Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Why can't some characters keep their classic look?

I am an old fashion guy. I see characters today with shaved heads, goatees, and longer hair. Their costumes either look slightly different or completely different. Anyone miss Wolverine's 90s yellow outfit from the Fox cartoon or the brown and yellow one from the 80s?
    Last edited by DCCoolness; 08-29-2014 at 08:23 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Do you seriously want Luke Cage running around in that yellow satin shirt with the 1970s era wide butterfly collar, afro and metal headband???

And which one of Wasp's costumes would you consider her "classic" look? Hopefully, not the one with the pointy hat. ha ha

I think you have to update a character's costume, if for no other reason than to show a change in era. Same applies to a character's diction.

Variety is important. Seeing the same old costumes over and over again ad infinitum would get boring.
    On ye olde CBR

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

For the same reason we are not all running around in animal fur.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Spectacular Member VideoGameCinema's Avatar

Because change is good? Because it is, you know... Having a character wear the same thing for 30+ years would definitely get boring and tiresome. Personally, I love when they switch their costumes, I get a sense that Marvel is ready to move on, and that always makes me happy.

(Superior Spider-Man is a great example of a good costume change)

BANNED

Everything changes with time.

Mighty Member

I miss Beast as the world's largest dwarf and Iceman looking like he misplaced his button nose.

Where would be the fun in that? Plus, a lot of "classic" looks are, to be completely honest, really frigging stupid. Psylocke's "classic" costume would be the purple swimsuit. (Or, alternatively, that really baggy, puffy outfit she had in the '80s.) Her current costume is easily the best she's ever worn.

But mostly, it's just nice to change things up now and then.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

You guys almost make it sound like keeping an older costume is a bad thing. Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Nightcrawler still have their classic looks. No one would care if they FF went back to the old costumes. Black Widow and Black Panther essentially look the same as their '60s incarnations.

Suspension of disbelief is very tricky and individual. Some comic fans go hard for new costumes, as if having a blank crotch makes Wolverine's bright yellow look any less silly. Pretty much any of the casuals and non-readers I know don't give a rat's ass. DC had Jim Lee redesign everyone, but all those costumes are looked down on by the fans.

IMO, the original Cap costume shouldn't have been messed with. First, the scales and hard mask made it ugly. He never really used the utility belt he got shortly after. And then the Ultimovie style was never consistently drawn. They tried to make "functional" out of something that can't ever exist.

Wolverine's last costume was a mess, even less consistent than Cap's. The yellow jumpsuit was okay, but I don't think the brown scheme will ever be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by VideoGameCinema View Post
    Because change is good? Because it is, you know... Having a character wear the same thing for 30+ years would definitely get boring and tiresome.
    Spider-Man has been wearing the same costume since his inception (The black suit could have easily never reached print if it wasn't for the efforts of one lucky fan), with minor details being changed artist to artist. I don't see anyone getting tired of the look.

Change doesn't mean it's good, especially when it's bad.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 11-25-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    Because PETA would throw red paint on us?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Imraith Nimphais View Post
    speak for yourself. Growllllllllllll

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Do you seriously want Luke Cage running around in that yellow satin shirt with the 1970s era wide butterfly collar, afro and metal headband???
    I would just like to state that my first exposure to Luke Cage was that particular version, in an issue of X-Men where he teamed up with Storm (in her original costume, which is arguably one of the most awesome costume designs ever), fending off drug addicts in New York, and I thought those two were the epitome of bad@$$. So I understand the desire for characters to keep their old looks.

But it just doesn't resonate with new readers. It would be suicide for Marvel to do it. I mean, can you imagine if all the X-Men wore the original 60s outfit? There never would have been that 90s Wolverine costume.
    Looking for something new to read? Try our illustrated superhero stories and novels!
    Free short stories and previews, art and character bios at Ascension Epoch.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shellpresto View Post
    I would just like to state that my first exposure to Luke Cage was that particular version, in an issue of X-Men where he teamed up with Storm (in her original costume, which is arguably one of the most awesome costume designs ever), fending off drug addicts in New York, and I thought those two were the epitome of bad@$$. So I understand the desire for characters to keep their old looks.

But it just doesn't resonate with new readers. It would be suicide for Marvel to do it. I mean, can you imagine if all the X-Men wore the original 60s outfit? There never would have been that 90s Wolverine costume.
    Actually, the appeal of Xavier recruiting the then "new" X-Men members of Storm, Thunderbird, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, et al., was that they were very much adults with established individual identities. Sure, he could have psionically coerced them into wearing a team uniform, but eventually the stronger willed in the group like Wolverine and Storm would have found out about it and fried Xavier's behind for treating them like kids.

, but they were present(often in detail you did not notice at first glance). Example how it is exactly the patern of the wep on Spiderman costume? And the Spider on his chest, how big it is, and the size of his "eyes", and the waist line, and the space between his gloves and the blue part of the arm, web shooters insider or outside? Is red and blue or red and blakc, and what type of red and blue then?
    Don't forget he had webbing in his armpits also!