View Poll Results: Should Black Canary have a wig, dyed hair, or natural blonde hair?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blonde wig

29 36.71%
  • Dyed hair

20 25.32%
  • Natural blonde hair

30 37.97%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Should Black Canary have a wig?

So do you prefer Dinah wearing a blonde wig to cover brunette hair, dyed hair, or natural blonde?

At this point blonde should just be her natural hair color because it's what everyone expects when they think of Black Canary. Either that or she dyes it.

I think the wig can still work for Golden Age Black Canary.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Blonde wig. I still think secret identities have some value to them.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I still think secret identities have some value to them.
    I use to think that, but how many current comic book writers would know how to use them properly?

Incredible Member

Wouldn't it make more sense for her not to wear a wig while fighting?

Wearing one day-to-day is less risky...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At this point blonde should just be her natural hair color because it's what everyone expects when they think of Black Canary. Either that or she dyes it.

I think the wig can still work for Golden Age Black Canary.
    How do you work that one out? I assume everyone means most people. And most people wouldn't know what Black Canary looks like. The image that came to my mind as a kid, before I'd seen her, was a canary, but not a yellow one, a black one. It confused me when I saw she was blonde. I expected her to have black hair, because she was the Black Canary.

Back then I thought she should actually have the black hair when she was in costume and the blonde hair when she was in her civvies. However, I got to like B.C. so much that I prefer the whole deal--blonde wig, black choker, black leather bolero jacket, black bustier bathing suit, fish nets and black leather pirate boots.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I use to think that, but how many current comic book writers would know how to use them properly?
    You’re not exactly wrong, but we should still leave it open for people who can actually do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    How do you work that one out? I assume everyone means most people. And most people wouldn't know what Black Canary looks like.
    Maybe not when she was a florist. But isn't she meant to be a pop star nowadays? She doesn't have a secret identity now and is a celebrity - she's DC's equivalent of Dazzler.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    You’re not exactly wrong, but we should still leave it open for people who can actually do it properly.

MajorHoy voices a valid concern but I think there are still some good writers out there that can tackle a secret identity when needed. I'm hoping to see some good Diana Prince stories soon.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    MajorHoy voices a valid concern but I think there are still some good writers out there that can tackle a secret identity when needed. I'm hoping to see some good Diana Prince stories soon.
    Now that could be a bit more feasible since Wonder Woman has had multiple titles.
    Black Canary, on the other hand, hasn't had her own solo-title/solo-feature for a while (as far as I can remember). And having a solo-title/solo-feature is when a better opportunity presents itself for a good writer to make use of a secret identity.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I like her to be a bottle blonde....and wear a mask.

How do you work that one out? I assume everyone means most people. And most people wouldn't know what Black Canary looks like. The image that came to my mind as a kid, before I'd seen her, was a canary, but not a yellow one, a black one. It confused me when I saw she was blonde. I expected her to have black hair, because she was the Black Canary.

Back then I thought she should actually have the black hair when she was in costume and the blonde hair when she was in her civvies. However, I got to like B.C. so much that I prefer the whole deal--blonde wig, black choker, black leather bolero jacket, black bustier bathing suit, fish nets and black leather pirate boots.
    99.9% of who thinks of Black Canary thinks of her as blonde. Just because she has Black in her name doesnt mean it has to be literal.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 02-20-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

I remember in Justice by Alex Ross that a shapeshifter didn’t know that Black Canary wears a wig. It clued Green Arrow to the fact that the Black Canary that he was talking to was fake.

You only really see Dinah as Brunette when she's alone with Ollie during after hours.

Otherwise you pretty much expect her to be a blonde, so I would just roll with that.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I wouldn't hate her being naturally blond, though since she's a street-level hero who would be much more vulnerable to having her identity exposed, the wig makes a lot of sense, especially without a mask. I also like that without the wig on, we get a visual that immediately lets the reader know she's in her civilian skin, in her personal life. JLA Year One and Grell's GA run really cemented that vibe for me.

Black Canary isn't known by everyone but a lot of people know her and she is frequently depicted as a natural blonde or at least it's never stated she wears a wig.

EDIT: I see others have raised this issue. I just thing fighting Solomon Grundy in a wig and expecting it to stay on is too much. But again, it is comics.