Page 25 of 80 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

I thought it said in issue 125 that this whole story happens before dark crisis, or I'm remembering it wrong?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Next time Zod tries to invade Earth, just send this robot. He knows things that even Kryptonians don't know about themselves, like having pressure points. LOL

And i really dislike this overused cliche about the Robins. "Dick liked to be in the right, Jason prefer the left. But Tim, he always went in the middle."
    Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. The first time I was willing to let it go because he had traps all over the city and could believe maybe he caught Clark off guard. But this issue he straight up beat Superman in a head to head fight. And easily.

Surprised this issue was written by the same guy writing Daredevil.

They must’ve lied when they said this was before Dark Crisis. Funny Bruce gets through one “death” to immediately be “killed”.

Incredible Member

Not going to lie, given Zur En Arh's involvement and how quickly and abruptly the whole situation escalates I thought this whole thing was going to be revealed as some kind of hallucination that Bruce was having after issue 2/3.

Quote Originally Posted by bat1987 View Post
    I thought it said in issue 125 that this whole story happens before dark crisis, or I'm remembering it wrong?
    Yes, Batman 128 had an editor's note saying the story takes place before Dark Crisis. spoilers:
    So Bruce "died" here, then he "died" again in JL 75 and Lazarus Planet Omega also has a cover with a kinda dead looking Batman with the solicitations talking about Bruce "living on borrowed time"
    Is he going to "die" there too?

Maybe Zdarsky will do some interesting with it, but so far it sounds like a waste of time. If this takes place before Dark Crisis, Batman vs Robin and Lazarus Planet then Bruce will have to be fine and back as Batman soon.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Astralabius; 12-06-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Next time Zod tries to invade Earth, just send this robot. He knows things that even Kryptonians don't know about themselves, like having pressure points. LOL

And i really dislike this overused cliche about the Robins. "Dick liked to be in the right, Jason prefer the left. But Tim, he always went in the middle."
    That was so dumb and funny at the same time. I remembered one time reading a guy say that it was ok Batman won via “prep time” against Superman because it wasn’t done through ass pulls like “he knows Kryptonian pressure points that not even Superman knows” and lo here comes a story that pulls that exact bullshit
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Yes, Batman 128 had an editor's note saying the story takes place before Dark Crisis. So Bruce "died" here, then he "died" again in JL 75 and Lazarus Planet Omega also has a cover with a kinda dead looking Batman with the solicitations talking about Bruce "living on borrowed time"
    Is he going to "die" there too?

Maybe Zdarsky will do some interesting with it, but so far it sounds like a waste of time. If this takes place before Dark Crisis, Batman vs Robin and Lazarus Planet than Bruce will have to be fine and back as Batman soon.
    I think they just added that note without thinking it through in an effort to not spoil Bruce’s return in Datk Crisis. Whatever is happening here will probably lead into next summers bat event and so this will be the status quo for a while. I doubt DC is keeping the main Bat book behind the rest of the line that long. Especially since Nightwing 101 takes place after Dark Crisis

This wasn't the worst Batman comic I've ever read and it was far from the best, but it was definitely some of the weakest stuff I've seen from Zdarsky.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This wasn't the worst Batman comic I've ever read and it was far from the best, but it was definitely some of the weakest stuff I've seen from Zdarsky.
    There are some interesting ideas here:
    -Clark pointing out how idiotic it is for Bruce to go “the JL will stop me if I go bad” if he actually thinks he could take them down restrained by his morals. If he can do that holding back, a Batman who doesn’t care about morals anymore would wipe them all out easily
    -Zur-En-Arh being the one who builds a Failsafe for Batman

Great ideas! But then the Failsafe itself somehow manages to be a more effective foe for the JL than Darkseid has been in ages and it just makes you wonder why the hell doesn’t Bruce just build a fleet of these and use them to take down his entire Rogues Gallery, as well as everyone else’s villains? It’s too much power creep.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There are some interesting ideas here:
    -Clark pointing out how idiotic it is for Bruce to go “the JL will stop me if I go bad” if he actually thinks he could take them down restrained by his morals. If he can do that holding back, a Batman who doesn’t care about morals anymore would wipe them all out easily
    -Zur-En-Arh being the one who builds a Failsafe for Batman

Great ideas! But then the Failsafe itself somehow manages to be a more effective foe for the JL than Darkseid has been in ages and it just makes you wonder why the hell doesn’t Bruce just build a fleet of these and use them to take down his entire Rogues Gallery, as well as everyone else’s villains? It’s too much power creep.
    Yeah, I think the story kind of fell apart when the League showed up and Failsafe took over the city.

And this is Zdarsky's first arc .

Fantastic Member

I think that Failsafe's big problem is that the story had to go bigger and bigger when truthfully, all it really needed to do was stay personal. Perhaps have Failsafe methodolically isolate Bruce and Tim rather than repeatedly bringing in his allies, to use as canon fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it has some good story beats, but some really bad ones too.

I don't get why Batman writers feel the necessity to bring other heroes into their book to shat on them. There is no reason for it. Batman is already the coolest dude around, you don't need to enforce that idea even more by jobbing other heroes. We don't really see this in other book so often. We just had Superman and Batman on the WW book and by the end the three of them were hugging each other.

This issue alone had some downright dumb ideas. I can live with Batman putting his trunks in his mouth to survive falling from the moon. It's the kinda of stupid fun that i think comic book should have. But when you have Superman getting manhandle in two page by a robot made to kill Batman, it's another story.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I gotta agree this is surprisingly awful coming from Zdarsky

Failsafe is just an awful antagonist, but complain about Doomsday but at least that guy is simple and straight-forward

Failsafe is just irritating in its endless hax

Zdarsky said Failsafe is meant to be Batman's Doomsday, right? I think the scenes with Failsafe taking down the JL are meant to parallel the scenes where Doomsday does the same thing.

Of course, that was the Justice League International and the execution here is pretty terrible so it doesn't actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Zdarsky said Failsafe is meant to be Batman's Doomsday, right? I think the scenes with Failsafe taking down the JL are meant to parallel the scenes where Doomsday does the same thing.

Of course, that was the Justice League International and the execution here is pretty terrible so it doesn't actually work.
    That kind of story works better for Superman than Batman in my opinion, because at least Superman doesn't have the track record for having the JL look like chumps as often as Batman does and he's, well, Superman.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Batman being able to survive reentry to Earth's atmosphere seemed a bit much to me here. I could buy it if it were done in Waid's World's Finest with its Saturday Morning Cartoon tone but when you're going for gritty that level of unreality clashes badly.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!