Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Redesigning Destiny

So after the success of asking various artists to redesign Madelyn Pryor, Josh Cornillon (brilliant x-fan artist, you should DEFINITELY follow him) made a new project : create a new costume for the newly ressurected precog Destiny !
    You can find all the designs here with explanation from the artists.
    https://www.comicsxf.com/2022/02/24/...gning-destiny/

Which design do you prefer ? And which X-person in dire need for a new costume would you like to see for another project (for me, Colossus and Nightcrawler) ?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Terry Blas or Andrew Drilon, the rest is TERRIBLE.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

She doesn't need a redesign... for a good long time. She is an underused character/design rooted in the Claremont era. Her classic look gives us nostalgia, while still being fresh.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Terry Blas or Andrew Drilon, the rest is TERRIBLE.
    Yeah I tried going in with an open mind but a lot of them were pretty bad. I especially did not care for that first one.

I didn't think Calvin Lin's was bad, though. I like the mask at least

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    She doesn't need a redesign... for a good long time. She is an underused character/design rooted in the Claremont era. Her classic look gives us nostalgia, while still being fresh.
    Agreed. I get the appeal of wanting to redesign a character but her classic look is good and none of these top it imo.
    Make Good Art

Nothing quite encompasses “Thanks, I hate it.” like these designs.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Andrew Drilon was the only one I found appealing.
    Mutant and Proud!

Astonishing Member

Anything without her full mask is always going to be a miss for me, because I headcanon that the entire reason she wears it is because it eliminates most of her obvious tells whenever she has an unexpected vision or sees something she can't help but react to in SOME way, but doesn't want people like.....jumping to conclusions based on her micro-reactions rather than her interpretation of her own visions.

Like I like to think that even with his skill reading body language, Cypher has trouble picking up clues about what Destiny sees or knows in any given moment, because he can read her body but not any of the micro-expressions on her face, and beneath her mask Irene just smiles at his frustration and is like, yes, that's sort of the point, child.

Those designs range from bad to ridiculously bad.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Uhhhhh...
    NO! just no.
    My flag is bacon.

Extraordinary Member

I will admit my first reaction to this (and the Maddie link) was "why?" and I guess with little context other than the loaded term 'redesign' my mind hated the idea of changing designs that I more or less like.

That said, after taking a break away from the screen and returning to check on the thread (and seeing some similar reactions), I took a look again and this time read the artists explanations and I kind of like the idea of it now. I don't know if any of them blow me away but I appreciate the reasons behind the designs.

My biggest problem is that I like simple. Simple to draw, simple to recognize, simple to follow. So the more frills and patterns and lines that get added the more I dislike; that is just more of a critique of modern costume design than these particular designs.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Agreed, Destiny has one of my most favorite character designs and costumes ESPECIALLY her mask. It is perfection depending on whose drawing it for example:

Ooh, my eyes, lol. Please no!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Smith's (love that cape and line details)...but without the horns and Destiny's mask should always cover her entire face.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I like a lot of these as fashion pieces not so much as costumes. Valentine’s is probably my favorite of the bunch, though I would have made the boots black with gold accents and lose the horns.

Haha I didn't thought this would induce such heated answers ! Should have I titled the thread "Destiny fan art" to divert the hatred ?

I personally love some of them, if not all.

I love the mask, but I admit I like the idea of taking it off on Krakoa, so Cornillon would be so cool for me.

I really like the designs by Blas and Smith.