View Poll Results: Do you think Wonder Woman should have a secret identity?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 51.67%
  • No

29 48.33%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why would she need an escape? Every friend she ever made was thanks to her being Wondee Woman / Diana.

Everyone needs an escape from time to time, especially celebrities like when she goes out to eat, stays a hotel, or goes shopping.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Starting out in Mans World having a secret ID helps her integrate into society, not be treated as a someone divine, get to build that circle of friends. After a few years, she can decide to shed the ID and become ambassador. But being a public hero comes w/issues of putting her loved ones in danger, constant paparazzi, constant target on her head, insane people trying to get her attention and putting themselves in danger.

Basically s1-5 secret ID, 6-8 ambassador as Princess Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Starting out in Mans World having a secret ID helps her integrate into society, not be treated as a someone divine, get to build that circle of friends. After a few years, she can decide to shed the ID and become ambassador. But being a public hero comes w/issues of putting her loved ones in danger, constant paparazzi, constant target on her head, insane people trying to get her attention and putting themselves in danger.

Basically s1-5 secret ID, 6-8 ambassador as Princess Diana.
    Stuff like that and Vanessa being turned into the Swan would happen either way regardless because writers and superhero stories like drama. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen had had plenty of similar stuff happen to them even though for most of their existence they didn’t know Clark and Superman were in the same.

Astonishing Member

I think Diana should have a cover identity but not like the classic secret identity. No 9 to 5 job or hiding a secret from friends. More like she can make a dinner reservation as Diana Prince and get no more attention than Jane Smith. Or the Clark Kent trope where people might do or say things in front of Diana Prince that they'd never do or say if they knew Wonder Woman was present. Maybe the use of some mystic item that makes people unable to perceive that Diana Prince is Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Stuff like that and Vanessa being turned into the Swan would happen either way regardless because writers and superhero stories like drama. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen had had plenty of similar stuff happen to them even though for most of their existence they didn’t know Clark and Superman were in the same.
    Lois and Jimmy are often targeted by big bads because their associated w/Superman. And because they often put their in danger by looking for the story.

Astonishing Member

I'm fine with either one.

Her official motif is "truth", so it makes sense for her not to have one, but having a secret identity allows for her to interact with others on a different level.

My personal ideal would be for her to start with a secret identity and then gradually lose it as she opens up the "World of Men".

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I think Diana should have a cover identity but not like the classic secret identity. No 9 to 5 job or hiding a secret from friends. More like she can make a dinner reservation as Diana Prince and get no more attention than Jane Smith. Or the Clark Kent trope where people might do or say things in front of Diana Prince that they'd never do or say if they knew Wonder Woman was present. Maybe the use of some mystic item that makes people unable to perceive that Diana Prince is Wonder Woman.
    Or maybe she could just wear a pair of eye glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'm fine with either one.

Her official motif is "truth", so it makes sense for her not to have one, but having a secret identity allows for her to interact with others on a different level.

My personal ideal would be for her to start with a secret identity and then gradually lose it as she opens up the "World of Men".
    She isn't necessarily lying. Diana is who she is, as long as she stays true to herself she good.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I think the best way to differentiate her from Clark is that her inner circle (Steve, Etta, the Kapatelis women, Darnell, etc.) would be aware of her double identity from the start. Steve and Michaelis/Darnell (or whoever his boss is) can be the ones to help set it up.

Whereas Clark interacts with the Daily Planet crew in both of his identities but takes a much longer time to let them in on the secret.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or maybe she could just wear a pair of eye glasses?

Their relationship was one of the few things I liked about New52. I always wondered why they didn't just say his glasses are enchanted by Zatanna

Spectacular Member

Their relationship was one of the few things I liked about New52. I always wondered why they didn't just say his glasses are enchanted by Zatanna
    Because he didn't knew her at the start of his career?

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Because he didn't knew her at the start of his career?
    He could though....or just enchant the glasses later on for an added layer of protection.

Spectacular Member

He could though....or just enchant the glasses later on for an added layer of protection.
    I like the classical explanation that he completely changes the way he presents himself,but if such a thing is necessary,just say the glasses are made using the fortress tech,a lot simpler

I voted yes, but I don’t necessarily think she needs one in the same sense she needed one in the past where she was constantly ducking behind trash cans to change from one persona to the other.

I like the idea of Diana Prince as a civilian identity- like it’s the name on her credit cards and passport for if she ever needs a little off time and some privacy. It’s a nice nod to the past and… I just like the name “Diana Prince”.

Incredible Member

No. I don’t think it’s necessary. Diana is a very busy woman between her superheroics and philanthropy, as well as numerous other activities. She doesn’t need a secret identity with another occupation, residence, friend group, etc.

If Diana wants some downtime to shop, dine out, see a movie, etc, then she can do what every celebrity who doesn’t court the paparazzi does - go about her business in a low-key manner, possibly wearing a hat or sunglasses. The fact that Diana can fly and has super speed (and an invisible jet) would make it pretty easy for her to avoid any unwanted attention.

I like that Diana doesn’t have or need a secret identity - it sets her apart in the trinity and it feels true to her character who wields the lasso of TRUTH.