Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I think the main reason this question keeps getting brought up is always going too be OMD. A lot of people didn’t like that. Especially since the trade seems like it has led too anything worthwhile.
    Correct, Aunt May doesn't do much, you could say the same of a lot of the older support characters, they're not as active as they used to be, some have even been put in the grave, or back in the grave

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    My favorite character in Attack on Titan is Grisha Yeagger, and he's better off dead.
    You mean the posthumous character? Yeah not the best example.

Gen Urobuchi also tends to kill off characters, as does Yoko Taro, though I dunno if they kill their favorites.
    They're also sadists who love to torture their cast members.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I think the main reason this question keeps getting brought up is always going too be OMD. A lot of people didn’t like that. Especially since the trade seems like it has led too anything worthwhile. Aunt May herself also doesn’t really add much nowadays. It’d be one thing if they came up with something too make the aunt May character grow but she’s kind of stagnant.
    It happens. People just like to ignore. The same thing happened to Harry and it still annoys the crap out of me.

All in all, character development is useless if a character is just going to die. It's like a romance movie ending after the proposal. Supposedly they make a great couple, but we never actually see them live together normally which is the most important part of a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Aunt May dying very much is an established ongoing part of the medium lore now too, having had a movie and a video game where she passes away. New generations are growing up with their own take on "The Gift", it's only a matter of time before they'll want that reflected in the comics.

Doesn't matter what they meant. That would be my answer to anyone who wouldn't wish death on a character they loved. If you don't like it if 616 does away with May, just go to another variant if one's available. Plenty of cartoons with her in them for instance.
    Well, only if the person cares about a random derivative, and if the random derivative is an option too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You mean the posthumous character? Yeah not the best example.
    Why's that? By your point no one wants their favorites to be dead, and AoT's writing is dumb enough to find a way to bring him back if they wanted to, and I didn't want him to return at any point.

They're also sadists who love to torture their cast members.
    So what? That doesn't make 'em not count lol.

All in all, character development is useless if a character is just going to die. It's like a romance movie ending after the proposal. Supposedly they make a great couple, but we never actually see them live together normally which is the most important part of a relationship.
    If the character develops only to die 10 seconds later, sure, otherwise if they're around, got developed, stayed around, then died, then it's fine lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Fantastic Member

If they had her killed by the Hobgobion, like in Spider's Shadow, could that, and with Norman turned good, bring him up to near the level of spider man Greatest enemy ?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Why's that? By your point no one wants their favorites to be dead, and AoT's writing is dumb enough to find a way to bring him back if they wanted to, and I didn't want him to return at any point.

So what? That doesn't make 'em not count lol.

If the character develops only to die 10 seconds later, sure, otherwise if they're around, got developed, stayed around, then died, then it's fine lol.
    Precisely why it’s ok to kill off Peter or MJ. They have lots of character development. Plus their deaths would motivate someone like Miles or Gwen to get revenge for them and thus the character development would make them better heroes. We could see how all of their supporting cast members react to their deaths and how much grief it caused them.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Precisely why it’s ok to kill off Peter or MJ. They have lots of character development. Plus their deaths would motivate someone like Miles or Gwen to get revenge for them and thus the character development would make them better heroes. We could see how all of their supporting cast members react to their deaths and how much grief it caused them.
    Yeah that could work, I just don't see it happening and it sticking, considering not even Ultimate Spidey's death was permanent lol.

Astonishing Member

It's possible that Uncle Ben and Aunt May are really Peter's grandparents. This would mean that Richard Parker is the son of Ben and May Parker. Cool theory, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    It's possible that Uncle Ben and Aunt May are really Peter's grandparents. This would mean that Richard Parker is the son of Ben and May Parker. Cool theory, huh?
    Not in the slightest.

I mean.. if May is the sister of his grandfather it'd sorta work.

Astonishing Member

I always get confused when some fans insist that Aunt May "has" to die. Or that it's somehow absurd that Marvel hasn't killed her off yet.

Like, why is it absurd that a person in their mid 70's is still alive? That seems normal to me.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-08-2022 at 08:27 PM.

Why would that even be the case? Just weird to change the family dynamics just for, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I always get confused when some fans insist that Aunt May "has" to die. Or that it's somehow absurd that Marvel hasn't killed her off yet.

Like, why is it absurd that a person in their mid 70's is still alive? That seems normal to me.
    The only absurd thing is how she's getting younger lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post

She wasnt mid 70s at the start of the story
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    She wasnt mid 70s at the start of the story
    The early comics kept her age ambigous. She definitely wasn't 80+, though.

Not really. I had an elderly aunt around May's age when I was growing up. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Not really. I had an elderly aunt around May's age when I was growing up. It happens.
    It's weird how I've seen some people say it's unrealistic for Spidey to have an old aunt when he's a teenager lol.

It's at worst, unusual, but not unrealistic.