Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    May I add I’m surprised no one posted a Peanuts cover?
    I briefly considered it, but Peanuts is pretty minimalist and I figured anything I posted would likely be forgotten quickly.
    I searched for an hour for a good Phantom collection cover, but nothing caught my eye.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Does anyone else like Beetle bailey or Wizard of Id? I was debating a cover from one of those.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Does anyone else like Beetle bailey or Wizard of Id? I was debating a cover from one of those.
    I'm a huge fan of those along with Hagar The Horrible. I learned to read comics through the Sunday funnies and through Tempo paperback collections of strips we had around the house before I started reading comic books regularly. Beetle Bailey, Hagar, Broom Hilda, and Hagar were among those paperbacks as well as getting read every week with my dad on Sundays. Peanuts, Tarzan, Phantom, Prince Valiant, and others were appointment reading as a kid, and all the others mentioned plus the likes of Blondie, Hi and Lois, and many eithers fueled my love of comics before I read my first super-hero book. Even now, when people ask me my favorite comics of all time, Canniff's Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon, Walt Kelly's Pogo, Raymond' Flash Gordon, Foster's Prince Valiant and Tarzan, Falk's Phantom, Watterson's Calvin & Hobbes, and Breathed's Bloom County will get listed.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 03-03-2022 at 03:11 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Nschornhorst View Post
    That looks fun! I'll have to look for it sometime..
    Our library actually has them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Thank you for helping me with my grand-niece's gift shopping!
    Yes, and I think they are up to the 14th book.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I'm a huge fan of those along with Hagar The Horrible. I learned to read comics through the Sunday funnies and through Tempo paperback collections of strips we had around the house before I started reading comic books regularly. Beetle Bailey, Hagar, Broom Hilda, and Hagar were among those paperbacks as well as getting read every week with my dad on Sundays. Peanuts, Tarzan, Phantom, Prince Valiant, and others were appointment reading as a kid, and all the others mentioned plus the likes of Blondie, Hi and Lois, and many eithers fueled my love of comics before I read my first super-hero book. Even now, when people ask me my favorite comics of all time, Canniff's Terry and the Pirates and Steve Canyon, Walt Kelly's Pogo, Raymond' Flash Gordon, Foster's Prince Valiant and Tarzan, Falk's Phantom, Watterson's Calvin & Hobbes, and Breathed's Bloom County will get listed.

-M
    I had a ton of the paperback collections of Peanuts, Wizrd of Id, B.C., Andy Capp, and of course, Garfield.
    I'd spend hours reading and re-reading them. I also had a bunch of the Ripley's Believe It Or Not! collections. Good times...
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I used to collect the little books of Heathcliff, Family Circus, Garfield, Far Side, and of course Calvin & Hobbes. My mom has a ton of the Peanuts books and my father has Bloom County/Outland. Lately, my favorite strips to collect are Pearls Before Swine and Sherman's Lagoon. I've also been having fun riffing on Mary Worth and Mark Trail on Comics Kingdom. I'm glad so many folks here still love the daily comic strips! <3