Page 35 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Knightmares went on wayyyy too long.
    Knightmares was the BEST and was exactly as long as it should be. Only real problem was the first issue was pretty bad, and the Flash crossover in the middle was terribly timed and not very good.

As for the current Batman run, my biggest worry is that it's going to be a shallow "deconstruction" of Batman like Si Spurrier's Worlds Without A Justice League: Batman, only longer. But I have more trust in Zdarsky than Spurrier, so I think it'll probably be better.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Knightmares was the BEST and was exactly as long as it should be. Only real problem was the first issue was pretty bad, and the Flash crossover in the middle was terribly timed and not very good.

As for the current Batman run, my biggest worry is that it's going to be a shallow "deconstruction" of Batman like Si Spurrier's Worlds Without A Justice League: Batman, only longer. But I have more trust in Zdarsky than Spurrier, so I think it'll probably be better.
    I mean, I get what it was going for, I just don't think it was near as effective as it could have been and did not need the amount of issues to get to the point, but to each their own.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I also loved Knightmares.

I think it gets such a bad rap as so many had turned on the run because they didn't get the wedding, and used its non-traditional nature against the writer. That or they'd so disengaged they didn't give it a proper chance.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

I think it gets such a bad rap as so many had turned on the run because they didn't get the wedding, and used its non-traditional nature against the writer. That or they'd so disengaged they didn't give it a proper chance.
    To me it just dragged on and I don't think the point it was trying to make needed so many issues to convey.

Astonishing Member

Finally got a chance to read this. I love this run so far. I think it's my favorite run since Morrison's.

Looking forward to more monthly issues!

Detective Comics, Catwoman & Main Batman books tie in story soon......

Astonishing Member

I love how Zdarsky combined Morrison's Batgod with the human Batman from something like TAS.

He isn't the first to do it, but I think he did it better than anyone else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post

I think it gets such a bad rap as so many had turned on the run because they didn't get the wedding, and used its non-traditional nature against the writer.
    Yeah, most anything left-of-center of traditional writing gets most comic readers looking at it sideways. And although I'm indifferent about the marriage, fans seem obsessed with marrying off superheroes.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Batman #132 Preview (Unlettered) + Interview
    Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Artist: Mike Hawthorne
    Backup Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Backup Artist: Miguel Mendonca

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

"Why a Gotham that needs a Batman is Bruce's ideal Gotham"

The issue with this theme is that it runs on the idea that Gotham is improving so Bruce begins feeling out of place and unnecessary

But Gotham is constantly written as crime-rampant and full of super-villains as it always is so the idea that its somehow improving in a way that Bruce feels he isn't needed is some kind of fallacy there

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah, most anything left-of-center of traditional writing gets most comic readers looking at it sideways. And although I'm indifferent about the marriage, fans seem obsessed with marrying off superheroes.
    Execution is important too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman #132 Preview (Unlettered) + Interview
    Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Artist: Mike Hawthorne
    Backup Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Backup Artist: Miguel Mendonca

I guess the AU versions of the main cast and the new characters, and Batman operating in a "Gotham without a Batman" could carry some interesting stories but I wonder how long Zdarsky plans to stick Bruce in there.

I don't know if this version of Selina (?) is Catwoman but she just can't help herself with whips.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Execution is important too.
    I agree, but fans also tend to have issues with new ways of telling a story. Although I think it can go without saying that I am far less of a traditionalist than you are. lol

No disrespect intended, btw
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I agree, but fans also tend to have issues with new ways of telling a story. Although I think it can go without saying that I am far less of a traditionalist than you are. lol

No disrespect intended, btw
    None taken .

I don't think of myself as a traditionalist, I just take things how I feel .

Extraordinary Member

Think I agree with Frontier re: Knightmares, some solid issues in the arc but did feel like it went on too long.

Word Balloon: Chip Zdarsky Talks Public Domain Batman Daredevil and More for 2023

Took me a moment to realize that the woman Bruce is fighting in the Batman 132 preview is implied to be this universe's Punchline, the X-O earrings being the only visual hint. it'll be interesting to see who else will show up later down the line.

I think Red Mask will turn out to be Hugo Strange.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.