Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I see Superman as more of a non-interventionist. He views his duty as handling problems that are too big for normal people to solve: alien invasions, natural disasters. For him, Superman would consider superheroes meddling in foreign affairs as a slippery slope.

It is interesting to speculate what issues a character like Superman would face if they existed in the real world. With his personality in the comics, I don't think Superman would involve himself with a war, but he would prevent nuclear missiles from being launched. He would obviously stop a terrorist attack, but I don't think he would assist a government in taking down a terrorist organization. He's more of a fireman than a soldier.
    Yeah, also Superman would probably take a deeper look than "Putin bad". This crap in the Baltic region is old animosities festering for decades, and not just Russia being aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Hey, so haven't posted on here in awhile and for obvious reasons am not likely to do so again but wanted to pop in to ask what the **** is wrong with all of you. What on Earth is misfiring in your brains that your same-day response to cities being bombed is "I believe I shall invite and engage in a public debate over the theoretical ethics and logistics of a whimsical cartoon man magicking this ongoing situation into a nice happy ending while real people die or pray they and those they love don't die". I can't imagine why the mods didn't immediately shut this down as the most tasteless **** imaginable, but if any of you are thinking "we're trying to decompress from the horror on the news!" I'd recommend cutting out the middleman and reading some comics, or better yet go outside and touch some goddamn grass.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think he or she or other is right in a sense that people are dieing @dispenser of truth.I think,we are being insensitive.But,Concerning superman character though there should be discussions and how the character is used.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

War is going all the time somewhere in the world so we might as well never talk about such topics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    War is going all the time somewhere in the world so we might as well never talk about such topics.
    It's a little different in this case seeing as many doomsayers believe this is a catalyst for a wide-spread global conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    It's a little different in this case seeing as many doomsayers believe this is a catalyst for a wide-spread global conflict.
    That or it's a regional conflict that only a handful of people in the US even understand the causes of...

It'll only become global, if Biden or some other global power is dumb enough to actually fight.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I can understand that perspective as well...So i am conflicted.. Trivialising war or violence of that kind, ain't something i would want to do.Life of living beings mean something.So i mean no disrespect to the people going through the situation while discussing the same.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-25-2022 at 06:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Hey, so haven't posted on here in awhile and for obvious reasons am not likely to do so again but wanted to pop in to ask what the **** is wrong with all of you. What on Earth is misfiring in your brains that your same-day response to cities being bombed is "I believe I shall invite and engage in a public debate over the theoretical ethics and logistics of a whimsical cartoon man magicking this ongoing situation into a nice happy ending while real people die or pray they and those they love don't die". I can't imagine why the mods didn't immediately shut this down as the most tasteless **** imaginable, but if any of you are thinking "we're trying to decompress from the horror on the news!" I'd recommend cutting out the middleman and reading some comics, or better yet go outside and touch some goddamn grass.
    So I feel like I should say something here. I posted this as my way of trying to cope with the situation. What would I do if I were Superman in a situation like this? I felt helpless and wanted to know how others would react in this situation. Imagining yourself as magic cartoon man fixing everything is a way of coping with a horrible situation. So I was curious if others felt the same. That is all I was trying to do with this thread.
    Assassinate Putin!

Not sure, definitely a thinker. Would he have stopped Bush from invading Iraq? Then again Iraq didn't really have the risk of escalating to another world war. Maybe he wouldn't for the same reason NATO hasn't yet (military wise, besides the economic sanctions). Got to be careful how you fight an enemy (especially a power hungry madman like Putin) with nukes. Now that i put it that way, i feel even grimmer about this situation, if its such a mess not even Superman could fix it if he was real.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 02-26-2022 at 08:14 AM.

He would definitely intervene. There is a right and a wrong in the universe and the distinction should not be hard to make. That's how Superman thinks.

Dealing with the politics surrounding this could be complicated. But its not complicated to see that innocent lives are at risk. Whatever parties want to fight, they can fight amongst themselves. But when innocent lives are endangered, a Superman worth his salt wouldn't just keep quiet.

The nature of his intervention could be different. Superman as he was originally created could be very hands on. He can just hit the ground running. Protect the innocent. Disarm the fighters. Maybe barge into the government headquarters. And get the leaders who are responsible, to talk. Geopolitical complications be damned. No one can hurt the weak when Superman is on the ground.

Or maybe we are taking him lightly. Clark Kent is a reporter. He would have good knowledge about the geopolitics of the region, depending on the time he has spent studying it. Most reporters do have the knowledge. They might sacrifice it for the sake of agendas and ratings, but they know quite a bit about the truth. So, with a cooler head and with proper analysis of the situation he might take just the right steps that are needed to end the war, as shortly and as quickly as possible.

As we go further in Superman's publication history, we can see that he got access to more and more resources which could make his job easier. You soldiers wanna fight? Here take your weapons, and fight in the phantom zone and decide. Mr. President, do you want to be seen as a heartless leader who doesn't care for innocent lives? You are welcome. To the phantom zone.

If Superman doesn't want to be seen as intervening, he can take a leaf out of his own book: Secret Identity. In that book, nobody knew Superman was real. But he was helping out everyone without their knowledge. If Superman is a public figure, maybe ditch the Super costume and get a black one. Maybe wear a mask. And then secretly destroy the causes of the war. After a fortnight of preparation for war, none of the armed forces equipment is functioning. Overnight the head of the state decided to declare truce. (After a whole night of being terrorized beyond his wildest nightmares). There are no secret nuclear warheads. Within a few months, if not weeks, he can find out all the sensitive intelligence that's needed. He can infiltrate any installation and listen to every secret conversation. His heightened senses combined with the terrific Kryptonian technology would make him the most dangerous man on Earth.

They say that Superman can do just about anything. At the very least, he would provide medical aid, and protect lives of civilians. He wouldn't just wash off his hands and say this is beyond me. Protecting lives would sooner or later mean confrontation. Non-intervention could one day escalate into a nuclear war, and Superman would have lost his home all over again. First Krypton. Now Earth.

Actually, any story of Superman would deal with this 'human conflict' in some way. Either early or late in his career, he would have to deal with it. DC doesn't deal with it because he's meant to sell comics. Otherwise, he was dreamed as a character who could fight the battles, that we can't fight. Or something of that nature, unless i am misremembering it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-25-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    He would definitely intervene. There is a right and a wrong in the universe and the distinction should not be hard to make. That's how Superman thinks.

Dealing with the politics surrounding this could be complicated. But its not complicated to see that innocent lives are at risk. Whatever parties want to fight, they can fight amongst themselves. But when innocent lives are endangered, a Superman worth his salt wouldn't just keep quiet.

The nature of his intervention could be different. Superman as he was originally created could be very hands on. He can just hit the ground running. Protect the innocent. Disarm the fighters. Maybe barge into the government headquarters. And get the leaders who are responsible, to talk. Geopolitical complications be damned. No one can hurt the weak when Superman is on the ground.

Or maybe we are taking him lightly. Clark Kent is a reporter. He would have good knowledge about the geopolitics of the region, depending on the time he has spent studying it. Most reporters do have the knowledge. They might sacrifice it for the sake of agendas and ratings, but they know quite a bit about the truth. So, with a cooler head and with proper analysis of the situation he might take just the right steps that are needed to end the war, as shortly and as quickly as possible.

As we go further in Superman's publication history, we can see that he got access to more and more resources which could make his job easier. You soldiers wanna fight? Here take your weapons, and fight in the phantom zone and decide. Mr. President, do you want to be seen as a heartless leader who doesn't care for innocent lives? You are welcome. To the phantom zone.

If Superman doesn't want to be seen as intervening, he can take a leaf out of his own book: Secret Identity. In that book, nobody knew Superman was real. But he was helping out everyone without their knowledge. If Superman is a public figure, maybe ditch the Super costume and get a black one. Maybe wear a mask. And then secretly destroy the causes of the war. After a fortnight of preparation for war, none of the armed forces equipment is functioning. Overnight the head of the state decided to declare truce. (After a whole night of being terrorized beyond his wildest nightmares). There are no secret nuclear warheads. Within a few months, if not weeks, he can find out all the sensitive intelligence that's needed. He can infiltrate any installation and listen to every secret conversation. His heightened senses combined with the terrific Kryptonian technology would make him the most dangerous man on Earth.

They say that Superman can do just about anything. At the very least, he would provide medical aid, and protect lives of civilians. He wouldn't just wash off his hands and say this is beyond me. Protecting lives would sooner or later mean confrontation. Non-intervention could one day escalate into a nuclear war, and Superman would have lost his home all over again. First Krypton. Now Earth.

Actually, any story of Superman would deal with this 'human conflict' in some way. Either early or late in his career, he would have to deal with it. DC doesn't deal with it because he's meant to sell comics. Otherwise, he was dreamed as a character who could fight the battles, that we can't fight. Or something of that nature, unless i am misremembering it.
    Exactly.

The cause of the conflict is irrelevant. Innocents are dying and Superman would step in to protect those innocents. Period.

Even beyond Superman, it’s what superheroes should do. I remember the Mark Millar Authority team doing this exact thing back in the day. It’s not about getting to the root of the conflict, it’s about the basics of protecting the innocents.

Ultimate Member

As an aside, I’m actually surprised at how many people in the US (mostly on the political right) have taken a lukewarm attitude and in some cases kind of support Putin.

Putin’s values and outlook is distinctly anti- US, anti-democratic and anti-west. If he had his way, the guy would be a modern day Stalin and likely forcibly re-create the Soviet Union. Putin’s words regarding Ukraine literally mirror Saddam Hussein’s words about Kuwait just before the first Gulf War..…literally.

But that’s how “white supremacy” has really clouded US politics. Americans are very quick to label other brutal dictators like those in China or others in the Middle East as thugs and killers when Putin is just as bad or in many ways worse than these countries. The only difference being 1) He’s white 2) He was something of an ally to Donald Trump, the new lord, savior and master of the new American Right 3) Russia has led an extremely successful disinformation campaign on social media in the US and a lot of people are drinking his Kool Aid.

Putin is murderous, corrupt, bloodthirsty thug and his actions in Ukraine just prove that fact.

*Rant Over*. Please go ahead and don’t let me derail the thread further.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

The cause of the conflict is irrelevant. Innocents are dying and Superman would step in to protect those innocents. Period.

Even beyond Superman, it’s what superheroes should do. I remember the Mark Millar Authority team doing this exact thing back in the day. It’s not about getting to the root of the conflict, it’s about the basics of protecting the innocents.
    Except he doesn't. Quick internet search said there were 40 wars being fought in 2021 alone. Innocents die ever day and Superman doesn't stop all of it. He just... can't.

I find the concept interesting, because I'm sure some of the same people who are saying that Superman would definitely stop the war, take all the weapons, depose the leaders.. etc. etc. are the very same people who hate the 'fascist Superman' made popular in things like Injustice. Looking at the world and saying 'That's it! I'm sick of all the evil. NO MORE EVIL while I'm around!" is EXACTLY how Injustice started out. He stopped the wars, took the weapons, threatened anyone who kept up with teh conflicting harsher punishments... and then things escalated. But he started out the same way. He was moving the line in the sand and deciding he knew what was best and he had the power to enforce it.

On a separate note, the JLA was specifically formed to STOP alien invasions from taking over the world... even if it's an alien invasion of one.

I picture Clark fighting with the governments to step up and make things right... but I just don't see him taking control of other countries sovereignty. He didn't do in the other dozens of wars... he wouldn't do it here.

Green Lantern probably would though. It's like legit his JOB to protect the planet as a whole and not get tied up in things like 'international borders.'

Superman can't protect everyone.Doesn't mean he won't try.Superman was meant to run around.Not sit on his ass at a stupid farm or an office doing stupid drama.Cause that ain't the right thing to do.Atleast, mine does the right thing.Leaping tall buildings and running on electric cable...all that.

"slippary slope" and "intervention=fascist superman",I see no credible arguments here.

Precisely why i prefer jsa..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-26-2022 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I find the concept interesting, because I'm sure some of the same people who are saying that Superman would definitely stop the war, take all the weapons, depose the leaders.. etc. etc. are the very same people who hate the 'fascist Superman' made popular in things like Injustice. Looking at the world and saying 'That's it! I'm sick of all the evil. NO MORE EVIL while I'm around!" is EXACTLY how Injustice started out.
    There's a big difference between him dismantling all the weapons in the area of a conflict - something he was doing in the Fleischer cartoons of the 40's, only in that case it was on one side, and Injustice Superman. One lead to the other in Injustice, but that doesn't mean it has to be that way.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/