View Poll Results: Superman. American Icon or Global Icon?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • American Icon

3 11.11%
  • Global Icon

5 18.52%
  • Both

19 70.37%
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Superman: American Icon Or Global Icon?

After encountering the discourse that led me to writing this article (https://www.supermanhomepage.com/sup...r-global-icon/), I decided to make a poll to see what everybody else on the forum think.

Do you think Superman is an American icon, a global icon or is he both?
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

Both is IMO the only realistic answer here if we're all being honest about it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman can't be an icon at all cause icon is the icon.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Both is IMO the only realistic answer here if we're all being honest about it.
    Yeah, I agree.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

Everyone knows about Superman even if they prefer other heroes as well. Manga and anime wouldn't be able to base characters off of him otherwise.

Now that I think about it, why wouldn't he be an American Icon?

Amazing Member

Heys both i don't think you could ever limit him to one country

Both, obviously.

The man is the second most well known fictional character on the planet, even after all these years of mismanagement and poorly received efforts in larger media. For almost a century, his face has been seen from one corner of the globe to the other and you can't find an elderly grandmother anywhere who doesn't recognize his emblem. Superman reached the level of "global icon" before any of us were even born.

But Clark also represents the very best of American ideals. Every good thing we're supposed to be, Clark embodies. He's as utterly American as any idea can get, and he couldn't have been created anywhere else in the world.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Both for me. My dad is not from the US but he is the one that got me into Superman and comics. To have left That kind of impression on my dad and then for him to pass that on to me and my brothers speaks to how much of an icon the Man of Steel is. This is unrelated but that scene in Superman IV where he's at the UN needing a sponsor and every nation raising their hands gets me every time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Both, obviously.

The man is the second most well known fictional character on the planet, even after all these years of mismanagement and poorly received efforts in larger media. For almost a century, his face has been seen from one corner of the globe to the other and you can't find an elderly grandmother anywhere who doesn't recognize his emblem. Superman reached the level of "global icon" before any of us were even born.

But Clark also represents the very best of American ideals. Every good thing we're supposed to be, Clark embodies. He's as utterly American as any idea can get, and he couldn't have been created anywhere else in the world.
    id argue hes 4th

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    id argue hes 4th
    The rankings may have changed since the study was done (it's a few years old now), but I wasn't speaking from my own opinion but citing a peer reviewed research paper. I doubt the results would be much different though, it wasn't measuring short-term popularity like what you'd see after a successful movie premier, but "true" fame; sheer recognizability factor.

Mickey Mouse was number one, Clark was number two, and I forget who else came after that. Batman and Wonder Woman, among a few other Western characters, made the list (Diana was near the bottom but she was on it), as did a few characters from the other side of the world I didn't know. And the survey omitted figures from religions, many of whom would have likely ranked fairly high.

Sometimes I think I should have gone into sociology, they get to research the weirdest sh*t.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Originally, he was an American Icon, but now he is recognized around the world. Success does that!