Page 65 of 80 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In this instance people seem genuinely tired of all the repetitiveness.
    Sadly, it's the few of us on here who feel that way. The general public and, it seems, comics fans in general, just want more of him.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Sadly, it's the few of us on here who feel that way. The general public and, it seems, comics fans in general, just want more of him.
    He's no more over-exposed than Venom or Carnage at this point. It would be nice to have a break from him in Batman though. I do enjoy the Joker title myself.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    He's no more over-exposed than Venom or Carnage at this point. It would be nice to have a break from him in Batman though. I do enjoy the Joker title myself.
    The current Venom stuff is a lot better than Zdarsky's use of Joker.

Exactly!

I believe Marvel released more symbiote-based books last year than any other year in their history. The market is there regardless of what our little corner of the internet may or may not believe to be over-pushed.

I'm not on board with the Joker solos as I don't really like what I've read of them. But I tried them all. Puzzlebox gave me a really fun Killer Moth vs Man-Bat issue! Joker: Killer Smile is one of my favourite Bat-books from the year it released.

In your opinion. That's kind of the crux of it. From Marvel/DC's perspective, whatever is selling best is best and Joker keeps selling, so your (or my) opinion is meaningless. Especially if you're buying the book regardless.

The argument, where we are today, is like the 90's when people complained about Venom soloing books (which were fucking dreadful, btw! I love them but they're so bad!). Or Harley Quinn a few years ago. Joker is a proven draw that people want put back in the box of the past.

I got a Penguin ongoing almost certainly green-lit because Joker is proving that villain books can sell. Ivy has a book because of Harley. There are positive knock-ons, too.
    Last edited by exile001; 01-05-2024 at 08:27 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Exactly!

I believe Marvel released more symbiote-based books last year than any other year in their history. The market is there regardless of what our little corner of the internet may or may not believe to be over-pushed.

I'm not on board with the Joker solos as I don't really like what I've read of them. But I tried them all. Puzzlebox gave me a really fun Killer Moth vs Man-Bat issue! Joker: Killer Smile is one of my favourite Bat-books from the year it released.

In your opinion. That's kind of the crux of it. From Marvel/DC's perspective, whatever is selling best is best and Joker keeps selling, so your (or my) opinion is meaningless. Especially if you're buying the book regardless.

The argument, where we are today, is like the 90's when people complained about Venom books (which were fucking dreadful!). Or Harley Quinn a few years ago. Joker is a proven draw that people want put back in the box of the past.
    My problem personally isn't with Joker at all, just that the stories with him (especially in the main book) just feel like the same story told with worse and worse execution.

But that also sums up my feeling about Zdarsky's run in general.

My problem personally isn't with Joker at all, just that the stories with him (especially in the main book) just feel like the same story told with worse and worse execution.
    Joker has definitely been limited over the years. I liked Snyder's take and LOVED King's but Tynion's felt so... basic. Like he'd just distilled the concept into a formula without any real flair of his own. The 00's were really bad for this, too. Remember when he kind of had cosmic awareness/knew he was in a comic 'cos he was so crazy? Ugh.

But that also sums up my feeling about Zdarsky's run in general.
    I can't speak to that, as I quit when I heard used his cape to glide down from space. He was on thin ice with the murder-bot but I checked the issue to see if there was anything to save it but nope, Batman can glide from space now, apparently. That's not a Batman I have any interest in reading.
    Last edited by exile001; 01-05-2024 at 08:35 AM.

Joker has definitely been limited over the years. I liked Snyder's take and LOVED King's but Tynion's felt so... basic. Like he'd just distilled the concept into a formula without any real flair of his own. The 00's were really bad for this, too. Remember when he kind of had cosmic awareness/knew he was in a comic 'cos he was so crazy? Ugh.
    Snyder I could see where he was going with it even if I feel like he's partially at fault for trying to make Joker stories feel like constant events and drag him so far from being a clown criminal that writers are still trying to walk back from that a little...King I think was okay but that pre-wedding issue just kind of soured me, but that was more how he wrote Bruce and Selina than Joker.

Bolded's basically Harley now .
    I can't speak to that, as I quit when I heard used his cape to glide down from space. He was on thin ice with the murder-bot but I checked the issue to see if there was anything to save it but nope, Batman can glide from space now, apparently. That's not a Batman I have any interest in reading.
    Hey, at least you missed Gotham War .

I did a kind of read-a-long but instead of the actual issues just followed the thread here once it started getting massive. I was like, "this is either really good or really bad." It amazes me that it sounds so spectacularly awful and was only like 6 issues or something! Lol.

Snyder I could see where he was going with it even if I feel like he's partially at fault for trying to make Joker stories feel like constant events and drag him so far from being a clown criminal that writers are still trying to walk back from that a little...King I think was okay but that pre-wedding issue just kind of soured me, but that was more how he wrote Bruce and Selina than Joker.

Bolded's basically Harley now .

One thing I wish they would walk back is Joker knowing the indentity. It was better when he didn't and just felt Batman was the real person.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

One thing I wish they would walk back is Joker knowing the indentity. It was better when he didn't and just felt Batman was the real person.
    I don't know, it's been pretty consistently depicted for at least since 2007 that the Joker knew who Batman was as he remarked in The Clown at Midnight, "Why be a disfigured outcast when I can be a notorious Crime God? Why be an orphaned boy when you can be a superhero?" It's just that he shouldn't care who Bruce is that's the problem, which was why the whole attacking his past mentor thing here felt off.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Yeah, Batman being Bruce Wayne should not matter at all to Joker. All he cares about is Batman.

Both Venom and Carnage have been good. Though this Venom run has had some good and bad. The first Carnage series from last year was really good, the one that just restarted 2 months ago is not bad, but I still do not understand why start another volume. These reboots to get #1's is annoying.

If DC could have some self control and hold back Joker from any comic books for about 2-3 years, they can bring him back with a bang.

Amazing Member

The only Sane Zur in all of this seems to be only Beyond Bruce and maybe if he ever shows up, White Knight since DKR seems to have trashed Carrie Kelley as his legacy and made his own failsafe.
    And Old Bruce told everyone there he trusts Terry as his legacy.

Kinda spitting in the eye of all other Zur there and everyone scorning him for it.
    Last edited by Bitterman; 01-05-2024 at 08:54 PM.

just read it..

your essential reading

Exactly!

I've enjoyed the "fake" Joker story in the current series.