Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

And it doesn't make sense that the one in the DC section got moved to the CBR Community section when there was already a thread about this there!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I ordered a nice collection of silver & bronze age stories from the big two.

What a revolting development.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

This makes me wonder how many digital readers there are?

If there are a substantial amount I would think that Amazon would about face, right?

If not, then maybe that says volumes about digital readers - unless there's a silent majority that doesn't care about it?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wish there was a way to find out just how many user accounts Comixology had that now are switched over to Amazon. There's never been any data on that and it really makes it hard to find out just how many readers a particular title has. We don't really get any figures anymore from Diamond Select like we used to. I did find an archive page on their site but it stops giving data with March 2020, the start of the pandemic shutdowns, etc.
    In any case, Marvel switched to Penguin/Random House and there's no data being given out there either.

I have purchased close to 1000 comics on Comixology and this really, really, really sucks, especially because I live in Germany. The automatic subscription service was one of my favorite features alongside the guided-view viewing option and just the overall convenience of the layout and interface....

I might have to look into Marvel Unlimited now and see how that is but this really sucks.

Digital is how I read things so this sucks. Practically begging people to pirate comics at this point...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Digital is how I read things so this sucks. Practically begging people to pirate comics at this point...
    Pretty much. I don't have space to store any more floppies and the Amazon interface is just fucking terrible from start to end. Despite what they say, the Kindle app does not recognize my comics library as part of my Amazon library. If I want to read an issue, I have to search for it on Amazon's website. There's no dropdown to let me read the issue when I get to the page, and even if I've bought the issue before, the largest and most noticeable button is the one trying to get me to buy it again. One I actually click to the separate page that'll actually let me read the book, there's no option to continue on to the next issue - I have to close the reader, find the next issue, and click through again. Honestly, this is less user friendly than my ten-year-old .cbr reader.

I hope they get a lot of customer complaints. The Kindle reader is fine for the printed page of books but not comic books. You can't zoom on panels, etc.

I 'unhid' my comics to see what that looked like on the PC Kindle App.
    Oh, yeah. Hot mess.
    It's one big collection of books and comics.
    I went back and 'hid' them.
    I have 3200 comics that now just make it harder to navigate.

I tried their 'organize your digital content' page, and of course, they don't have a filter for comics. Comics are considered 'books'.
    So that was pointless.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I 'unhid' my comics to see what that looked like on the PC Kindle App.
    Oh, yeah. Hot mess.
    It's one big collection of books and comics.
    I went back and 'hid' them.
    I have 3200 comics that now just make it harder to navigate.

I tried their 'organize your digital content' page, and of course, they don't have a filter for comics. Comics are considered 'books'.
    So that was pointless.
    That's something to bring up in a complaint. I'm going to write one up tomorrow.

https://chng.it/HhK9bBXwrw

Can't hurt in addition to complaints sent directly to Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That's something to bring up in a complaint. I'm going to write one up tomorrow.
    They do have a filter for comics, actually, but it's not something you can turn on by default. On the Digital Content page, after you select Books, select the arrow next to All. There's a radio button for Comixology.

But yes, dumpster fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    They do have a filter for comics, actually, but it's not something you can turn on by default. On the Digital Content page, after you select Books, select the arrow next to All. There's a radio button for Comixology.
    It'd be nice if they had a reverse filter for eBooks. I can't find my hundreds of Kindle eBooks in the midst of my thousands of comics!

But yes, dumpster fire.
    I have found workarounds for most things, even if it means jumping through hoops to do something that was easy until last Thursday and now... somehow not. But there is, sadly, no workaround for the file sizes. Everything is larger than the previous HD quality, even if it isn't HD quality. And there appears to be no equivalent of the previous non-HD toggle, which allowed me to download my entire collection to an iPad Mini in a mere 80GB of space. I used 30 GB on just 300 comics with the new app. There's no way I can fit my entire collection on the iPad any more, and some of us take our devices to places where we don't have wifi or cell connections. And don't have unlimited data.

Okay, there is a way. I'm re-downloading as many as possible to the still-working Marvel Comics app and the defunct-but-still-okay-as-a-reader-for-pre-summer-2021-releases DC Comics app. But that will presumably not work forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    https://chng.it/HhK9bBXwrw

Can't hurt in addition to complaints sent directly to Amazon.
    Signed. And shared on Twitter.

I'm also mentioning DriveThruComics as an alternative. They only sell downloadable comics. So either pdf or cbz (mostly pdf).
    Top Cow, Heroic and Caliber already use them.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-22-2022 at 10:12 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The new "upgraded" app is really crap. Terrible. Whoever did this obviously has no idea of the needs of the comics market. Pretty, hip and completely user unfriendly. I mostly read trades nowadays, but I have quite a few of those "I'm curious but I don't want to pay much for this" trades in the app, especially after DC closed it's app and shifted everything to Comixology. Still have the Marvel one, but I wonder for how long. I really hope something is done about this.

Peace