Page 55 of 80 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

man, I honestly would have thought editorial would allow Zdarsky the space he needs; but even he can't escape their mandates.

At least there isn't a millions original characters running around.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    man, I honestly would have thought editorial would allow Zdarsky the space he needs; but even he can't escape their mandates.

Ironically editorial is why he mentioned to never wanting the main Spider-Man ongoing.

Which makes it kinda funny that he picked up Batman despite suffering from similar problems.

Astonishing Member

It's not just editorial, it's fans as well. His problem with writing ASM was that everybody is building specific expectations and start to demand only the vision they want, instead of focusing on something he wants to do, and he doesn't want to deal with toxic discourse, surrounding ASM.
    And it's the reason why I believe he's not really happy writing Batman currently. Because technically it's the same thing that prevented him from writing ASM - everybody is critisizing him and tell him how to write the book, and he probably hates it, because it's his take on the character he wants to write.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's not just editorial, it's fans as well. His problem with writing ASM was that everybody is building specific expectations and start to demand only the vision they want, instead of focusing on something he wants to do, and he doesn't want to deal with toxic discourse, surrounding ASM.
    And it's the reason why I believe he's not really happy writing Batman currently. Because technically it's the same thing that prevented him from writing ASM - everybody is critisizing him and tell him how to write the book, and he probably hates it, because it's his take on the character he wants to write.
    To be fair, writers should know they couldn't have freedom to write what they want im DC or Marvel. After all, the characters don't belong to them, while there should be guidelines about how a established character behaves.

If writers want complete freedom, they should write independent comics (or at least an OGN).
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-05-2023 at 03:50 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

My only expectation is that the story is good...he didn't meet it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I guess to me it doesn't even feel like it's his take because it just feels like he's riffing on other stories that were told much better than his run.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

TBH, none of Zdarsky's run so far has really felt editorial driven. I'm not getting the vibes he's been forced to do anything yet.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    TBH, none of Zdarsky's run so far has really felt editorial driven. I'm not getting the vibes he's been forced to do anything yet.

I don't know if any writer wants to do multiple crossovers so early I their run, completely ruining the momentum of their story.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't know if any writer wants to do multiple crossovers so early I their run, completely ruining the momentum of their story.
    His story never really had any momentum though, I mean it took him six issues just to tell a basic Amazo story.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    His story never really had any momentum though, I mean it took him six issues just to tell a basic Amazo story.
    And then Batman was stuck in another dimension for another six issues.

READ Batman 139
    spoilers:
    Zur En Arr won.

AFTER the batman goes through jokers tricks as they are fighting. The Legions of Zur En Arrhs take control. Joker wears a white tux similar to DKR.

Every multiverses Batman was just taken over by their Zur En Arrh counterpart. You thought the dark multiverse was bad?

Imagine infinite Batman’s with no bruce Wayne. Shits about to get DARK
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by MAR420X; 11-05-2023 at 03:20 PM.

...What even is this run!?

The core of it is Zdarsky - he deconstructed Daredevil and now he’s doing the same for Batman. Batman is feeling old and on the decline, his need to prep time for every eventuality is biting him in the ass, first with Failsafe, then with Zur. His feeling of having lost his way culminates in his feuding with Catwoman and the Batfamily, to the current point where he’s cutting himself off again. All the while Zur is getting stronger because he’s advocating for just killing all the Rogues, which even without the multiple Zurs riding shotgun, Bruce is feeling susceptible to simply because he’s burnt out on fighting his forever war on crime. Yet he can’t quit or retire because as seen with the Red Mask world, a world without Batman is worse off not better.

There’s some good stuff here, it’s just been marred by a lousy crossover with a writer who is much lower in quality (Tini). Also Ram V is doing a deconstruction of Batman over in his book. Feels like we need another Morrison run of Batman being at his peak since the last three writers - Zdarsky, Tynion, and King - all portrayed a very fallible and broken Batman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The core of it is Zdarsky - he deconstructed Daredevil and now he’s doing the same for Batman. Batman is feeling old and on the decline, his need to prep time for every eventuality is biting him in the ass, first with Failsafe, then with Zur. His feeling of having lost his way culminates in his feuding with Catwoman and the Batfamily, to the current point where he’s cutting himself off again. All the while Zur is getting stronger because he’s advocating for just killing all the Rogues, which even without the multiple Zurs riding shotgun, Bruce is feeling susceptible to simply because he’s burnt out on fighting his forever war on crime. Yet he can’t quit or retire because as seen with the Red Mask world, a world without Batman is worse off not better.

There’s some good stuff here, it’s just been marred by a lousy crossover with a writer who is much lower in quality (Tini). Also Ram V is doing a deconstruction of Batman over in his book. Feels like we need another Morrison run of Batman being at his peak since the last three writers - Zdarsky, Tynion, and King - all portrayed a very fallible and broken Batman.
    I agree with all you are saying here, there is a lot of good that people ignore with this run. I think what Zdarsky has been slowly doing with Zur has been very strong character work and makes sense with everything that has been happening in Bruce's life over the past few years. And without Alfred around, it makes even more sense something like this is going unchecked with Batman.

That said, I do still personally wish Tynion stayed on the book, even if his run wasn't as popular, I actually liked a lot of the ideas he was doing and it felt like he was really pushing the character and gotham city as a whole forward with his run.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 11-05-2023 at 07:21 PM.

I do wonder if Zdarsky is pushing bruce to his limits, to hit the reset button by the end and give Bruce will have the mansion again and alfred is finally back.
    But will anybody still care by then?