Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 328
  1. #1
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,815

    Default Should Aunt May die for good?

    Once upon a time the idea of Aunt May dying seemed unthinkable. It's been joked that Aunt May would survive the heat death of the Marvel Universe.

    But times have changed. And recent Spider-Man adaptations have done the unthinkable. They have killed Aunt May.

    There was a time the comics did the same, only to take it back in one of the most soap opera way imaginable. But, given everything, is it time the Spider-Man comics follow suit and do the unthinkable? Is it time for Aunt May to finally pass on?

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    No. Her age is not that old these days. Just need writers to stop with all the health scares and write her as a healthy elderly woman with a few more decades in her. If Peter is going to perpetually in his late 20s there is no reason to make May get any older.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 02-20-2022 at 09:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    86,904

    Default

    If writers feel like they can't get anything more out of her now, maybe, but I doubt it. Comics don't have the sense of finality that adaptions do.

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,118

    Default

    In the comics? Despite the blood lust of some fans who see her survival as 'holding Peter back', no. I don't think they should kill her. I'm not sure that the MCU wasting an actress as talented as Marisa Tomei for three whole movies only to off her is the best example to draw from, no matter how popular the movie is right now.

  5. #5
    "Emma is STILL right! Vegeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    She's been dead before, and comics weren't any better because of it. (That whole run was kind of forgettable or downright just bad.) I don't really see a reason for turning Peter Parker into yet another superhero "orphan."
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

  6. #6
    Niffleheim
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    8,325

    Default

    Why is Aunt May's death needed to tell a story? The only thing it would do is open Spider-Man to criticism and lessen the ppl in Peter's inner circle? Maybe that is the point. Do ppl want her death to lead to a marriage with MJ?
    "What you call Destiny is just an equation, a product of variables" - Uatu

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Once upon a time she should have stayed dead, but now it's almost pointless and I don't see it carrying much weight it the main continuity.

    That being said, subbing out Gwen with Aunt May in The Night Gwen Stacy Died was a brilliant move for an adaptation. Perhaps the smartest thing the MCU films have done. It really tightens up continuity, and almost makes me wish Zdarsky had thought of that for Life Story instead of that weird dementia May subplot he used instead.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Once upon a time she should have stayed dead, but now it's almost pointless and I don't see it carrying much weight it the main continuity.

    That being said, subbing out Gwen with Aunt May in The Night Gwen Stacy Died was a brilliant move for an adaptation. Perhaps the smartest thing the MCU films have done. It really tightens up continuity, and almost makes me wish Zdarsky had thought of that for Life Story instead of that weird dementia May subplot he used instead.
    Aunt May is less important in 616 then ever before ( you can make the same claim about all of the supporting cast ( except MJ and Felicia)), so unless the plan is to restore the marriage it makes no difference if she lives or dies.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    Maybe in 900 may will die.Batmans butler died and aunt may died in the movie.She is what 90 now

  10. #10
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    946

    Default

    I think Aunt May is underused in modern Spider-Man comics, in fact I’ll argue that she has rarely really been used right. I’d argue the only times we really saw May be utilised properly in the main continuity were the 80’s and JMS run. Outside of that, she’s mostly an obstical or a background character, and it’s obvious writers don’t really know what to do with her. Is she someone who knows Spider-man’s identity? They did that and it worked, but we’ve erased that now, do we want to retread that again?
    Is she someone who needs saving all the time? Well that’s not only offensive but she’s not a character then.
    Does she do her own thing independent of Peter? That’s worked in the past, but we don’t get the most out of her Character.

    Honestly, I think more comics should take a note from the Raimi films and make her the moral compass of Peter’s life. She doesn’t need to really be in it all that much, but when she does turn up, she kind of helps Peter out of a tough situation.

    I think letting her die once was where they should have ended her story. Wrapping it up and allowing the Characters and readers to experience death on a long lasting scale. Time comes for everyone and sadly we have to let those around us go.

    Killing her again would be overkill.

  11. #11
    Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Is thing on?
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Aunt May has achieved immortality until Marvel finds a way to put Amazing Spider-Man #400 back in continuity.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

  12. #12
    Incredible Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Aunt May has achieved immortality until Marvel finds a way to put Amazing Spider-Man #400 back in continuity.

    I wouldn't say that. Aunt may has far gone from that point and outside a few small instances over the past few years has moved to being a redundant character that has outlived their purpose and could be killed off in a meaningful way and yes it would be sad for Pete but also be another thing he deals with as a growing character

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Aunt may has far gone from that point and outside a few small instances over the past few years has moved to being a redundant character that has outlived their purpose and could be killed off in a meaningful way and yes it would be sad for Pete but also be another thing he deals with as a growing character
    It’s hard to say that will happen. It’s hard to write grief for a character that you don’t care about and that’s the only reason why you would kill Aunt May at this point.

    If she’s not important to the story, then her death won’t add anything either.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    She’s already dead. Has been since #400. This is the REAL actress since she came back.

    To be serious, sure. I’ve never understood the value of the character past Peter’s highschool years. At worst, she makes Peter seems a bit of a momma’s boy and an excuse not to progress into full adulthood.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    3,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    She’s already dead. Has been since #400. This is the REAL actress since she came back.

    To be serious, sure. I’ve never understood the value of the character past Peter’s highschool years. At worst, she makes Peter seems a bit of a momma’s boy and an excuse not to progress into full adulthood.
    I think that Ultimate Spider-Man and the OG comics showcased that merit quite well. The merit is that she's a character in herself. While she's related to Peter, her life doesn't solely revolve around him like all the good Spider-Man characters such as Jonah and MJ.

    I loved her romance with Nathan and her anger towards Vulture for killing him. Her therapy session in Ultimate is one of my favorite Spider-Man issues ever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •