Default Betrayed Responsibility? "That" Scene from 1992

Oh well. It's spilled milk, at this point, but anyway.... Prepare for the social media arrows, Mr. Cronin.. lol..

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-venom...esponsibility/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Oh well. It's spilled milk, at this point, but anyway.... Prepare for the social media arrows, Mr. Cronin.. lol..

I remember this. The big controversy of the early 90s, pre-clone saga, pre-robot parents. Seems so quaint now lol. A couple years later they used this as a contrast for Ben Reilly when he faced off with Venom. He couldn’t believe Peter had shirked his responsibility and let Venom go.

ASM #375 is an all-time classic. No matter what, I'll always dig Brock's fashion statement (XD)

Astonishing Member

I thought it was an interesting plot development and it didn’t bother me that much. IMO it was far more irresponsible of Peter to bring Venom back to civilization to confront Carnage in ASM #362. To this day, I’m still not sure why Peter thought he needed Eddie to take down Carnage, but whatevs; it made a fun story.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    To this day, I’m still not sure why Peter thought he needed Eddie to take down Carnage, but whatevs; it made a fun story.

The explanation is simple: David Michelinie got his writer accreditation in a raffle.

I can see Peter's possible dilemma, because Venom is not one person, he's two. So who is guilty of all that, Venom or Eddie Brock? Even the justice system would have fun with the appeals on that one, whichever way it went.

Not to mention the symbiote arguably isn't under earth jurisdiction!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    The explanation is simple: David Michelinie got his writer accreditation in a raffle.
    Hah! That gave me a chuckle, but I actually really liked Michelinie's run overall (he definitely had a few rough patches especially later in his run).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I can see Peter's possible dilemma, because Venom is not one person, he's two. So who is guilty of all that, Venom or Eddie Brock? Even the justice system would have fun with the appeals on that one, whichever way it went.

One of those string of mini series Venom had one after the other in the 90s was about Brock and Venom put on trial for their crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

does that include Loki's mayhem? He's not responsible?

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I thought it was an interesting plot development and it didn’t bother me that much. IMO it was far more irresponsible of Peter to bring Venom back to civilization to confront Carnage in ASM #362. To this day, I’m still not sure why Peter thought he needed Eddie to take down Carnage, but whatevs; it made a fun story.
    Indeed. For what it's worth, that story had me in stitches (XD)

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I'm not the biggest fan of Michelinie (I think he's an okay but not great Spider-Man writer), but this story was not representative of his typical work.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

I feel like One More Day is a better example of 'betraying the whole with great power comes great responsibility' philosophy.

does that include Loki's mayhem? He's not responsible?
    No he's responsible, but remember how in Endgame there was a brief argument about jurisdiction between Thor and Alexander Pierce? Pretty sure based on the original Avengers that Loki was ultimately taken to Asgard and Odin.

My point is that an argument could be made that Eddie Brock was not acting on his own accord in all the bad stuff Venom did. We know Eddie has done bad things on his own - but murder?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    One of those string of mini series Venom had one after the other in the 90s was about Brock and Venom put on trial for their crimes.
    I had to go back and check that one as a reminder. Eddie even got Matt Murdock as his lawyer.

Matt suggested the law wouldn't consider Venom two people any more than it considered a man with multiple personalities to be two different people but he did suggest they could get reduced capacity and limited liability.

There was also a great scene where Matt stepped out in front of a moving cement truck so Spider-man would come and save him and then Matt could subpoenaed Spidey.

Of course there was another special edition Trial of Venom comic where Matt ALSO served as Eddie's lawyer and in that one he said you couldn't hold Eddie responsible for the acts of Venom. He managed to get Eddie a not guilty by reasons of insanity verdict that time.

Matt says one thing one time and another thing the next time. Just goes to show you that Matt's like a real lawyer.