purple skirt, and black boots. The events of Judgment Day seemingly reunite Peter and Gwen once again, with Marvel calling it a "very special issue that might break your heart all over again."

Spider-Man editor Nick Lowe gave an enthusiastic statement regarding the issue. "GWEN. STACY." Lowe said. "Need we say more?"

616 Gwen looks so done with this already

Either bring her back or don't, but stop using her as a "Well we haven't made Peter feel astronomically guilty yet... what can we do...oh alright, bring up Gwen Stacy again!"

At this point they try to shoehorn her in so often they may as well just bring her back to life, resurrect her on Krakoa and make her a Mutant.. just DO SOMETHING other than these same old tired cliche teases where you're either guilting Peter, or it's a fake out.

The best thing they've done with 616 Gwen as of late is retcon Sins Past. At this point however, either bring her back or just stop with the nonsense.

Again, even 616 Gwen looks done with this nonsense like "Again....a-freaking-gain..."

Seriously.. if you're so excited you just wanna go "GWEN.. STACY" to promote your comic.. just bring the 616 version back alive into main continuity. Make her a Mutant, make her human, give her powers, make her with Peter, put her with Felicia, do whatever!! Just stop doing this tease where she only exists solely to guilt trip or motivate Peter from beyond the grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Given the gradual drop of quality of Young Justice, I wouldn't trust Weisman with Spectacular anymore lol.
    Spec at least doesn't have all the conceptual issues that plague YJ (too many characters, unfocused, protagonists rarely significantly succeed).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spec at least doesn't have all the conceptual issues that plague YJ (too many characters, unfocused, protagonists rarely significantly succeed).
    Don't forget timeskips, and isn't trying to be bigger than it really is (Since YJ tries to pretend it's a DC world cartoon, which lines up with your "too many characters" point).

Still though, YJ still has a noticeable drop of quality per season, season 2 started most of its major problems, but it still managed to be a fun season, season 3 was meh, season 4 started alright, but then each arc was worse than the previous one, Zatanna's was crap and I don't really care about trying Kaldur'ahm's arc right now, I watched one episode of it and was thinking "eh...".

My point is that while season 2 had its problems, it still managed to keep its quality well enough, something the other two seasons aren't doing, and it makes me legit think that maybe the cartoon would be better off if it stayed cancelled.

There is one irony I find hilarious though, Superman was a douche in season 1 with how much he ignored Conner, only randomly decided to give him attention at the end of the season, in season 2, he improved a little bit with his relationship with Conner, in season 3 we get a few more scenes and it's implied he's hanging out with Conner a lot because he says "stay whelmed", which's a cute dorky scene, and then season 4 he has a post credit scene where he's talking with Lois and gets worried over Jon's powers developing as a baby, and he has a scene where he talks to Jon about death and voices his regrets over how he ignored Jon in season 1, so now his character improved even more, and it's really ironic that the worst the cartoon gets, the more his personality improves, it's such a weird parasitical relationship, makes me think his niceness is powered by bad writing .

Of course I would love Gwen Stacy to return. I just feel like they have played this game so many time with misleading cover art, so I am not getting my hopes up.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Spectacular Member

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-spider-ma...tes-downsides/

I'd consider Mephisto more of a problem than Gwen tbh. It's the execution of her resurrection that continuously bugs me. After what was done to both Harry and Ben, I don't think Marvel comics has the maturity to bring her back as a friend and ally and develop her as a character. It cheapens death and the message behind the Jackal's creation, but these random visits add nothing. Do it or don't. Suggesting only later middle aged readers care about her return is needlessly combative.
    Last edited by Tabs; 05-17-2022 at 12:48 AM.

Unhappy

....They're dumb alright, and the fanbase will be even dumber if they give Marvel money.

Perhaps, but Spidey hasn't suffered for sales since OMD. Unless readers vote with their wallets which I highly doubt, this sort of crap ain't going nowhere. I honestly think not enough people care about quality (they are happy with the same vacuous punch-punch kick-kick then major ultimately meaningless crisis rinse and repeat stories) to make a difference in sales so we might as well pinch our noses and live with the stench.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-18-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Perhaps, but Spidey hasn't suffered for sales since OMD. Unless readers vote with their wallets which I highly doubt, this sort of crap ain't going nowhere. I honestly think not enough people care about quality (they are happy with the same vacuous punch-punch kick-kick then major ultimately meaningless crisis rinse and repeat stories) to make a difference in sales so we might as well pinch our noses and live with the stench.
    The problem is that Spidey unironically suffers from success, whatever stupid decision Marvel makes, it will keep selling, if not even Clone Saga killed this franchise, then he's pretty close to being unkillable.

I'm on the opinion that people should drop stuff if it starts to suck too much, 'cause loyalty is pretty harmful if it goes too far, and Spidey is peak example.

I'm dropping ASM for at least 6 months because ASM#1 vol 6 was so, insultingly boring, and yes, I'm aware it can get better, and hell, Tombstone and Digger were alright in it, but Spider-Man wasn't, he was the worst thing of his own damn comic, if they're fucking relaunching this title, it should've started better, without Spidey being that unlikable *******, and even if I were willing to give them a chance, that fucking last page happens.

I mean ****, I don't covert butthurt into checking out their stuff more, that's a waste of my time I could use for something more fun, like watching paint dry.

The problem is that Spidey unironically suffers from success, whatever stupid decision Marvel makes, it will keep selling, if not even Clone Saga killed this franchise, then he's pretty close to being unkillable.

I'm on the opinion that people should drop stuff if it starts to suck too much, 'cause loyalty is pretty harmful if it goes too far, and Spidey is peak example.

I'm dropping ASM for at least 6 months because ASM#1 vol 6 was so, insultingly boring, and yes, I'm aware it can get better, and hell, Tombstone and Digger were alright in it, but Spider-Man wasn't, he was the worst thing of his own damn comic, if they're fucking relaunching this title, it should've started better, without Spidey being that unlikable *******, and even if I were willing to give them a chance, that fucking last page happens.

I mean ****, I don't covert butthurt into checking out their stuff more, that's a waste of my time I could use for something more fun, like watching paint dry.
    I agree with you completely. I stopped watching both Doctor Who and Star Trek Discovery in recent years because of how terrible they became. I figure life is too short to be miserable. I've never been a fan of "hate-watching" or "hate-reading" a product. Heck, I dropped Spidey comics for several years between BND and Superior Spiderman (I later caught up with the major events I had missed) because I saw no point in torturing myself after such a massive retcon (and I'm not just talking about the marriage) that I hated.

Edit - I have stopped reading Spider-Gwen exclusive comics recently because I'm bored with the meme a once unique character has been reduced to.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-18-2022 at 10:27 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I agree with you completely. I stopped watching both Doctor Who and Star Trek Discovery in recent years because of how terrible they became. I figure life is too short to be miserable. I've never been a fan of "hate-watching" or "hate-reading" a product. Heck, I dropped Spidey comics for several years between BND and Superior Spiderman (I later caught up with the major events I had missed) because I saw no point in torturing myself after such a massive retcon (and I'm not just talking about the marriage) that I hated.
    Yeah people can twist loyalty in weird ways if they hate watch something lol.

I mean ****, many years ago, when Devil May Cry got that silly DmC reboot, I've seen plenty of DMC fans deciding to play that reboot, just to confirm it was bad, you have to be very stupid to think that's a good idea.

Thankfully DMC is niche, so even with people like those playing the game, it still failed, and that allowed DMC5 to happen (Even if it has one of the most obnoxiously boring characters to play as I've ever seen in the form of V, but that's another story).

Edit - I have stopped reading Spider-Gwen exclusive comics recently because I'm bored with the meme a once unique character has been reduced to.
    I have yet to check her first issues, the stuff from the last issues she had were whatever with the Watchers and Earth-617 Gwen, and McGuire who took over afterwards wasn't really impressive as a writer, and moving her to 616 is stupid...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah I think that Spectacular would have stayed focused on "The Education of Peter Parker". While Spectacular didn't get the opportunity to handle some characters (Robbie was Robbed!), they only focused on characters when their lives were going to impact Peter's in a way. So I don't think we'd have the same problems as Young Justice...unless there is a Disney/Marvel mandate to bring Miles Morales and the other random Spider people like Silk in...and turn Gwen Stacy into Spider Gwen as well as letting Flash get a piece of that Symbiote action. THEN we'd suffer the too many characters fate...much like the Spidey shows that came afterward.

Astonishing Member

I have yet to check her first issues, the stuff from the last issues she had were whatever with the Watchers and Earth-617 Gwen, and McGuire who took over afterwards wasn't really impressive as a writer, and moving her to 616 is stupid...
    I enjoyed Latour's and Rodriguez's take, although their Gwen leaned a little too hard on "mope" for me to care deeply about the character. But her world was lots of fun.

Seanan McGuire is an excellent novelist, both under her name and under the Mira Grant pen name. But I have to agree her take on Spider-Gwen was less than impressive. I was really looking forward to her stint on Spider-Gwen and yeah, no.

I will always have a morbid fondness for how much of a hot mess Gwen was in the Latour/Rodriguez run.

BANNED

Back in 2021, I re-edited Amazing Spider-Man#121 using pages from What If#24, if anyone wants the PDF of it, just PM me.