Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gwen Stacy Appreciation Thread 2022

I realised there isn't one of these for Gwen (there is one for Spider-Gwen, but not original Gwen) so I thought I'd make one? Hopefully that's not stepping on anyone's toes.

Here, have a picture of Gwen chilling out on a pier after a night of drinking.

gwenstacy.jpg
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

BANNED

If there was no previous thread, I wonder whose toe you'd be stepping on.

PS: nice pic, reminds me of Zulli, but can't recall him drawing the character.

BANNED

Bleeding Cool are covering the Amazon listing for the trade collection of the short-lived mini-series, now known as Who's That Girl, and can confirm the listing is indeed genuine and that solicits will be coming soon.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gwen...tion-mia-list/

Extraordinary Member

Ngl I was hoping this mini would stay dead

Gwen isn't written anything like Gwen, Gwen and Norman interactions are sick in the worst way(I did ask the writer and he said this mini wasn't going to deal w/ Sins Past before it was retconned, I hope he was being honest), no work on Peter and Gwen's relationship, a random bf no one cares about

Hopefully they can develop her and her fathers relationship more

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    I realised there isn't one of these for Gwen (there is one for Spider-Gwen, but not original Gwen) so I thought I'd make one? Hopefully that's not stepping on anyone's toes.

gwenstacy.jpg
    They had to show the bridge huh? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post

Gwen isn't written anything like Gwen, Gwen and Norman interactions are sick in the worst way(I did ask the writer and he said this mini wasn't going to deal w/ Sins Past before it was retconned, I hope he was being honest), no work on Peter and Gwen's relationship, a random bf no one cares about

Well, the comic itself talks about her story not starting when she met Peter, so not interacting with Peter at all makes sense.

I just find it funny she has the headband, since she didn't have it when she was in college, meaning she randomly stopped using it, and then put it back lol.

Also her hair style was explicitly something that was new in college too, characters even comment it looks like MJ's hair style.

I've read the comic here and, man, it's so weird that Gwen is brainstorming with her father how to bust criminals, even suggesting to give one of 'em a lighter sentence to backstab the others, Gwen never showed any interest in cop shit, this kind of shit would be far more fitting with Carlie, which makes this hilarious to me, 'cause I see Carlie as Gwen's second coming.

It's also funny that one of the questions they say readers may not have like whether or not Peter is Gwen's first boyfriend, when the way she acted in Ditko's run may indicate it wasn't the case at all, since she seemed just fine with just playing around with men and her annoyance is how Peter doesn't care about her, though maybe you can say she only had flings and no boyfriends.

Either way, yeah, the way Gwen is characterized here is questionable, even though her personality isn't exactly consistent, she was never this proactive, much less mature, 'cause the way she acted in Ditko's run had her acting more like a spoiled princess than anything.

Gage can be pretty good with characterizations, but Gwen here is weird.

I can understand to a certain extent why she's this involved in the crimes though, 'cause if that's not being done, then she'd just have typical high school drama, which I doubt Marvel would want to do, but it's still odd how proactive she is.

Was interesting that the Goblin's glider was being made for military use, was that said before? ASM#40 says where the Goblin Serum came from, but not the glider, I know Raimi's movies had it being tested for military use, but I'm not sure if 616 itself mentioned that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, the comic itself talks about her story not starting when she met Peter, so not interacting with Peter at all makes sense.
    I understand that, showing her relationship w/ her dad and friendship w/ Harry is great.But they should have used this to flesh out her relationship w/ Peter from HER perspective instead of just telling a tale that no one would care about.

Gage can be pretty good with characterizations, but Gwen here is weird.
    Agree w/ most of what you said as well, it's just NOT Gwen and very clearly an attempt to modernize her character... and a bad one at that.Just stick to 65 Gwen and let 616 Gwen stay dead, if anything go the Spider-blue route for 616 Gwen.

Add onto continuity, don't create stuff no one cares about

Spectacular Member

I liked her having a love life outside Peter. What was wrong with Osborn and Gwen's conversations? From what I remember, it was:

Osborn: *plots out a clever ruse to frame Gwen's dad*
    Gwen: Bet your tech is useless junk!
    Osborn: *chucks goals out window* Have I mentioned Oscorp tech is superior?

Gwen: I know about the glider.
    Osborn: Where shall I ditch this child's corpse?

Gwen: Lol. Old people ain't shi*t.
    Osborn: I never thought I'd be grateful for casual ageism.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    What was wrong with Osborn and Gwen's conversations?.
    They were flirting.

I liked her having a love life outside Peter

If you're going to give Gwen an interest we've never seen before, make him interesting. They didn't do that. He's just another generic jock.

You could easily have just had Gwen date Harry.

Spectacular Member

I hear you, man. That mini was horrendous and I was happy when I discovered it had basically been thrown in the darkness. Gwen acted like a discount Kim Possible and the "flirting" with Norman was vomit inducing (she said to him "The Green Goblin is muscled and young" and then she blushed basically saying "You're muscled too for your age" )

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post

gwenstacy.jpg
    Where is this image from?

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    I hear you, man. That mini was horrendous and I was happy when I discovered it had basically been thrown in the darkness. Gwen acted like a discount Kim Possible and the "flirting" with Norman was vomit inducing (she said to him "The Green Goblin is muscled and young" and then she blushed basically saying "You're muscled too for your age" )
    What she says there is that Green Goblin is athletic, likely to be young and strong (She thinks it's someone from the army), while Norman is not those things, the way she worded it sounded like an insult and that's why she got embarassed.

I see no flirting at all in their interaction.

To answer Lukmendes' question, Osborn was mentioned to have done the whole military contract thing in Marvel Knights.
    Screenshot 2022-04-07 091321.jpg
    Should've guessed it was from that, thanks.

Early Gwen is intelligent, a bit spoiled, kinda manipulative, and a little nasty, and this adaption doesn't wholly disregard these traits. It's unneeded to soften edges for modern audiences, but I prefer this over Romita's rewrite for the 1960s readership. It'd be a lie if I said the burden of being St. Gwen, Spider-man's deceased love interest ain't stifling her character.
    The problem is how this doesn't sound like Ditko Gwen either, this here feels like a "wise beyond her years" type, when Ditko Gwen was an immature brat, and Gwen was never shown to be interested in getting involved with cop related shit.

She's written more like Carlier, to the point that, if the mini revealed that it was Carlie all along, and that Gwen was somewhere else getting high or somethin', it'd explain why there was such a huge difference in personality lol.

There was no blushing. The idea a friend's father could be a suspect was silly to her, so Gwen laughed at Osborn for getting worked up for nothing. As her romantic relationship did with Peter and Spidey, her platonic association with Harry blinded her to the truth before her. Like a typical teenager, she assumed "an Olympic-level athlete" would be "Young and strong, not..." Gwen apologizes because she tried explaining why she felt the concept was absurd and realized she was seconds away from insulting her friend's father's physique to his face. Osborn fills in the silence by agreeing a "middle-aged desk jockey" doesn't fit her account.
    She's also not aware of Goblin Serum (Nobody was by that point), and the fact that she thinks that GG has to be someone athletic means she thinks GG has no super powers, and considering early GG didn't show a lot of strength feats, it makes sense for her to assume so.

She has little reason to suspect GG is Norman regardless of Harry being her friend or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Where is this image from?
    That's from the Spider-Man/X-Men mini-series that did an issue for 4 different decades of each's history, they did another with Spider-Man/F4 after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    That's from the Spider-Man/X-Men mini-series that did an issue for 4 different decades of each's history, they did another with Spider-Man/F4 after that.
    Thanks for the info!