Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    That sounds dirty. We’re talking about emotional support that doesn’t involve him having sex.
    What? She would ground him emotionally and help him through his rough times and be his emotional rock. Being a hero isn't easy especially for Spider-Man.
    Teresa is a character that I don't think we'll see again unless she's needed for a story but for now is tied mostly to Chameleon.

You know the right question is; "Will they keep her dead?"
    I don't need to tell you the answer, but you already know they won't keep things that way.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

That sounds dirty. We’re talking about emotional support that doesn’t involve him having sex.
    You realize emotional support and sex aren't mutually exclusive, right? You reallize a marriage partnership isn't just "ooooh, I can get it on whenever I want," I hope? That there is a lot more at stake emotionally? That being married means forming a new family unit of at least two?

Also, blood family relationships can be far more stressful than a romantic partnership. And a romantic partner can be far more supportive emotionally than a family member.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    You realize emotional support and sex aren't mutually exclusive, right? You reallize a marriage partnership isn't just "ooooh, I can get it on whenever I want," I hope? That there is a lot more at stake emotionally? That being married means forming a new family unit of at least two?

Also, blood family relationships can be far more stressful than a romantic partnership. And a romantic partner can be far more supportive emotionally than a family member.
    Aunt May isn’t blood at all.

The ideal that MJ should be an “easy” relationship is what would make it feel shallow. He talks her; she listens; she validates his opinions. That feels shallow to me. You could replace it with a mirror and have the same effect.

The real question is “is Peter emotionally available for anyone else?” If Peter has a relationship with someone, romantic or other, would he be emotionally supportive the way they are to him?

That’s ultimately the reason why I feel like JMS and Spencer’s take on MJ and Peter is overrated. It was all about how MJ served him rather than any real effort on his part in the relationship.

The ideal that MJ should be an “easy” relationship is what would make it feel shallow. He talks her; she listens; she validates his opinions. That feels shallow to me. You could replace it with a mirror and have the same effect.

The real question is “is Peter emotionally available for anyone else?” If Peter has a relationship with someone, romantic or other, would he be emotionally supportive the way they are to him?

That’s ultimately the reason why I feel like JMS and Spencer’s take on MJ and Peter is overrated. It was all about how MJ served him rather than any real effort on his part in the relationship.
    Are you high. She did all those things of being emotiionally supportive of him, pushed him when he needed it. The guiding hand when he needed and all the things a loving wife and person should be

Astonishing Member

First of all, women aren't on this planet to make men's lives easier. If some Marvel creatives feel that is the way to portray a married or committed relationship, that's their regressive sad world view imposed on the characters.

Aunt May is blood in that she has a relationship with Peter solely because her husband was Peter's father's brother. Peter and May did not initially choose to be in other's lives; it was thrust upon them by blood connection.

Yeah, no. That's not how most people interpret those runs.

Not to mention JMS and Spencer both gave MJ her own goals and aspirations separate from Peter - goals and aspirations Peter supported.

Relationships are give-and-take. They also ebb and flow in terms of who does the giving and who does the taking. Peter and MJ have been depicted as being emotionally there for each other and taking turns leaning on the other even when they weren't married.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-01-2022 at 01:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

First of all, women aren't on this planet to make men's lives easier. If some Marvel creatives feel that is the way to portray a married or committed relationship, that's their regressive sad world view imposed on the characters.

Aunt May is blood in that she has a relationship with Peter solely because her husband was Peter's father's brother. Peter and May did not initially choose to be in other's lives; it was thrust upon them by blood connection.

Yeah, no. That's not how most people interpret those runs.

Not to mention JMS and Spencer both gave MJ her own goals and aspirations separate from Peter - goals and aspirations Peter supported.

Relationships are give-and-take. They also ebb and flow in terms of who does the giving and who does the taking. Peter and MJ have been depicted as being emotionally there for each other and taking turns leaning on the other even when they weren't married.
    Which naturally why Peter spent most of Spencer’s run either away from MJ or having sex with her.

Astonishing Member

Which naturally why Peter spent most of Spencer’s run either away from MJ or having sex with her.
    I'm not sure what alternate reality you got your comics from, but as long as you were entertained, that's what matters!

(You realize they were parted so MJ could pursue her movie acting goals, right, which Peter fully emotionally supported? Or maybe not. *shrug*)
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-01-2022 at 02:17 PM.

And in every continuity with married Pete, Pete ends up with more than just two.

I'm not sure what alternate reality you got your comics from, but as long as you were entertained, that's what matters!

(You realize they were parted so MJ could pursue her movie acting goals, right, which Peter fully emotionally supported? Or maybe not. *shrug*)
    If your read ASMJ you could see they cared for each other while apart and it was a very good read as well

Astonishing Member

Well, what did they do during JMS’s run besides get back together?

Astonishing Member

Well, what did they do during JMS’s run besides get back together?
    Mary Jane pursued her stage acting career, for one. But the book are easily available on Amazon or at the library if you need to refresh your memory.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 06-01-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

Mary Jane pursued her stage acting career, for one. But the book are easily available on Amazon or at the library if you need to refresh your memory.
    So basically nothing of importance? Got it.

The only thing of importance I remember is when Peter consoled her for not getting the gig that she wanted.

The only thing of importance I remember is when Peter consoled her for not getting the gig that she wanted.
    So you're reading fan fiction. Dude stick to 4 chan lamo

Astonishing Member

So, you didn’t read the JMS run. Got it.