View Poll Results: Should Black Canary have a wig, dyed hair, or natural blonde hair?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blonde wig

29 36.71%
  • Dyed hair

20 25.32%
  • Natural blonde hair

30 37.97%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

With 56 people having voted,
    * Natural blonde hair = 22 votes
    * Blonde wig = 21 votes
    * Dyed hair = 13 votes

Retired

As I mentioned on another topic over on the Superman forum, the whole deal with Linda Danvers and her wig doesn't make much sense to me. No sooner does she arrive on Earth, all ready to be a super-hero with a costume her Mom made for her, than Kal-El tells her she has to hide. She's to spend most of her life in the Midvale Orphanage as Linda Lee--but when she's needed as Superman's secret weapon she can't be seen by anyone. So it makes no sense for her to fly around in a colourful costume--as nobody is supposed to see her. Nor does it make much sense if she has to go to classes, eat with the other kids, go to the bathroom and sleep in her wig, pretty much every hour of the day (always having to hide the fact that she's wearing a wig, so no one will suspect she's Supergirl, which they wouldn't because nobody knows someone called Supergirl exists).

Not that I complain too loudly about this, since Linda Lee Danvers is the character I fell in love with as a little boy. To me Linda is so much cuter than Supergirl--and I think it's because of the brown hair (styled in the "Campus Cuddle Bun"). That it's a wig doesn't really matter.

But applying this logic to Dinah Drake, it makes more sense for Dinah to have her own hair (which is black) when she's in her civilian identity--because she has always had that hair. Everyone who knows her, knows her as a girl with raven tresses. The blonde hair (and the mask) were to disguise her. I guess she could dye her hair blonde but wear a black wig in her regular life, so no one would suspect she had dyed her hair and would believe that it's still her real hair. And then she takes off the wig when she becomes Black Canary. But that seems a lot of detail to force into a comic every month, to explain to new readers how it all works out. And you still have a situation where she has to pretend during most of her life (except the few hours she's crime fighting) that she isn't wearing a wig. This seems something more likely to be spotted when she's hanging around her friends and co-workers--rather than some random crook spotting the fact that Black Canary is wearing a wig (which in the heat of a fight would not be their main concern).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Blonde wig. I still think secret identities have some value to them.
    Yes. I hate how rarely they're used anymore and the arguments people make against the concept.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Yes. I hate how rarely they're used anymore and the arguments people make against the concept.
    They aren't rarely used. Not in DC anyway.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

But applying this logic to Dinah Drake, it makes more sense for Dinah to have her own hair (which is black) when she's in her civilian identity--because she has always had that hair. Everyone who knows her, knows her as a girl with raven tresses. The blonde hair (and the mask) were to disguise her. I guess she could dye her hair blonde but wear a black wig in her regular life, so no one would suspect she had dyed her hair and would believe that it's still her real hair. And then she takes off the wig when she becomes Black Canary. But that seems a lot of detail to force into a comic every month, to explain to new readers how it all works out. And you still have a situation where she has to pretend during most of her life (except the few hours she's crime fighting) that she isn't wearing a wig. This seems something more likely to be spotted when she's hanging around her friends and co-workers--rather than some random crook spotting the fact that Black Canary is wearing a wig (which in the heat of a fight would not be their main concern).
    You're right, Jim. If she's going to wear a wig, it has to be the same setup that she has always had in the comics (even if it could potentially fall off in battle).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Either wig or natural is fine with me, but if she would use a wig, her natural hair would have to be rather short to save her time on putting the wig on and securing it. And I'm not talking about a pixie cut either. a bob would do. But we all know how most fans hate seeing their favorite heroine with short hair. :eyeroll:
    But seriously, a good wig can change a woman's look drastically if styled right. Especially if her everyday hair is short and dark.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Arrow had Sara wear a blond wig over her blonde hair....same with Laurel.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    You're right, Jim. If she's going to wear a wig, it has to be the same setup that she has always had in the comics (even if it could potentially fall off in battle).
    To beat this dead horse even further (my cruelty to metaphorical animals knows no bounds), if we start questioning the wig conceit, then we open up a barrel of monkeys. What about all the masks that somehow miraculously stay stuck on the face? When B.C. was travelling around with G.L. and G.A., Hal and Ollie both had those puny masks on their mugs. Maybe the ring is keeping the mask on the Emerald Gladiator's visage (even when the ring runs out of energy--it must maintain a reserve of energy just for the magnetic mask stickum), but the Emerald Archer must use some super-glue (ouch).

It does not do to question these conceits. Where would it end? We accept that glasses can make a character look completely different (which, in the realm of comic book cartooning, glasses do have this power to change our perception of a character). Writers don't need to lampshade this fact--it's not supposed to be something that the characters in the story question or perceive. The govenment issued artistic license covers all of these strange animals (that's what I know).

Where is the Who Cares as long as she kicks ass, option?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Have you seen Drag Queens throw down? There are magic ways to keep a wig on during athletic activity.
    Preach!

Plus also ...it's comics. She can scream a building to rubble, but somehow it's unrealistic for her to be able to keep a wig on?

With 60 people having voted, the blonde wig has taken the lead in the poll.
    * Blonde wig = 24 votes
    * Natural blonde hair = 23 votes
    * Dyed hair = 13 votes

And with 61 people having voted, the blonde wig and natural blonde hair are tied for the lead:
    * Blonde wig = 24 votes
    * Natural blonde hair = 24 votes
    * Dyed hair = 13 votes

NOTE: This thread was originally started in February 2022.
    --------------------------
    With 64 people having voted, natural blonde hair has reclaimed the lead:
    * Natural blonde hair = 26 votes
    * Blonde wig = 24 votes
    * Dyed hair = 14 votes

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Blonde wig. I still think secret identities have some value to them.
    I agree, but wigs in a fight might be a problem.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

NOTE: This thread was originally started in February 2022.
    --------------------------
    With 68 people having voted,
    * Natural blonde hair = 28 votes
    * Blonde wig = 24 votes
    * Dyed hair = 16 votes