Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Talent that Marvel should grab.

Just like the title says. Let us begin.

Warren Ellis: Calm down. Breath. That's it, deep breaths. Hear me out. Now that we are some distance out from the whole fiasco and have had time to really look at it I have to say what Ellis did in his personal life with other consenting adults is none of my business. The dude can write and would be eager to prove himself again and Marvel can always use a good writer.

What would he write?: I'm thinking an X-title. Marvel has a bunch of those.

John Byrne: He can write. He can also still draw better than at least sixty to seventy percent of most of the artist Marvel has on their titles.

What would he write/draw:Prince Namor The Sub-Mariner. There was a time when I would not shut up about how great the Ron Marz/Ron Lim run on Silver Surfer was. One day Marvel decided to put them back together. Go look at the results, I'll wait. We all know who has the best Namor run.

Feel free to bring up names of creators that you think would really be of use to Marvel.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Brian Michael Bendis. He wrote the best stories for Marvel in ages. He has rested in DC long enough, it's time to bring him back.

• Creator: Frank Miller

• Title: Captain America

Assign Captain America (either a mini-series or an ongoing) to Frank Miller, and let his genius & imagination run wild on the title (XD)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-23-2022 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Brian Michael Bendis. He wrote the best stories for Marvel in ages. He has rested in DC long enough, it's time to bring him back.
    He wasn't resting at DC. He was quite busy tanking Superman, Legion Of Superheroes and Justice League. Any characters he can do at Marvel are already in capable hands. Plus Bendis never broke his bad habits (overly wordy, padding) if anything he has doubled down on them. He was the first bad omen that hinted at the current dark age that was to come at DC.

This is who you should get....

Peter Tomasi: Forever underrated. He does great work but no one ever remembers him. This is where I would list his achievements but go and look him up, It's the least we can do for the poor guy LOL.

What would he write?: Ladies and Gentlemen meet the man that is going to make everyone love Captain Marvel!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BENDIS!! No, no, no, no.

Christopher Priest. Preferred titles: Avengers. Thor. Captain America. X-Men (main title). Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    He wasn't resting at DC. He was quite busy tanking Superman, Legion Of Superheroes and Justice League. Any characters he can do at Marvel are already in capable hands. Plus Bendis never broke his bad habits (overly wordy, padding) if anything he has doubled down on them. He was the first bad omen that hinted at the current dark age that was to come at DC.
    I don't care about DC, but those things you call "bad habits" are in fact what I enjoyed about Bendis. So if he got even better in those years, that's even more reason to desire his return.

I don't care about DC, but those things you call "bad habits" are in fact what I enjoyed about Bendis. So if he got even better in those years, that's even more reason to desire his return.
    Yeah but, is everyone else going to be excited as you? I view Bendis much in the same way I view Liefield. Two creative people with styles so intense and unique to them that we looked past certain things because it just worked. The problem is once it stopped working they became parodies of themselves. Liefield had anatomy issues and pouches everywhere. Bendis has pacing issues and word balloons everywhere. I don't think Marvel has any editors that can reign in those bad habits.

Yeah but, is everyone else going to be excited as you? I view Bendis much in the same way I view Liefield. Two creative people with styles so intense and unique to them that we looked past certain things because it just worked. The problem is once it stopped working they became parodies of themselves. Liefield had anatomy issues and pouches everywhere. Bendis has pacing issues and word balloons everywhere. I don't think Marvel has any editors that can reign in those bad habits.
    Well, that's a job for those in the marketing office of Marvel. When I answer a question about personal tastes (such as which writer that is not in Marvel I would like to see joining it) I speak for myself, and myself alone; I do not claim to represent anybody else.

He did X-Men, Avengers, GOTG, and Defenders, but there's still two big teams he hasn't handled - Fantastic Four and Champions. FF wouldn't be his strong suit (GOTG is considered one of his weaker books), but I could see him taking on the Champs. At DC, he did write Young Justice, and he happens to be the creator of three of the Champions (Miles Morales, Ironheart, and Bombshell who started as an Ultimate Spider-Man supporting character).

His big strong suit is street level books though, and that means characters like Nighthawk, Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Daredevil. The latter two already have writers in place though. At DC, he'd have been at home on Batman... but it does look like he's on his way out there, with only Naomi Season 2 currently announced for after his Justice League run ends.

Coming back just to take back Miles Morales's solo book would be a backwards step though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Dan Jurgens made a great run with Thor in the 1990s, but other than that he has almost only worked for DC. Thor is fine right now, but perhaps Hulk can use another writer (that "Starship Hulk" nonsense has barely started and I want it to end ASAP).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Warren Ellis hates superheroes.

Frank Miller has been running on empty for decades

Bendis ran out of gas even before he left Marvel and most of his DC work has been pretty bad

Christopher Priest another guy who has just run out of gas

All these guys are old. If you want fresh new stories you need fresh new writers not guys whos best days are far behind them.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Warren Ellis hates superheroes.

Frank Miller has been running on empty for decades

Bendis ran out of gas even before he left Marvel and most of his DC work has been pretty bad

Christopher Priest another guy who has just run out of gas

All these guys are old. If you want fresh new stories you need fresh new writers not guys whos best days are far behind them.
    I think Frank Miller and John Byrne are non starters in this.

I think the above group would be good for a mini series or two. I think Priest did briefly come back to do a few things at Marvel not too long ago but no one seemed to notice. His U.S. Agent John Walker was just done in 2020. Plus he did Conan #25 with Larry Hama just this past November.

IMO we have a fine nucleus with Ewing, Zdarsky, Duggan and even Cantwell even though he just does Iron Man now. Right now he's got a couple of indy titles going. Rainbow Rowell got off to a good start on She Hulk.

I agree about those five (Al Ewing, Zdarksy, Duggan, Cantwell and Rowell), they need to stick around. I wish they'd give Jim Zub more work too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think Frank Miller and John Byrne are non starters in this.

I think the above group would be good for a mini series or two. I think Priest did briefly come back to do a few things at Marvel not too long ago but no one seemed to notice. His U.S. Agent John Walker was just done in 2020. Plus he did Conan #25 with Larry Hama just this past November.

IMO we have a fine nucleus with Ewing, Zdarsky, Duggan and even Cantwell even though he just does Iron Man now. Right now he's got a couple of indy titles going. Rainbow Rowell got off to a good start on She Hulk.
    Priest is at Dynamite expanding Vampirella and his formerly DC owned creation-Xero just got picked up for a movie.
    His issue with both companies is only being offered black characters. Which results in him getting the likes of US Agent and Deathstroke.

If you want fresh new stories you need fresh new writers not guys whos best days are far behind them.
    And how many times have we seen fans be TOXIC to new writers??? Especially those of color? Who get wrote off before the previews come out as preaching agendas or diversity hires.

Yet have zero issues at any other company NOT named Marvel or DC.