View Poll Results: Do you think Wonder Woman should have a secret identity?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 51.67%
  • No

29 48.33%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I think she should have some type of secret identity to fall back on so she can maintain a modicum of privacy at times. Her being a princess and a superhero would pretty much mean paparazzi 24/7 on her at all times. Especially with the way she is supposed to be depicted in the beauty department. I couldn't imagine being her without a release from time to time.
    So what exactly would she do as "Diana Prince"? Are we talking about her wearing a disguise and going to a hotel?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So what exactly would she do as "Diana Prince"? Are we talking about her wearing a disguise and going to a hotel?
    It's up to those wonderful writers that you all like that give us these awesome character stories, powers be damned.

It's up to those wonderful writers that you all like that give us these awesome character stories, powers be damned.
    So why would she need a secret identity?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So why would she need a secret identity?
    Why not? Or are you trying to argue both sides again?

Why not? Or are you trying to argue both sides again?
    Argue both sides of what? I think you might be mixing threads.

Anyway, you stated that Diana should have a secret identity because she needed privacy from things like Paparazzi. But when people talk about a secret identity they usually mean living a double life. Having a fake name and credentials that she uses regularly, while disguised, and pretending to be a mortal at a job with other people from whom she hides her origin. Like when she was a nurse, when she had a fashion store, and when she worked for the D.E.O.

Having a double isn't privacy from the Paparazzi. That's why I asked you what you think she would do with a Secret Identity since all you cared about was her privacy.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-25-2022 at 07:21 AM.

(Double post)

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's basically forgoing something her creator came up with 80 years ago for the sake of a story from 20 years ago.
    The creator also had her reform her villains through mind controlling girdles and problematic depictions of other races.

It's okay not to stick with everything Marston did.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The creator also had her reform her villains through mind controlling girdles and problematic depictions of other races.

Yeah . . . who wears girdles these days?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    My preference is generally to have a secret id, but girdles def have to go!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

When Diana Prince had the fashion store, as Alpha put it, that was when Diana Prince was Wonder Woman. This wasn't a secret--and therefore not a secret identity, anymore than Ralph Dibny is a secret identity of the Elongated Man. Diana Prince was sometimes called Wonder Woman to justify the title on the comic book, like Morpheus sometimes but not very often being called Sandman, but she was Diana Prince all the time. She wasn't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

Since she was sometimes working as a secret agent, she might have needed to be secretive about some of the hero things she did. I don't imagine when she went into Red China that she was announcing it to the world. Like how truthful does a person have to be, when there's other lives on the line? But it seems like she needed to work and therefore her boutique was a source of income. And since she didn't have super-powers and wasn't really being a super-hero in the traditional sense, she probably needed to have proper identification to get around in the U.S.A.

All this was swept under the carpet as soon as Robert Kanigher took over again. But if that hadn't happened--if someone else had continued the Diana Prince story, then all of her time without powers would have been known to the world, even when she got her powers back and she started wearing a super-hero costume again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Came up in the General Discussion thread so thought I'd make a thread for it's own since it seems there hasn't been one for a bit. Do you think Wonder Woman should have a secret identity?

Follow-up for those who vote "yes", what do you think it should be?

For my own money, I'm firmly in the "no" camp. Wonder Woman having a secret identity along the lines Superman and Batman struck me as natural or interesting part of her character as it does the aforementioned.
    I thought her secret identity is Mary Sue Queen amongst men also warrior hero diplomat. So heraelf as herself.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Everybody...they just call them shapewear and waist trainers now.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

I'm not saying "stick to everything" but the basic set up is important, as is the dichotomy between Wonder Woman and Diana Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When Diana Prince had the fashion store, as Alpha put it, that was when Diana Prince was Wonder Woman. This wasn't a secret--and therefore not a secret identity, anymore than Ralph Dibny is a secret identity of the Elongated Man. Diana Prince was sometimes called Wonder Woman to justify the title on the comic book, like Morpheus sometimes but not very often being called Sandman, but she was Diana Prince all the time. She wasn't pulling the wool over anyone's eyes.

Since she was sometimes working as a secret agent, she might have needed to be secretive about some of the hero things she did. I don't imagine when she went into Red China that she was announcing it to the world. Like how truthful does a person have to be, when there's other lives on the line? But it seems like she needed to work and therefore her boutique was a source of income. And since she didn't have super-powers and wasn't really being a super-hero in the traditional sense, she probably needed to have proper identification to get around in the U.S.A.

All this was swept under the carpet as soon as Robert Kanigher took over again. But if that hadn't happened--if someone else had continued the Diana Prince story, then all of her time without powers would have been known to the world, even when she got her powers back and she started wearing a super-hero costume again.
    Yeah, Wonder woman was a title, more than a "name".

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I'm 100% secret identity for superheroes. So many underused stories that could be told. Plus, when Marston pinned the stories, I like Diana barely kept her secret identity a secret and showcased her strength, speed, and smarts many times. Good stuff. Also, Marston did little small things in his stories, like Diana actually going out, skiing, and stuff like that. Diana Prince was well-respected by her peers.