Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Deadly Neighbourhood Spider-Man From Taboo and B. Earl

Today, SYFY WIRE can exclusively reveal one of Marvel's new Spidey adventures is Deady Neighborhood Spider-Man, a "revolutionary dark take" on the character from the writing team of Taboo (of The Black Eyed Peas fame) and B. Earl, with art by Juan Ferreyra and covers by Rahzzah, Peach Momoko, Josemaria Casanovas, and Rafael Albuquerque.

Launching later this year, the five-issue miniseries will take Peter Parker from his usual stomping grounds of New York City to Los Angeles, where he'll find that the City of Angels isn't looking very angelic. Demons are stalking the streets, in particular the legendary entity known as the Demon Bear, and the darkness he finds on the West Coast is set to test Peter in ways he's never encountered before.

“Being the first Indigenous writer to co-write this new Spider-Man comic with my brother B. Earl is a huge step in opening more doors for underrepresented talent to shape universally known comic characters," Taboo said in a statement. "As a lifelong fan of everything Spider-Man, this is a childhood dream come true. To go from collecting toys to penning our own Spidey story that brings our hero to my place of birth, Los Angeles, California — Pasadena to be exact — we are humbled and thankful. I see all the opportunities our Marvel family has given us as writers and truly appreciate their trust and ongoing support. We transformed their confidence into fuel that ignited our creativity to write a fun and exciting read for all our amazing Marvel Heads!”

Earl, who co-wrote Marvel's latest incarnation of Werewolf by Night alongside Taboo, also emphasized the Indigenous story elements they're integrating into the story, as well as their efforts to give Spider-Man a little California flavor.

“Not going to lie, taking on Spider-Man is both scary and invigorating," Earl said. "Taboo and I have been on an incredible journey with our Marvel family, from creating a brand-new Werewolf By Night series to launching a solo story for Kushala: Spirit Rider. Being trusted with Marvel’s most iconic superhero, Spider-Man, is an honor for this Jersey kid who went to bed imagining he was swinging through the streets of Manhattan, saving the city. When Taboo and I found out we had the go-ahead for a new Peter Parker adventure, we began earnestly weaving a tale that would lean into our strengths of pulling from Indigenous storytelling while balancing the intersection of pop culture. Since we’re both in LA, we decided to bring Spidey out to sunny California…but spin a fantastic tale of dark horror that ultimately will turn our friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man DEADLY!”
    https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/exclu...man-miniseries

Astonishing Member

Interesting it is Peter and not Ben. I wonder if this will tie in to MJ’s movie career?

Astonishing Member

As I said in the other thread, I can’t say I’m that broken up about Ben not being written by some guy known for playing in ‘The Black Eyed Peas.’ That’s so random. This sounds like another Henry Abrams situation. With no Ben, I thankfully have no reason to buy this.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Indeed, this should be pretty interesting, especially given that spiders do factor into some Native American folklore, such as Iktomi, a trickster deity who may well be a Native American counterpart to Anansi the Spider from West African mythology and folklore, whom JMS did connect to Spider-Man's origin in his run where he presented Spider-Man's power as having a more supernatural component or source.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

From coast to coast. Not the first time Spidey goes to Los Angeles, though.

Extraordinary Member

Glad to see Peter getting some more, specially w/ ASM going twice a month.

THis confirms Ben won't die but will also not be Spider-man anymore

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Glad to see Peter getting some more, specially w/ ASM going twice a month.

THis confirms Ben won't die but will also not be Spider-man anymore
    No it doesnt. It's a mini by a celeb. Ben could still be 'a' Spider-man or whoever they teased as well

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    No it doesnt. It's a mini by a celeb. Ben could still be 'a' Spider-man or whoever they teased as well
    Yeah. According to "Timeless #1", it seems Ben (and possibly Janice) will move to Hollywood... For some reason.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Seems like you aren't aware of this

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...der-man-beyond

"In this double-sized finale issue, Peter Parker and Ben will go web-to-web in a devastating battle. And while it may very well mark the end of Ben’s time as Spider-Man, it may be the beginning of something else..."

And timeless is similar to the teases we got way back when and many of which haven't seen like the Stark-Frost wedding.And they probably didn't have the new design suit for Ben

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    From coast to coast. Not the first time Spidey goes to Los Angeles, though.
    I am a huge fan of “Fish out of water” stories and am looking forward to this. I think of an issue many years ago, where Peter ended up in New Orleans, and had to fight a creature he could not beat. He only won because the postman rang the door of the person behind it and killed him. Peter’s last line “I do not know but somehow I won.” I wish I knew what that issue was ( I think it was a one shot not Amazing). I would also note the Santeria issues a few years ago about Peter in a completely different environment.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am a huge fan of “Fish out of water” stories and am looking forward to this. I think of an issue many years ago, where Peter ended up in New Orleans, and had to fight a creature he could not beat. He only won because the postman rang the door of the person behind it and killed him. Peter’s last line “I do not know but somehow I won.” I wish I knew what that issue was ( I think it was a one shot not Amazing). I would also note the Santeria issues a few years ago about Peter in a completely different environment.
    that ended up being a one-shot villain, who was a Puppet-Master-lite guy, and he had a robot who was battling Spidey and strangling him. The doorbell somehow caused some weird feedback to the villain's electrical equipment systems in his place and... lol.. I remember reading it in a digest-sized reprint book from the late 80s.

ah, here we go:

https://www.supermegamonkey.net/chro...eroes_14.shtml

I feel like it would be a waste to have Peter in LA and not have MJ tag along with him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    that ended up being a one-shot villain, who was a Puppet-Master-lite guy, and he had a robot who was battling Spidey and strangling him. The doorbell somehow caused some weird feedback to the villain's electrical equipment systems in his place and... lol.. I remember reading it in a digest-sized reprint book from the late 80s.

ah, here we go:

https://www.supermegamonkey.net/chro...eroes_14.shtml
    I want to thank you for letting me know where that story came from, I have been scratching my head for many years trying to figure out where it came from.Why? Because I really enjoyed it and would like to reread it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like it would be a waste to have Peter in LA and not have MJ tag along with him.
    Yeah, maybe it's MJ who's going to LA and Peter goes with her for moral support, only to get entangled with the Demon Bear.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Do love all the Peter minis we’ve been getting recently, (Non-Stop, Savage, Spine-Tingling, and now this) but I hope Peter gets a satellite title again soon. Having an alternate to ASM where the writers have more freedom like Spectacular would be cool. Enjoying all the recent Spidey content!
    Last edited by Crazyspideyfan; 02-25-2022 at 06:17 PM.