Batman 93

Default Origins of Batman/Batman Training

Ended up re-reading all of Bruce Wayne’s various training moments - from Ducard to Chu Chin Li. What are your favorite training moments? Any you’d like to see expanded on? I feel sometimes the entirety of the Batverse has gone pretty light on this subject.

Could you give all the issues where you found the various training?
    It'll be great if you maintained a list.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pfc1378 View Post
    Ended up re-reading all of Bruce Wayne’s various training moments - from Ducard to Chu Chin Li. What are your favorite training moments? Any you’d like to see expanded on? I feel sometimes the entirety of the Batverse has gone pretty light on this subject.
    I still think of Batman Begins as my "Batman training" stuff, even though it doesn't fit wholly with the comics. But the current Batman: The Knight series seems to be adding some pretty cool training stuff!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Being trained by Zatara and Ducard.

Astonishing Member

I liked one of the back-up stories from the New 52 era (during Zero Year I think) where Bruce falls in with a gang of bank-robbers in Brazil(?) and the gang-leader teaches him the benefits of having a flashy car that amazes the cops and makes them ''not want to catch you''. Or something like that...this serves as the inspiration for the Batmobile later.

So often, we think of Batman's training in terms of martial arts, but there's actually a lot more to it!

Batman 93

I can put something together. I’ll work on it.

Batman 93

I agree. I really enjoyed Batman Begins as well, despite it taking its liberties. I’ve always wondered why DC doesn’t just have them stick to the written characters. Think of how much more interesting the movie would be with Ducard’s actual training, combined with the “Mystic Blue Rose.”

Batman 93

Those are some of my favorite aspects of his training as well. Very nice touches. I really enjoy how much Batman learns from everyone.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I think my favorite one is from Zero Year... forgot the name of the teacher but he wears an explorer/hunter gear and has a pet monkey. Bruce was put unconscious in a tomb and had to escape with limited oxygen and a broken device.

He had to engineer a new gadget with spare parts, but the lesson is not about his genius and discipline, but forcing him to be creative, and the surge of excitement he got when he managed to solve the puzzle ouf of the box.

I think it stood out because it's one of the few where Bruce is genuinely happy. Exhilirated for being able to solve the puzzle by being creative on top of the escape.

Usually the training I see can end up depressing, or he's too focused and depressed to appreciate it, but this one, for a moment, he actually gets excited.

Batman 93

Oh yes. With Sergei. I really enjoyed that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I liked one of the back-up stories from the New 52 era (during Zero Year I think) where Bruce falls in with a gang of bank-robbers in Brazil(?) and the gang-leader teaches him the benefits of having a flashy car that amazes the cops and makes them ''not want to catch you''. Or something like that...this serves as the inspiration for the Batmobile later.

So often, we think of Batman's training in terms of martial arts, but there's actually a lot more to it!
    And he screwed the guy over by leaving him for the police at the end .