Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Do they though? It sold pretty well, and I've seen many praise it.
    Everything with Joker's name on it sells well. Tons of popular but widely considered bad art sells well. LIEFELD continues to sell well.

Selling well is not necessarily a sign of quality.

By 'everyone', you just mean internet forums who hate everything.
    We don't hate everything, I personally love a great many things, but the writing in Three Jokers is fucking appalling. And that epilogue ending (the piss icing on a shit cake) was a direct slap in the face of Alan Moore and anyone who has ever enjoyed the Killing Joke.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I don't think it was universally disliked but I didn't see a lot of positive buzz for it by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Do they though? It sold pretty well, and I've seen many praise it. By 'everyone', you just mean internet forums who hate everything.
    Everything with Joker's name on it sells well. Tons of popular but widely considered bad art sells well. LIEFELD continues to sell well.

Selling well is not necessarily a sign of quality.
    Also, please define "sold pretty well".

Does that mean a lot of individual people each bought a copy?

Does it mean there might have been people buying multiple copies to get the variant covers as well?

Does that mean stores ordered a lot of copies, but we have no clue as to how many of those copies were sold?

Hell, I bought the three issues, and while the first issue was intriguing, after that the only thing really good about #2 and #3 was the artwork.

BANNED

Rofl, you lot are proving my point gloriously.

Geoff Johns recent work in general feels like him trying to make rebuttals to Alan Moore's iconic works but he's just fundamentally not as good a writer so it doesn't work. Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers are both awful not just as stories but in their goal of trying to one-up Watchmen and The Killing Joke

I still liked Doomsday Clock at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I still liked Doomsday Clock at least.
    I think as a story, it is serviceable but it's a terrible sequel to Watchmen and even worse when you consider, it was supposed to be a response to many of its themes

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think as a story, it is serviceable but it's a terrible sequel to Watchmen and even worse when you consider, it was supposed to be a response to many of its themes
    I guess it depends on how you view those responses to the themes and ideas of Watchmen. I think conceptually it fits with a DC Universe response to the story and it's themes.

I haven't liked around 95% of what Chip Zdarsky writes. Some of his independent stuff is decent, but his big-two work has fallen short. Haven't read his Daredevil, and I don't intend to read his Batman either.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 06-06-2022 at 10:08 AM.

If you read Three Jokers as comical, with Johns trying to emulate Alan Moore, dumb Batman, the edgy Batgirl, the incel Red Hood and all the revelations in the last few pages...... you might even read it as something mediocre.

I guess it depends on how you view those responses to the themes and ideas of Watchmen. I think conceptually it fits with a DC Universe response to the story and it's themes.
    I mean it completely missed the themes so I'm not even sure how to grade it. Doomsday Clock is basically making strawman argument about Watchmen and then rebutting it while missing the whole point of the original

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I mean it completely missed the themes so I'm not even sure how to grade it. Doomsday Clock is basically making strawman argument about Watchmen and then rebutting it while missing the whole point of the original
    I don't know if it missed the themes so much as viewed them through the lens of a DC comic, so which makes them come off a little differently. I don't think it was a strawman so much as just different sensibilities and ideals mixed together.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I don't know if it missed the themes so much as viewed them through the lens of a DC comic, so which makes them come off a little differently. I don't think it was a strawman so much as just different sensibilities and ideals mixed together.
    I can only really comment on reading the first few and last issues then flipping the rest, but it felt like Johns was trying to ape Watchmen's format without understanding it or adding depth of his own.

Watchmen had 9 panels, I'll do that. Watchmen had supplementary material that feels disconnected but will ultimately parallel and tie in. Done. Real world themes (both grounded and exaggerated) and consequences based on them? Check.

I found nothing new or interesting in what I was seeing.

I will add that I may not have been overly receptive as I don't think Johns has written anything good since Blackest Night (and Tomasi's GLC companion book giving actual character stakes REALLY helped there).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I can only really comment on reading the first few and last issues then flipping the rest, but it felt like Johns was trying to ape Watchmen's format without understanding it or adding depth of his own.

Watchmen had 9 panels, I'll do that. Watchmen had supplementary material that feels disconnected but will ultimately parallel and tie in. Done. Real world themes (both grounded and exaggerated) and consequences based on them? Check.

I found nothing new or interesting in what I was seeing.

I will add that I may not have been overly receptive as I don't think Johns has written anything good since Blackest Night (and Tomasi's GLC companion book giving actual character stakes REALLY helped there).
    Well, I think that was trying to carry on the spirit of the original comic rather than aping its style, but that was just my takeaway from it.

Extraordinary Member

Batman #127 Covers

By Jorge Jimenez

By Inhyuk Lee

By Alex Garner