View Poll Results: Do you think Wonder Woman should have a secret identity?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 51.67%
  • No

29 48.33%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Secret Identity: Yes or No?

Came up in the General Discussion thread so thought I'd make a thread for it's own since it seems there hasn't been one for a bit. Do you think Wonder Woman should have a secret identity?

Follow-up for those who vote "yes", what do you think it should be?

For my own money, I'm firmly in the "no" camp. Wonder Woman having a secret identity along the lines Superman and Batman struck me as natural or interesting part of her character as it does the aforementioned.

As I said in the other thread, Diana is a celebrity, a princess, an ambassador, the pride of the Amazons. She writes books, she gives interviews, she tours the world teaching her philosophy, she has a foundation, she saves the world. she is a fashion icon, an example for mortals and non-mortals, and we all know who she is, so a secret (Diana Prince) identity would only serve her to escape from the paparazzi, to take some vacations or go unnoticed from time to time.

Either can work depending on the execution in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I like my heroes to have secret identities and if they don't then they need to be treated the proper way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    As I said in the other thread, Diana is a celebrity, a princess, an ambassador, the pride of the Amazons. She writes books, she gives interviews, she tours the world teaching her philosophy, she has a foundation, she saves the world. she is a fashion icon, an example for mortals and non-mortals, and we all know who she is, so a secret (Diana Prince) identity would only serve her to escape from the paparazzi, to take some vacations or go unnoticed from time to time.
    This is basically what the failed pilot did and I like the concept if they played it that way or something that she later transitions into.

I don't think we should create new threads if there are already plenty of other ones created for the same topic.

Anyway, no Secret Identity. Diana is an extrovert and is very comfortable at the center of attention.

Yes, yes, a million times yes. My stance is unchanging. Being WW all the time is boring.

Transforming into WW is exciting.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Like a lot of things, this largely comes down to execution, but Diana is constructed in a rather different way from Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne, as Sebastianne noted. She was raised to be a public figure and hero, and was already an adult when she arrived in Man's World.

Now, what I can see Diana having a need for is something different, more a private identity rather than a secret identity. But she maintains that more for the need to be able to move discreetly. Like in the 2017 movie, all of her friends are well aware that Diana Prince is Wonder Woman, and have been more or less since the beginning.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Considering how many times Vanessa Kapatelis has been attacked, brain washed, groomed by sleezy asshats, experimented on, turned evil, and generally had a life of utter suffering purely because it was public knowledge that she lived with Wonder Woman and viewed her as a big sister, shes the poster child for why its a crap idea not to have a secret identity. When people get hurt because a superhero is being to public about their personal life, then it makes them responsible for the trouble that followed in their wake.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Considering how many times Vanessa Kapatelis has been attacked, brain washed, groomed by sleezy asshats, experimented on, turned evil, and generally had a life of utter suffering purely because it was public knowledge that she lived with Wonder Woman and viewed her as a big sister, shes the poster child for why its a crap idea not to have a secret identity. When people get hurt because a superhero is being to public about their personal life, then it makes them responsible for the trouble that followed in their wake.
    This only happened twice, in two different continuities. This is not the case most of the time.

Incredible Member

Personally, like Aquaman, I prefer Wonder Woman as a Public Superhero with no true secret identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This only happened twice, in two different continuities. This is not the case most of the time.
    Off the top of my head she gets
    attacked by Decay
    Attacked by mobster demons (who cripple her mother)
    Kidnapped by the White Magician
    brainwashed by Doctor Psycho on three separate occasions
    Kidnapped by Cheetah
    Has Doctor Psycho implant a copy of himself into her head to haunt her nightmares for the rest of her life
    Groomed by an evil asshat to turn against everyone she knows and loves
    Experimented on and turned evil twice
    And murders dozens of children at Cassie Sandmarks school thanks to Psychos mechanations.
    And that was just post crisis.

Current continuity has her just as a random collatoral damage during a super fight who had never even met Diana before said super fight where her mother is murdered, she winds up a cripple, and shes randomly given Cyborg tech, turning her into Silver Swan with her deciding to just be evulz for the lolz and wants to killz Wonder Woman for funsies

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Absolutely yes. Wonder Woman needs to escape her public life and having an identity as Diana Prince with some sort of job that lifts people up seems right up her alley.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Absolutely yes. Wonder Woman needs to escape her public life and having an identity as Diana Prince with some sort of job that lifts people up seems right up her alley.
    Why would she need an escape? Every friend she ever made was thanks to her being Wondee Woman / Diana.

I think no secret identity fits her better but I'm not against her having one if the story demands it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think it depends on the continuity and how it's all set up.

After the set up Perez did and so many authors running with it afterwards, particularly Rucka at the embassy, the secret ID never made sense to be brought back in post-Crisis canon.

It was fine in pre-Crisis where she didn't act as a literal ambassador with somebody like Myndi as a publicist. It also works well in the movies where she's cut off from Themyscira anyway.