Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default BETTER movie versions of book/comics you wanna see?

Costumed villain remake of Wanted

A Connecticut Yankee in King' Arthurs court - time travel causes DISASTER for the human race.

Steampunk or maybe 1938 era War of the Worlds

(Others?)

Well, a better Green Lantern movie...

Mighty Member

Thanks. A Dark Tower series would be good NOT just a 90 minute "book trailer" version...

Also, Stephen King's Cycle of the werewolf with better creature FX than Silver Bullet . Shows the gradual fear and paranoia gripping the town each full moon..

Extraordinary Member

Catwoman - Largely because it feels like making a cheap but good super-thief story can’t be that hard, and the old movie was an insane collection of nonsense that had nothing to do with the property.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
    Green Lantern
    A good live action Robin (not necessarily in a solo movie)
    Eragon
    His Dark Materials
    Confessions of a Shopaholic

Kind of a short list for now.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 02-22-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Blade Trinity.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

From Hell.

Watchmen of course. Biggest gap in quality between source material and adaptation I can think of.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Batman: The Long Halloween. I get that I'm literally the only person here who didn't like the recent "adaptation" but so what? I didn't like it. I felt like as an original story the film still would have been mediocre at best, but as an adaptation of my favorite Batman story is was a complete butchery. There's literally nothing positive I can say about it other than "I've seen worse."

Jonah Hex - a bit of a cheat, what I really want is just a really good PG or PG13 Western - there's been some decent westerns with Django and Hateful 8, but holy heck you shouldn't show those to kids. But I can't really name a western book or comic with a movie other than Jonah Hex, and that one wasn't really good.
    Wait, is the Lone Ranger a book or comic character, or was his start that old black and white series? Because that's another western character in need of a good new movie.

A bit of a cheat, because these characters have had good movies already, but another adaptation of any Sherlock Holmes story or Dracula is welcome, just because they're some of my favorite literary characters and I haven't been as in awe of their recent outings as some. Ditto King Arthur, Robin Hood, Tarzan, Hercules, Frankenstein and other old and/or public domain favorites. How hard could it be to do right by these characters now? At least I have the relatively recent Mr. Holmes for a good modern Sherlock film (god, the money I would pay to see Sir Ian McKellan play Sherlock in his "prime" aka still solving mysteries, he was so perfect in the role). And the last Tarzan movie was fairly good. For the rest though, their best "recent" stuff is still decades old at this point!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Also, Stephen King's Cycle of the werewolf with better creature FX than Silver Bullet . Shows the gradual fear and paranoia gripping the town each full moon..
    I'll second this, if only because it feels like there hasn't been a really good werewolf movie in the longest time. Never read the story, but I loved Silver Bullet, and if there could be a better version of that I'm all for it. Love me some good werewolf stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Catwoman - Largely because it feels like making a cheap but good super-thief story can’t be that hard, and the old movie was an insane collection of nonsense that had nothing to do with the property.
    This, for basically the same reasons you state. If they can do anime like Lupin III or a Netflix original like Red Notice, they can do a decent Catwoman. Only question is should it be a spin off of The Batman or it's own self contained universe like Joker. Personally I'm getting tired of the "everything is connected" shared cinematic universe obsession so my vote is stand alone movie verse - the fact we're already getting a GCPD and a Penguin spin off series of The Batman feels like a bit too much already. But hey, if Zoe Kravits is as good in the role as she looks in the trailers, I'd be okay with it.

Spawn, Blade

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Stephen King's Dark Tower, but as a series rather than a movie. (This was in the works, but I have no idea what the status is.)

The Earthsea trilogy

The Hobbit

The Martian Chronicles

Millennium (John Varley)

The Black Cauldron (and the other Prydain stories)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A Wrinkle in Time

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Stephen King's Dark Tower, but as a series rather than a movie. (This was in the works, but I have no idea what the status is.)

The Earthsea trilogy

The Hobbit

The Martian Chronicles

Millennium (John Varley)

The Black Cauldron (and the other Prydain stories)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A Wrinkle in Time
    Agree on the Hobbit.

Disagree on Hitchhiker's Guide.

Douglas Adams wrote the script for the movie with Zooey Deschanel, Mos Def, Martin Freeman, Sam Rockwell, and Alan Rickman. He has a long history of changing the story for different mediums (radio, tele, novels, film, games, and series) and I would have loved a Restaurant at the End of the Universe sequel with that cast. One of his best gadgets came in that movie, too ( the Point-Of-View Gun). Sadly, Rickman is gone.

I hope the new series on Hulu/ Fox is good.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Green Lantern. Geoff Johns' run is an absolute goldmine. A live action Sinestro Corps War or Blackest Night would be a dream come true.

More Hellboy would be nice. A prequel could be fun and would've solved some of 2019's problems.

Another Being Human US remake based on the Tom/Hal/Alex years.

Another take on Iron Fist that's more of an Urban Fantasy like Buffy/Angel.

Another Constantine show based off the recent Spurrier/Campbell run would be great.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-23-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Spectacular Member

The Saint
    The Phantom
    Actually making the Mandarin the villain he is in comics
    Green Lantern
    A better and more coherent Heroes series picking up on season 2
    The Kelvin Star Trek Timeline--Sorry I just don't enjoy those movies
    A non-comedy Green Hornet
    And, er..Justice League? (runs and hides...)