Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If that were true, she wouldn’t be dead.
    In the current state of Spider-Man what exactly does Aunt May as a character bring to the table?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    In the current state of Spider-Man what exactly does Aunt May as a character bring to the table?
    A world that exists outside of Peter’s perspective.

Astonishing Member

If that were true, she wouldn’t be dead.
    May didn't care about Peter's happiness in NWH?! She dies reassuring him he is doing the right thing, even though his actions directly led to her death.

And Peter absolutely makes sacrifices for the greater good. That's what he did in the game; he saved a city of faceless, nameless others, i.e. the greater good.

In NWH, Peter selfishly tries to change the spell to suit himself, by adding more people to the list of who would know his secret identity; in doing so, he brings the villains to his universe. An ensuing villain fight causes May's death. She reminds him with her dying breath "with great power must also come great responsibility," leading to Peter in the end sacrifing everyone's knowledge of Peter Parker in order to save his world, i.e. the greater good.

I'm personally fine with May being alive in the comics - for now - but if the only thing she does is bring an outside perspective, then there are many characters who can do the exact same thing: MJ, Jonah, Robbie, Randy, now apparently Norman, Carlie, Felicia, Teresa, etc. etc. etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    May didn't care about Peter's happiness in NWH?! She dies reassuring him he is doing the right thing, even though his actions directly led to her death.

And Peter absolutely makes sacrifices for the greater good. That's what he did in the game; he saved a city of faceless, nameless others, i.e. the greater good.

In NWH, Peter selfishly tries to change the spell to suit himself, by adding more people to the list of who would know his secret identity; in doing so, he brings the villains to his universe. An ensuing villain fight causes May's death. She reminds him with her dying breath "with great power must also come great responsibility," leading to Peter in the end sacrifing everyone's knowledge of Peter Parker in order to save his world, i.e. the greater good.

I'm personally fine with May being alive in the comics - for now - but if the only thing she does is bring an outside perspective, then there are many characters who can do the exact same thing: MJ, Jonah, Robbie, Randy, now apparently Norman, Carlie, Felicia, Teresa, etc. etc. etc.
    So basically what you’re saying is, Peter and the rest of the world would be happier if May was dead?

People aren’t roles to be filled. They have their own lives outside of just what people think about them.

Didn’t Peter also want her in that so called happy ending? Was she just a payment?

Astonishing Member

So basically what you’re saying is, Peter and the rest of the world would be happier if May was dead?
    No, that’s not what I said at all. Not sure how one can even reach that conclusion.

People aren’t roles to be filled. They have their own lives outside of just what people think about them.
    Precisely, which is why Peter should have honored her wishes, honored her agency, and allowed her to go as she requested in OMD.

Didn’t Peter also want her in that so called happy ending? Was she just a payment?
    Huh?

Astonishing Member

No, that’s not what I said at all. Not sure how one can even reach that conclusion.

Precisely, which is why Peter should have honored her wishes, honored her agency, and allowed her to go as she requested in OMD.

Huh?
    There's saying that you love and care about someone, and then there's actually showing it. A lot of Peter's interactions can make it hard to see that he loves her and thinks about her as more than just a burden to carry.

That's why it's hard to be moved by any of her death scenes.

There's saying that you love and care about someone, and then there's actually showing it. A lot of Peter's interactions can make it hard to see that he loves her and thinks about her as more than just a burden to carry.

Yeah, this is one the writers though for using her as a obstacle to Pete.

Astonishing Member

You’re entitled to your opinion, of course.

But ASM 400 is considered by many to be a classic story in part for the emotional reaction felt by the cast and the reader. May’s death in the game was called out by critics and players as highly emotional and affecting, making Peter’s responsibility as Spider-Man viscerally hit home. May’s death in NWH is the equivalent of Uncle Ben’s death in the comics - the seminal event that cements Peter’s duties as a superhero.

Also, if you think Peter doesn’t care about her and she’s just a burden, then that’s actually an argument for killing for the character as she isn’t adding anything positive to Peter’s story…

Also, if you think Peter doesn’t care about her and she’s just a burden, then that’s actually an argument for killing for the character as she isn’t adding anything positive to Peter’s story…
    I'd say that's all the more reason for NOT killing her, if you believe that. Stories are built on characters facing hardships, not characters have an easy time.

As for 400, I have mixed feelings about it. It's an emotional story, but I don't think it's a story that should have ever been told. While it does affect the readers, I feel in the longer term it does more harm than good. They got one good story out of Aunt May and then ... they can't use her any more (at least not without a MAJOR retcon). It changed the status for Spider-man but it only took away from the mythos and didn't add anything in it's place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It changed the status for Spider-man but it only took away from the mythos and didn't add anything in it's place.
    It would have added something if Mayday had lived, or if they'd had stuck with developing Aunt Anna and MJ's side of the family more.

I'd say that's all the more reason for NOT killing her, if you believe that. Stories are built on characters facing hardships, not characters have an easy time.

As for 400, I have mixed feelings about it. It's an emotional story, but I don't think it's a story that should have ever been told. While it does affect the readers, I feel in the longer term it does more harm than good. They got one good story out of Aunt May and then ... they can't use her any more (at least not without a MAJOR retcon). It changed the status for Spider-man but it only took away from the mythos and didn't add anything in it's place.
    Asking again. What does she bring to the book that much anymore. I'd be fine if she moved out of the city and moved back in with Aunt Anna and help take care of her as that would be a nice progression of her story. Helping out her best friend who is suffering from dementia and free up some responsibly and worry from MJ

Astonishing Member

A character who is there only to be a burden isn’t a character, it’s a plot device/obstacle. And can be replaced by other plot devices/obstacles.

This is actually another argument for killing May because she’s not a character in her own right, just something to make Peter feel bad.

The story was told so Ben could slot into Peter’s place. If Marvel had stuck to its guns and made Ben the “one true Peter Parker,” then who knows what would have been added to the long term? In addition, as was already pointed out, it paved the way for Peter and MJ to have a family and raise a legacy character.

A character who is there only to be a burden isn’t a character, it’s a plot device/obstacle. And can be replaced by other plot devices/obstacles.

This is actually another argument for killing May because she’s not a character in her own right, just something to make Peter feel bad.
    The thing there though is that it's on the writers to write properly, and not about teh value of the character.
    The story was told so Ben could slot into Peter’s place. If Marvel had stuck to its guns and made Ben the “one true Peter Parker,” then who knows what would have been added to the long term? In addition, as was already pointed out, it paved the way for Peter and MJ to have a family and raise a legacy character.
    Hmm how would May feel about Ben Reilly? I think she'd kinda treat him as Pete's twin-brother TBH.

Astonishing Member

Legacy Character? You think Peter wants his children to follow in his footsteps?

Legacy Character? You think Peter wants his children to follow in his footsteps?
    Yes. Is that a dumb question? Only one he didn't and that was because he was a deadbeat dad who let Aunt May raise him while he left in pity. Annie and Mayday are prime examples of successful legacy children