View Poll Results: Do you think Wonder Woman should have a secret identity?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 51.67%
  • No

29 48.33%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    This. It's as she originally was (per Wikipedia): "The 'Diana Prince' identity has been part of Wonder Woman's history since her comics debut in 1941. . . using [Diana] Prince as her cover."

I'm a big believer in considering the Golden Age version (though not always adhering to it strictly and forever) but removing big important things without a good important reason is something I'm not cool with.
    Well... Diana isn't exactly a secret identity if you know what i mean though.

I voted no. Doesn't make much sense for her to have one in the first place. It goes against the whole 'Spirit of Truth' theme. I'm fine with her going anonymous (i.e pulling her hair up, wearing sunglasses and a jacket) like celebrities do but I don't think a secret identity is required.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I voted no. Doesn't make much sense for her to have one in the first place. It goes against the whole 'Spirit of Truth' theme. I'm fine with her going anonymous (i.e pulling her hair up, wearing sunglasses and a jacket) like celebrities do but I don't think a secret identity is required.
    That's basically forgoing something her creator came up with 80 years ago for the sake of a story from 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's basically forgoing something her creator came up with 80 years ago for the sake of a story from 20 years ago.
    Diana hasn't had a secret identity since the 80s. Her being Diana Prince actually flies in the face of what Marston was trying to say at the time. She was proving that any woman could be like Wonder Woman if they believed in themselves. Challenging the Holliday Girls to become great athletes, scientists, fighters. And then she went on to pretend to be a feeble creature that had nothing to do with her own personality, just for the sake of Steve Trevor.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-24-2022 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Diana hasn't had a secret identity since the 80s. Her being Diana Prince actually flies in the face of what Marston was trying to say at the time. She was proving that any woman could be like Wonder Woman if they believed in themselves. Challenging the Holliday Girls to become great athletes, scientists, fighters. And then she went on to pretend to be a feeble creature that had nothing to do with her own personality, just for the sake of Steve Trevor.

What are you talking about? Diana Prince was extremely capable, that's why I want her return.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

She had a secret identity when she was an agent of DOMA. During Gail Simones run and the one prior to that. That was in the 90's/2000's I think.

What are you talking about? Diana Prince was extremely capable, that's why I want her return.
    Yeah actually I take back what I said. I was wrong. Marston's Diana Prince was actually surprisingly physical. I was just reading story where Dr Psycho was pretending to be other people, and Diana Prince was slapping fools all over and tackling them to the ground. I still disagree with Diana trying to be another person without super powers, but that's neither here nor there.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    She had a secret identity when she was an agent of DOMA. During Gail Simones run and the one prior to that. That was in the 90's/2000's I think.
    It was between 2006 and 2009

Wonder Woman came to our world to teach but also to learn. The secret identity allows her to put into practice what she preaches and become one of us without the benefits or burdens of celebrity. If it doesn’t exist she's always "on" and never truly treated like a normal person. She's a superhero potentate that looks like a supermodel, so it's easy for her to say "empower yourself" when she's had none of the struggles regular women face.

As Diana Prince she went from a mousy secretary, to a secret agent and eventually an astronaut under her own merits. She had to actually deal with gender biases and workplace discrimination not just talk about it from her lofty, unassailable, ivory tower.

Diana Prince gives her insight and experience and makes her more relatable a very real world way.
    Diana has been treated like a normal person frequently since Perez. She's faced losses, challenges, obstacles and discrimination. She's had a normal job as either an ambassador or a fast food worker.

The Diana Prince identity was at best a parody of normal woman, at worst it's no more realistic than Wonder Woman as seen with the secret agent nonsense.

And I've said this before, but if Marvel characters are still considered "relatable" without secret identities, I don't see why Diana needs one.

Not exactly. There was a brief narration in #775 where it was suggested that "Diana was Zeus' neglected progeny". While most would assume this means she is his daughter, there are other possible interpretations of this.
    Eh, I can't see how it can be taken any other way given what progeny means.

Progeny means descendant.

Scenario 1
    -If Hippolyta is the daughter of Ares
    -then Diana would be the great granddaughter of Zeus.

Scenario 2
    -Diana was granted life by the goddesses (including Athena) and is thus somewhat their child.

Scenario 3
    Since Zeus commanded to creation of humankind, all men and women are his descendants.

So while the Daddy Zeus is the most likely scenario, there are other possible interpretations

Extraordinary Member

Very few writers have convinced me that she doesn't need a secret id. Ironically, the one writer who convinced me otherwise is rather controversial, to say the least.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Very few writers have convinced me that she doesn't need a secret id. Ironically, the one writer who convinced me otherwise is rather controversial, to say the least.
    If you are talking about Azz, then you don't have to worry since they ret-conned/explained away her entire nu52 run.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    If you are talking about Azz, then you don't have to worry since they ret-conned/explained away her entire nu52 run.
    I'm not worried. Those stories will always be there for me to enjoy.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

I don't necessarily think Diana needs a secret identity, however I don't think "Diana Prince" needs to be retired. Think of that as her civilian name for if she needs to do things like do taxes, get a job, etc.

I think she should have some type of secret identity to fall back on so she can maintain a modicum of privacy at times. Her being a princess and a superhero would pretty much mean paparazzi 24/7 on her at all times. Especially with the way she is supposed to be depicted in the beauty department. I couldn't imagine being her without a release from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I don't necessarily think Diana needs a secret identity, however I don't think "Diana Prince" needs to be retired. Think of that as her civilian name for if she needs to do things like do taxes, get a job, etc.
    Visit the UN as a dignitary?