View Poll Results: What would be your reaction to "he is all yours" scene from superman

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ok with it.positively

4 40.00%
  • No!!negative

3 30.00%
  • Neutral.don't really care

3 30.00%
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default What would be your reaction to "he is all yours" scene from superman?

There is a scene in ironman 1 where he leaves a guy for mob justice.what would be your reaction?since,superman is the paragon of virtues and the deemed objective standard for morality in superheroes for many.Tell me,why you would react that way.

This is a continuation of discussion from dc movies thread i been having.For anyone who is interested.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-18-2022 at 07:44 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Fine with me. It's a very Golden Age approach, fitting with Clark's old "eye for an eye" methodology.

Clark's not a saint, even though some writers seem to think he should be, and DC itself seems to think he already is and shouldn't be. But it is entirely within most versions of Clark's character to leave a terrorist to the mercy of his victims. Even the more modern versions have done things far more cruel that this.

Some people would throw a fit over Clark leaving a terrorist to mob justice, but if I'm being honest I think those people probably haven't paid close attention to the character and are only thinking of a reputation that's never been true of him.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-19-2022 at 04:39 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Fine with me. It's a very Golden Age approach, fitting with Clark's old "eye for an eye" methodology.

Clark's not a saint, even though some writers seem to think he should be, and DC itself seems to think he already is and shouldn't be. But it is entirely within most versions of Clark's character to leave a terrorist to the mercy of his victims. Even the more modern versions have done things far more cruel that this.

Some people would throw a fit over Clark leaving a terrorist to mob justice, but if I'm being honest I think those people probably haven't paid close attention to the character and are only thinking of a reputation that's never been true of him.
    Indeed, Superman isn't judged by the same standards as any other character. If they took the approach that this was the Golden Age version, we'd have the same Man of Murder idiocy that we had with his killing Zod, and that, at least, was a situation where he had to do it instead of this Iron-Man situation where he chose to do it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Thank you for the responses..much appreciated.I tend to think,superheroes(from dc and marvel) a level of fight fire with fire mentality.But,i can understand the objections and they are valid.Stealing is stealing even if it is to give to the poor.

Astonishing Member

It doesn't really go with any version of Superman I can think of, except perhaps the Golden Age version who kinda did something similar back in Action Comics # 2 (forcing a couple of war profiteers to fight in a foreign civil war which they were making money off...though he himself was around to keep an eye on them and his objective was to ''scare them straight'' rather than indirectly kill them). But most versions of Superman wouldn't leave a villain to mob justice. Not because those villains don't deserve it, but because he doesn't want to encourage mob justice.

Frankly, if Superman does think a villain deserves to die, or has to die, then I'd rather he do the deed himself. Leaving a villain to die at the hands of a mob in order to keep his own hands notionally ''clean'' doesn't sit well with me. I think Superman would rather have blood on his own hands, if necessary, than let other people become killers to do his dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

There is a scene in ironman 1 where he leaves a guy for mob justice.what would be your reaction?since,superman is the paragon of virtues and the deemed objective standard for morality in superheroes for many.Tell me,why you would react that way.

This is a continuation of discussion from dc movies thread i been having.For anyone who is interested.
    He already did it to Darkseid in the Animated Version. Didn't quite work the way he expected though.

"I am many things, Kal-El, but here I am God."
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    He already did it to Darkseid in the Animated Version. Didn't quite work the way he expected though.

Good call.

On the flip side, he objected when Wonder Woman did something similar in New Frontier, so we see both ends of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

I forgot about that.Darkseid just makes clark look like a child.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Good call.

On the flip side, he objected when Wonder Woman did something similar in New Frontier, so we see both ends of the spectrum.
    I think this one is remebered more cause it's not allegory like darkseid and superman.This one was with humans.