Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I'm torn. I'm glad other adaptations have killed her off, but I think May has the potential to do more in the comics if Marvel ever permit Peter to be a dad.

Uncle Ben from Spider-Verse got to be a 'grandfather' to the Parker family over in Mayday's dimension, I'd like to see May take up a similar responsibility. Perhaps she could adopt herself?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I'm torn. I'm glad other adaptations have killed her off, but I think May has the potential to do more in the comics if Marvel ever permit Peter to be a dad.

Uncle Ben from Spider-Verse got to be a 'grandfather' to the Parker family over in Mayday's dimension, I'd like to see May take up a similar responsibility. Perhaps she could adopt herself?
    If it helps, Spider-Ma'am, an A/U Aunt May with spider-powers, adopted the Inheritors after they'd been killed and then revived as innocent infants, wiped clean of their father Solus's brutal, abusive conditioning of them to be predatory monsters at the end of Spider-Geddon.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

No. I don't think you gain much, especially since she's already come back.

You also lose a character who adds a lot to the series. No one else really knew Peter before he was Spider-Man, and it is a bit unusual in the modern era for someone Peter's age to have no parental figures.

There is some sexism and ageism in the calls for Aunt May's demise.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    You’re literally the only person who thinks ASM#400 wasn’t a masterpiece. Why am I not surprised?
    I don't think it's just one person.

I like it, although it is diminished by occurring in the middle of the clone saga. Some of the stories that led into it, and some of the stories that dealt with the aftermath were among Spider-Man's worse.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

I like it, although it is diminished by occurring in the middle of the clone saga. Some of the stories that led into it, and some of the stories that dealt with the aftermath were among Spider-Man's worse.
    Thats one way to see it, but here's another yes she is one of the few people left that knows Peter before Spidey, but also is the one of the last few things holding him back. One good example is from Life story he chose her over his family and when she passed he realized the more important thing and let Ben take over as he could be with them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Thats one way to see it, but here's another yes she is one of the few people left that knows Peter before Spidey, but also is the one of the last few things holding him back. One good example is from Life story he chose her over his family and when she passed he realized the more important thing and let Ben take over as he could be with them.
    Wasn't taking care of Aunt may his first responsibility? The person that he was supposed to help when her husband died and she got sick?

Aunt May may be Peter's last living relative, but Peter is Aunt May's last living relative. What does that say about Peter if he just leaves her alone.

You could say that he's just not equipped for such a big responsibility and thus has to give something up. The thing is, why does it have to be Aunt May?

BANNED

There is some sexism and ageism in the calls for Aunt May's demise.
    Was it 'ageist/sexist' for No Way Home or the recent video game to kill her off?

The lead up to ASM 400 is when the Clone Saga was firing on all cylinders and was selling fairly big at the time. I will give you the aftermath leaves somewhat of a muddled aftertaste, but I'm of the opinion the saga wasn't as bad as the historians claim it to be. ASM 400 also remains canon to the Spider-Girl comics, and towards the end of that run May's Clone Saga passing actually enhances her character as she later returns in spirit form to help her family put away Norman Osborn once and for all.

I do believe it would be more spectacularly tragic if the May Peter sacrificed his marriage for was a clone or a LMD, and that her passing in ASM 400 was reintegrated into continuity, and also that Mephisto knew of that development and that factored further into his scheming.

However, I would like to see May continue on, but only if she has knowledge of Peter's identity and if she can become a great Aunt at some point.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 02-23-2022 at 02:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

We have been down this road before when it comes to Aunt May. I don't think killing her in the comics will really make a big deal. I don't really think she gets in the way of anything. Also, I think heroes need a good support cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

I'm with him. May served her purpose and only works if Peter becomes a dad since that's something that hasn't been done before.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I'm with him. May served her purpose and only works if Peter becomes a dad since that's something that hasn't been done before.
    Given the current Renew your Vows series and over 100 issues of Spider-girl, I think it's safe to say we've seen plenty of Peter becoming a dad.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Given the current Renew your Vows series and over 100 issues of Spider-girl, I think it's safe to say we've seen plenty of Peter becoming a dad.
    Aunt May has never been there to help raise Peter's kids whenever he is a dad. (Ok, there was Life Story, but May was in no real condition mentally to raise the kids with MJ)
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 02-24-2022 at 08:48 AM.

The closest we've seen to May in the life of Peter's child is the mini by JJ Abrams and his son. And nobody liked that mini. (She was already dead in Spider-Girl and RYV.)

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The closest we've seen to May in the life of Peter's child is the mini by JJ Abrams and his son. And nobody liked that mini. (She was already dead in Spider-Girl and RYV.)
    There's a lot of potential of seeing that dynamic with May interacting with a young May or Annie and act as a guide for a them

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Yeah I kind of look at it as this; whether it was his intention or not, Joe Quesada basically made the thesis statement of One More Day that at the end of the day, Aunt May should be the most important figure in Peter's life. Regardless of how you feel on it though, just a glimpse over at what the Spider-Office has actually done with Aunt May over the past 15 years really hasn't lent any credence to the theme of OMD.

Like if anything, Aunt May's role was actively reduced compared to the JMS years. She was made to forget Peter being Spider-Man and despite everyone and their mother learning or relearning Peter's identity, Aunt May has been kept out of the loop. The closest thing to a relevant story Aunt May had throughout the BND, Slott, and Spencer tenures was her marriage to Jay Jameson, and even then I feel like Jay was treated as the more prominent of the two any time the two got used in books.

Aunt May ironically got the same issue as MJ where Slott admitted he went out of his to use her sparingly because of the "No Marriage Mandate." I get the feeling that there is a similar behind-the-scenes mandate where Aunt May isn't allowed to relearn Peter's identity, and writers just don't know what to do with the character anymore because of it.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Yeah I kind of look at it as this; whether it was his intention or not, Joe Quesada basically made the thesis statement of One More Day that at the end of the day, Aunt May should be the most important figure in Peter's life. Regardless of how you feel on it though, just a glimpse over at what the Spider-Office has actually done with Aunt May over the past 15 years really hasn't lent any credence to the theme of OMD.
    I don't get that conclusion at all from it.

The story wasn't about who was the most important person to Peter. It was about how much he was willing to sacrifice to save somebody. At the end of the day, it's not who he loves more, it's if he could still live with himself if he had the chance to save somebody and didn't take it.