Page 78 of 80 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980 LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1188
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    But Harley is trying to make up for the bad she's done by helping people.

I'm still enjoying the book, though I do long for Alfred, and the money, Manor and Cave to b

Yes, Damian is somewhat out of character, but I don't mind him not being written as Bat God Jr.

Have to agree that Damian is definitely out of character . He seems very dumb to realize that it's not his father under there .
    Also Babs & Dick should know better too .
    I didn't understand the point of bringing Superman into the book . I mean with all of Superman's powers he couldn't tell it's not Bruce under there ?
    My one positive take on the issue , is Bruce finally escaping Blackgate and swimming to shore and getting away .
    At least that was some progress .
    I also wonder if when Chip Zdarsky wraps up this big storyline , does he have more stories to tell about Bruce/Batman ? Or will this be it for him ?

I also miss Alfred , although he's been shown in flashbacks . Also miss the Manor , guess that'll be a big showdown between Vandal & Bruce to see how Bruce will get it back .
    Last edited by TheKryptonMan; 04-05-2024 at 12:08 PM.

I'm still enjoying the book, though I do long for Alfred, and the money, Manor and Cave to be back.

Yes, Damian is somewhat out of character, but I don't mind him not being written as Bat God Jr.
    I mean, kind of I guess?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like it needs to be mentioned that a lot of that was them deliberately sabotaging Damian for 5G.
    Fair enough. Just so long as we acknowledge that Damien is hardly the only character to be sabotaged for story purposes (or to prop up another character).

I agree. Which is why it pisses me off to no end that everyone seems to have all their lips on Deadpool's butt since he's doing the exact same thing, but give Harley a hard time about it.

I mean, this is a lot more convincing at least.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-06-2024 at 08:38 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Fair enough. Just so long as we acknowledge that Damien is hardly the only character to be sabotaged for story purposes (or to prop up another character).
    Of course. Just look at plenty of characters in Zdarsky's run .
    I agree. Which is why it pisses me off to no end that everyone seems to have all their lips on Deadpool's butt since he's doing the exact same thing, but give Harley a hard time about it.
    I think both get pretty much the same treatment? Maybe Deadpool gets more of a reasonable reaction in-universe.

I remember during the Gerry Duggan era they were trying to push Wade into more of an outright Superhero role and having people accept him/let him be popular but it crashed and burned.

Extraordinary Member

Of course. Just look at plenty of characters in Zdarsky's run .
    Yeah. Lord knows Tim usually gets the short end of the stick whenever Damien's around.

I think both get pretty much the same treatment?
    I wouldn't say that at all. The internet alone is enough proof to see that for whatever reason Deadpool gets way more slack than Harley.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah. Lord knows Tim usually gets the short end of the stick whenever Damien's around.

I wouldn't say that at all. The internet alone is enough proof to see that for whatever reason Deadpool gets way more slack than Harley.
    Because Deadpool is less obnoxious than Harley.

Its not really that complicated, Deadpool still gets written as actually annoying in-universe so he's largely unpopular and despised for his behavior. Harley meanwhile is glorified for it. Deadpool is allowed to mess up and ruin his relationship with the hero community, saying he does the same stuff as Harley and is praised for it is flatly not true.

Thats why Wade gets less slack than Harley, because Wade is a generally better written character.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 04-06-2024 at 02:12 PM.

Here it's the other way around!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This whole thing is why comparing Deadpool and Harley doesn't really work. A more apt comparison is Deadpool and Lobo because both started as somewhat minor villains but quickly evolved into crazy cartoon parodies.

Harley is more her own beast, but brings more baggage.

Honestly, it took the Conner & Palmiotti run for me to really start liking her in a starring role, and the show is phenomenal.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Many fans of "classic" Harley would likely say that Conner/Palmiotti ruined Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Many fans of "classic" Harley would likely say that Conner/Palmiotti ruined Harley.
    They're effectively two different characters almost inhabiting two different worlds.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Because Deadpool is less obnoxious than Harley.

Its not really that complicated, Deadpool still gets written as actually annoying in-universe so he's largely unpopular and despised for his behavior. Harley meanwhile is glorified for it. Deadpool is allowed to mess up and ruin his relationship with the hero community, saying he does the same stuff as Harley and is praised for it is flatly not true.

Thats why Wade gets less slack than Harley, because Wade is a generally better written character.
    Yeah, we're def gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. I vastly prefer Harley and can't stand Deadpool, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This whole thing is why comparing Deadpool and Harley doesn't really work. A more apt comparison is Deadpool and Lobo because both started as somewhat minor villains but quickly evolved into crazy cartoon parodies.
    Honestly? That's the exact same way I see Harley, but I digress and just leave that one alone.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Honestly, it took the Conner & Palmiotti run for me to really start liking her in a starring role, and the show is phenomenal.
    Conner and Palmiotti can do no wrong, IMHO. We agree on that much at least.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah, we're def gonna have to agree to disagree on that one. I vastly prefer Harley and can't stand Deadpool, personally.

Honestly? That's the exact same way I see Harley, but I digress and just leave that one alone.

Conner and Palmiotti can do no wrong, IMHO. We agree on that much at least.
    I mean prefer whoever you want but its not a question of personal taste.

Its just problems with how the character is written, and this is the problems encircling Harley's character and there is a lot of pushback to her character in recent memory. Granted a good deal of it is probably sexism, but Deadpool has not done anything as controversial as stuff like soloing the Trinity in Heroes in Crisis or spoilers:
    executing Batman
    end of spoilers in the Suicide Squad game.

Deadpool can be annoying, but I think at this point currently Harley is the more overexposed and controversial character of the 2 generating more inflammatory reactions than Wade does.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 04-09-2024 at 03:45 PM.

Out of curiosity, how does Zdarsky's book fit with Williamson's B&R, timeline-wise?
    The whole Zur thing makes it hard to make sense of it

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does Zdarsky's book fit with Williamson's B&R, timeline-wise?
    The whole Zur thing makes it hard to make sense of it
    not sure but I'm supposing Batman and Robin happens after this whole Zur thing otherwise it means that work and progress we seen Williamson put into repairing Bruce and Damian's relationship is instantly erased by Zardasky's story.

That would be asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I mean prefer whoever you want but its not a question of personal taste.

Its just problems with how the character is written, and this is the problems encircling Harley's character and there is a lot of pushback to her character in recent memory. Granted a good deal of it is probably sexism, but Deadpool has not done anything as controversial as stuff like soloing the Trinity in Heroes in Crisis or spoilers:
    executing Batman
    end of spoilers in the Suicide Squad game.

Deadpool can be annoying, but I think at this point currently Harley is the more overexposed and controversial character of the 2 generating more inflammatory reactions than Wade does.
    Well, there was some stuff at the tail end of the Gerry Duggan run...