Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

But what if instead of Aunt May dying for good, Aunt May died for evil?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I think that Ultimate Spider-Man and the OG comics showcased that merit quite well. The merit is that she's a character in herself. While she's related to Peter, her life doesn't solely revolve around him like all the good Spider-Man characters such as Jonah and MJ.

I loved her romance with Nathan and her anger towards Vulture for killing him. Her therapy session in Ultimate is one of my favorite Spider-Man issues ever.
    Nathan’s death and the Vulture story happened before ASM #400.

I don’t read Ultimate, so I won’t comment on that. To me that’s a different character just as Ultimate Peter was different than 616 Peter.

What has she done since she came back 20 years ago? Found out Peter was Spidey, forgot Peter was Spidey, got shot, got better, volunteered at FEAST, married JJJ’s Dad, JJJ’s Dad died (jeez, she’s like a black widow with the number of beaus who have died), got cancer and then cancer was plot-armored away barely a few issues later. Nah, I find her incredibly overrated as a character and the best story involving her was the one she “died” in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What has she done since she came back 20 years ago? Found out Peter was Spidey, forgot Peter was Spidey, got shot, got better, volunteered at FEAST, married JJJ’s Dad, JJJ’s Dad died (jeez, she’s like a black widow with the number of beaus who have died), got cancer and then cancer was plot-armored away barely a few issues later. Nah, I find her incredibly overrated as a character and the best story involving her was the one she “died” in.
    Honestly, this is fine for me and issue #400 was painfully boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Maybe she permanently becomes an Inner Demon...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Honestly, this is fine for me and issue #400 was painfully boring.
    You’re literally the only person who thinks ASM#400 wasn’t a masterpiece. Why am I not surprised?

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

I just want Peter to re-reveal his identity to Aunt May, it would strengthen her role in the book, much like when he re-revealed to Felicia.

I don't think it's a good idea. It's been done too many times. She's been quietly, vaguely de-aged, or at minimum, her "cultural" age has been lessened. For decades she was written as if she was well into her 80s. Now, with Peter presumably at the cusp of 30, she's been walked back slightly to someone who might be in her early 70s. Not a woman whose coming of age was in the early 30s, 40s, or 50s. She got married to Nate Lubensky, then Jay Jameson.

It's best to keep her around at this point. The "oh, that icky spider-man... help! I've lost my bladder pills!" era is over. She can play a more sophisticated supporting role.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I don't think it's a good idea. It's been done too many times. She's been quietly, vaguely de-aged, or at minimum, her "cultural" age has been lessened. For decades she was written as if she was well into her 80s. Now, with Peter presumably at the cusp of 30, she's been walked back slightly to someone who might be in her early 70s. Not a woman whose coming of age was in the early 30s, 40s, or 50s. She got married to Nate Lubensky, then Jay Jameson.

It's best to keep her around at this point. The "oh, that icky spider-man... help! I've lost my bladder pills!" era is over. She can play a more sophisticated supporting role.
    The diminishment of Aunt May's importance goes hand in hand with the general diminishment of supporting casts in superhero comics in general. Whether its minutes in a movie or pages in the page count, comics, moves, and entertainment generally have lost the ability to let the smaller moments breathe as they compete for our attention.

The tide on this seems to have begun to turn, however.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

No, there is more mileage in the character being alive than dead. If a writer doesn't need her they can basically ignore her. If they do, she's there to be used.

Also, who is going to write a better death than Dematteis' ASM #400?

Or, because it's comics, who is then going to write a worse "resurrection" than Mackie's?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I don't think it's necessary. Aunt May got a big evolution in Straczynski's run and Brand New Day, it would be stupid to kill her. It is not necessary to kill her in order to restore the marriage, you can always say that May should not have died in the OMD, and Mephisto deceived everyone. I want Peter to reveal his secret to May so she knows about Ben and Kain, maybe then she can be killed. Although, remembering how Marvel killed Harry after all of his BND evolution, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the real May died at ASM #400 and she was a clone all along, thus ruining the character's entire evolution (Marvel, I'm kidding, don't do this).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    I don't think it's necessary. Aunt May got a big evolution in Straczynski's run and Brand New Day, it would be stupid to kill her. It is not necessary to kill her in order to restore the marriage, you can always say that May should not have died in the OMD, and Mephisto deceived everyone. I want Peter to reveal his secret to May so she knows about Ben and Kain, maybe then she can be killed. Although, remembering how Marvel killed Harry after all of his BND evolution, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the real May died at ASM #400 and she was a clone all along, thus ruining the character's entire evolution (Marvel, I'm kidding, don't do this).
    Unless this current May is a clone or lmd.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    You’re literally the only person who thinks ASM#400 wasn’t a masterpiece. Why am I not surprised?
    I don't even have it in my collection. It's not that it doesn't rate as a masterpiece, it's not even worth mentioning.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    I don't even have it in my collection. It's not that it doesn't rate as a masterpiece, it's not even worth mentioning.
    Wow, so edgy dissing one of the best Spidey stories of all time. What’s your next hot take? Using KLH as toilet paper? Ugh, I’d hate to hear what you consider a GOOD Spider-Man story.

this shouldn't be a debate the answer is yes
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I don't think there's any point now but I do think it's funny that after all the work they spent in the comics to retcon her death and keep her around, adaptations have been killing her left and right. She's now died in Spider-Man PS4, Into the Spider-Verse, and now the MCU