Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I've gotten to the point where I've started to think Lorna isn't in things because Marvel isn't ready for her and what she has to offer. They can't see her potential or the growing interest in her. Comic books are notorious for lagging behind on things like treatment of women. Lorna is probably one of those cases where Marvel isn't going to recognize what they're missing out on until they've progressed over the years and people that actually do see it get to take the reins.
    It's possible that being retconned into being Magneto's daughter has hurt her more than it helped her (much as Wanda and Pietro were hurt badly after X-Men Evolution and House of M made people take their biological origin seriously as an important plot point). Magneto is the kind of character who fascinates writers so much that anyone connected to him sort of winds up in his shadow. It may be too late to un-retcon this and I know most fans of the character seem to prefer her being Magneto's daughter. But I don't think it's helped her as a character at all now that every other question about her since House of M is "will they acknowledge her as part of the family?"

(Actually I'd rather Wanda and Pietro were retconned into not being Magneto's kids so they can go back to being each others' only living relatives; Lorna can be Magneto's only daughter. But this is a pipe dream.)

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's possible that being retconned into being Magneto's daughter has hurt her more than it helped her (much as Wanda and Pietro were hurt badly after X-Men Evolution and House of M made people take their biological origin seriously as an important plot point). Magneto is the kind of character who fascinates writers so much that anyone connected to him sort of winds up in his shadow. It may be too late to un-retcon this and I know most fans of the character seem to prefer her being Magneto's daughter. But I don't think it's helped her as a character at all now that every other question about her since House of M is "will they acknowledge her as part of the family?"

(Actually I'd rather Wanda and Pietro were retconned into not being Magneto's kids so they can go back to being each others' only living relatives; Lorna can be Magneto's only daughter. But this is a pipe dream.)
    Lorna was created to be Magneto's daughter. Then she was retconned out of being his daughter. It's THAT retcon that's hurt her, not the fixing of it to set things right. We have two decades of Lorna getting treated increasingly poorly when she was no longer his daughter to prove having that aspect of her character taken away from her didn't bring about anything good. If it had, she'd be a household name today just like all the other characters created when she was.

People are asking for Marvel to use and acknowledge her family ties specifically because Marvel keeps refusing to do so. There's a hell of a lot of potential there. There are so many stories that can be told and are waiting for that chance, and the only reason it's not happening is because certain people at Marvel don't see it, or they do but are too blinded by emotions and ulterior motives to let them play out. It's all about supply and demand. People are demanding this, and Marvel isn't willing to supply it to meet demand.

The more people want something and aren't getting it, the louder and more incessant they become in saying they want it. That's the real reason every other question about her since House of M has been a call for more of her as part of her family. You're attempting to frame it as a sign that she's being reduced somehow, when in fact it's a sign that Marvel is not listening to what fans are asking them to provide. People don't persistently ask for things they don't want, nor do fans ask to see their favorite characters ruined. They ask for things they know to have a great deal of potential.

I'm not going to say Lorna shouldn't be part of her family just because some people at Marvel can't see what she can do for them and Marvel as a whole. Doubly so if those people go out of their way to punish that potential and stifle progress toward that potential getting use.
    Last edited by salarta; 09-02-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Lorna was created to be Magneto's daughter. Then she was retconned out of being his daughter. It's THAT retcon that's hurt her, not the fixing of it to set things right. We have two decades of Lorna getting treated increasingly poorly when she was no longer his daughter to prove having that aspect of her character taken away from her didn't bring about anything good. If it had, she'd be a household name today just like all the other characters created when she was.
    That's a fair way to look at it, I'm just pointing out the other side of it - being Magneto's daughter isn't a great hook for a character. In fact, it's kind of limiting, especially once writers fell in love with writing Magneto. I'm not saying she wasn't hurt by the confusion over who she was and where she came from - I just don't know if making her officially Magneto's daughter is any better for her. Surely there would have been other things the writers could have found to do with her that didn't tie her so completely to a character who overshadows everyone in his path.

The more people want something and aren't getting it, the louder and more incessant they become in saying they want it. That's the real reason every other question about her since House of M has been a call for more of her as part of her family. You're attempting to frame it as a sign that she's being reduced somehow, when in fact it's a sign that Marvel is not listening to what fans are asking them to provide. People don't persistently ask for things they don't want, nor do fans ask to see their favorite characters ruined. They ask for things they know to have a great deal of potential.
    Fans ask for what they want, and they should. That doesn't mean they do have a great deal of potential, though. Fans have wanted to see more of Wanda/Pietro with Magneto because of X-Men:Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men, but it's a terrible, limited relationship that diminishes Wanda and Pietro as characters by reducing them from major Avengers to minor X-Men characters. I'd be very happy, as I said, if they had never been retconned into being Magneto's kids - but I can understand why people would think differently and want to see Magneto interact with them more. I just don't think he's good for any of these characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

Nah...it's none of that. Lorna debuted under the Magneto curtain...years before they ever went with Wanda and Pietro being his kids. It's just lazy editors and uncreative writers who do nothing with it. They find a million ways to push Daken and X 23 but they can't push a female mainstay since 1968? Especially after the roll she was on back in 03...hell, this whole Scott Summers storyline where he ends up as a second rate wannabe Magneto was done better in Uncanny in 2003 when Lorna adapted to him under Austen's run. Lorena should of been the one doing revolutions..All of that. It was a natural and organic spot after House of M..but for some reason, the editors got rid of Jean to push Emma and Scott together while he started talking like Lorna from 03. Hilarious.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

This entire thing is going to end the way the Original Onslaught Saga ended- except reverse. Instead of the Avengers/ Marvel U superheroes getting shunted off to a pocket dimension, it'll be the X-men.