Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bel-Air- Fresh Prince Reboot (SPOILERS)

Has anyone watched this yet? I figured we could start a topic since the first 4 episodes are out (new episodes air Thursdays on Peacock.)

I've seen the first 3 and I'm really digging this show! It does a great job of somehow capturing the feeling of the original comedy but still being it's own unique take. Jabari Banks (Will) does a fantastic job at capturing Will Smith's mannerisms and even looks/sounds just like him at times. The new Geoffrey is also a cool new take on the character and I like that Hillary isn't ditzy this time around (though still GORGEOUS!!!) Now as for Carlton lol nobody seems to like him much but that means he's doing a very good job! A lot of the audience seems to have forgotten he was originally a foil for Will and was later turned into his goofy sidekick. So this portrayal is still true to the original, imo.

What does everyone else think of it so far?

I watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it. Carlton's reinvention is probably gonna be the one everyone hates.

I am a HUGE Fresh Prince fan and it a classic 90's sitcom. I pretty much have seen every episode of the original show more times that I can count over the years. It's one of my comfort shows ( like The Office).

At first I didn't like the mature, grim, realistic take on the premise but after watching Episodes 1-4 I really dig it. Jabari Banks does invoke Will Smith's portrayal of the character on the sitcom with mannerisms and stuff. But he also makes the role his own and modernizes and makes Will seem like a young person of today ( I feel old saying that even though I am only 34 lol). The updates to the other characters are make sense to make it more real. I do like that Jazz isn't dim witted comedy relief character but more of a mentor to Will and a person he can connect with. Same with Hilary I like that she isn't just a dim witted comedy relief character here and I like that her and Jazz have a mutual attraction to get other. Uncle Phil and Viv feel like real black professionals in today world. They haven't really given Ashley much to do in these first 4 episodes. Though in Episode 4 it seems they may hinting that Ashley may be bisexual or a lesbian ( even though she is only 12).

The two characters I had the most time adjusting to was Carlton's and Geoffrey. Like you really don't like Carlton in these early episodes and Geoffrey maybe being a gangster is crazy. But overall, I like it and will be watching Episode 5 tonight!
    Last edited by Iron_Legion87; 02-25-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Episode 5 is really good! And a bit sad.

I have a feeling the Banks have something to do with Will's dad leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Episode 5 is really good! And a bit sad.

I have a feeling the Banks have something to do with Will's dad leaving.
    Looking forward to watching

One thing I don't like is that it seems the show is sorta rushing though things. I mean the drug dealer Will got into a fight with gets killed by episode 4. I am like well there isn't any reason for Will to stay in Bel-Air now. I am sure Episode 5 will explain.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    One thing I don't like is that it seems the show is sorta rushing though things. I mean the drug dealer Will got into a fight with gets killed by episode 4. I am like well there isn't any reason for Will to stay in Bel-Air now. I am sure Episode 5 will explain.
    That's an unfortunate necessity in today's modern TV cluture. Shows don't really get the chance to build stuff up because they have to grab everyone's attention as quickly as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Material Flux View Post
    That's an unfortunate necessity in today's modern TV cluture. Shows don't really get the chance to build stuff up because they have to grab everyone's attention as quickly as possible.
    True. Also, I noticed the show is only picked up for two seasons so I guess they are rushing to get all the material and story points done within the two seasons..

True. Also, I noticed the show is only picked up for two seasons so I guess they are rushing to get all the material and story points done within the two seasons..
    It's been picked up for 2 seasons, so far. That doesn't mean it won't be extended to more.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It's been picked up for 2 seasons, so far. That doesn't mean it won't be extended to more.
    I hope it does continue past two seasons but the reception seems mixed so far. I know a lot of people are having a hard time accepting that this isn't like the sitcom and is more serious.

There's still Darnell the gangster who challenged Will in the first place. Him coming back is a way to keep that plotline alive.

I wonder if Uncle Phil is still a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Given his stance on policing, it'd be a good angle to explore. Right now, we have the assumption that all Republicans are against "Defund the police" and such actions. All humans aren't that simple, however.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Given his stance on policing and the convo him and Viv had about keeping things real, I don't think he is a Republican in this reboot series.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

This reboot feels like if the Fresh Prince was made by the people who make CW show All American.