Page 15 of 80 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Chip is killing it. Why does Batman get blessed with good books?
    "Cable was right!"

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

I smiled while reading this. Nice.

im glad u guys liked it.

so ive been thinking bout the next back up Batman: Zur-En-Arrh Year One.

a story about Zur En Arrh in Arkham Asylum that's more like Grant's Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

A night where Batman triggered Zur En Arrh to visit all his villains. just a thought.

BANNED

I am short of budget this week. Hearing all the praise is making me crave for this issue.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It's competently done, and the character moments are solid but I still can't escape the feeling of dejavu. We've seen this type of story a number of times now and I just don't think there's anything all that new here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's competently done, and the character moments are solid but I still can't escape the feeling of dejavu. We've seen this type of story a number of times now and I just don't think there's anything all that new here.
    To be fair, given these characters, and comics in general, have existed for decades on decades, there are very rare occassions that something/characters/stories will be (100%) new when introduced or told.

It just seems to be what it is and it's for us to enjoy/appreciate the competence in storytelling and said character moments.

My worry is that the story is going to end up being too long (till December?), with some issues just "treading water" and not moving the story forward.

Still... currently enjoying the heck out of it.

BANNED

I read this issue. It was really great issue. I don't really know how many of you read Wolverine I can totally relate this to Logan back in X Deaths. Such a great dejavu

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah its all competently done and its not bad, but I'm not that excited by it. Its all still rather rote.

I'm kinda just waiting to see what this is all leading to and what Zdarsky has planned for the character beyond this arc.

Also the sheer audacity of Penguin to call fowl on Batman. Like dude you are not a victim, your a privileged ass-wipe obsessed with his own blue blood legacy and a murderous psycho who will sadistically torture anyone for even the most minor reason.

What a hypocrite.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 09-07-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yeah its all competently done and its not bad, but I'm not that excited by it. Its all still rather rote.

I'm kinda just waiting to see what this is all leading to and what Zdarsky has planned for the character beyond this arc.

Also the sheer audacity of Penguin to call fowl on Batman. Like dude you are not a victim, your a privileged ass-wipe obsessed with his own blue blood legacy and a murderous psycho who will sadistically torture anyone for even the most minor reason.

What a hypocrite.
    Is it all that surprising that a villainous character would be a hypocrite.

Incredible Member

So Bruce created a backup personality that created an unstoppable contingency plan for himself, but one that doesn't distinguish between Batman having gone to the deep end and him being framed (even thought that happens every other tuesday, it's not even a very competent frame-up)? Zur-en-arrh didn't get Batman's IQ it seems.
    Last edited by Zagre; 09-08-2022 at 05:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Is it all that surprising that a villainous character would be a hypocrite.
    You'd be surprised how some people are taking what Penguin said at face value, genuinely believing these are Zdarsky's actual beliefs about Batman.

I've had the misfortune of seeing one moron going on a rant about it. It is pathetic and sad how ridiculous people can be.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    So Bruce created a backup personality that created an unstoppable contingency plan for himself, but one that doesn't distinguish between Batman having gone to the deep end and him being framed (even thought that happens every other tuesday, it's not even a very competent frame-up)? Zur-en-arrh didn't get Batman's IQ it seems.
    Surprised Failsafe didn't show up and bully everyone after Endgame.

Also, wasn't Tim Robin when Morrison used Zurr-En-Arrh?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Surprised Failsafe didn't show up and bully everyone after Endgame.

Also, wasn't Tim Robin when Morrison used Zurr-En-Arrh?
    Yes, but he didn't saw Bruce as Zur-En-Arrh. Actually, no one in the family saw him like that.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    You'd be surprised how some people are taking what Penguin said at face value, genuinely believing these are Zdarsky's actual beliefs about Batman.

I've had the misfortune of seeing one moron going on a rant about it. It is pathetic and sad how ridiculous people can be.

I think similar thing happened recently with Seeley's Robins where his new character claimed to be the first Robin. She was obviously lying, but that didn't stop people from claiming that Seeley is rewriting Batman's canon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    To be fair, given these characters, and comics in general, have existed for decades on decades, there are very rare occassions that something/characters/stories will be (100%) new when introduced or told.

It just seems to be what it is and it's for us to enjoy/appreciate the competence in storytelling and said character moments.

My worry is that the story is going to end up being too long (till December?), with some issues just "treading water" and not moving the story forward.

Still... currently enjoying the heck out of it.
    I have to agree. For the first few decades of superhero comics, no one ever thought this would be a medium the exact same people would consume decade after decade. Things like this are bound to happen. For example, on Zdarsky's DD run, there was one complaint that he did an arc with him in prison when there's already been an arc with him in prison. But that was also 16 years ago. Do I think Brubaker did it better? Sure, no argument there. But that also didn't stop me from appreciating Zdarsky's take on it, either.

As for my overall opinion on this month's issue, I enjoyed it way more than I thought I was going to. Honestly, I thought the first two parts were kind of humdrum and I never was a fan of Morrison's run, but this issue gelled damn near perfectly. I love that I can still be surprised reading a Batman comic.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.