Page 60 of 80 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Gotta get those origin stories in trade for when The Batman II arrives in 2025.
    I guess also when you do a characters' solo (or solo adjacent) you feel the need to do your own take on the origin like how Snyder had to have his own version of Year One.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Speaks about the stagnancy and repetitiveness of superhero comics that they are still doing origin stories of mainstream villains 60 years after they appeared.

Not only are there no new villains but also no new stories involving old villains.
    There are new villains, they just haven't been that popular (outside maybe Punchline. Does Ghost-Maker count?).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess also when you do a characters' solo (or solo adjacent) you feel the need to do your own take on the origin like how Snyder had to have his own version of Year One.
    Well, in all fairness, this was during the New52 when much of the past was no longer what it use to be . . . even sometimes for Batman.

There are new villains, they just haven't been that popular (outside maybe Punchline. Does Ghost-Maker count?).
    Tynion tried that too with so many new heroes and villains, none of them besides Punchline and Ghost-Maker have amounted to anything. Clown hunter seemed cool too but has gone on wasted.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Personally, I don't want new heroes or villains, Gotham City is bloated with them already. I'd rather writers move out of their comfort zone and explore more underused villains and go for smaller-scale stories instead of keep trying and failing to be the next Miller or Moore. Stop with the "status-quo changing stories" and with bringing Joker or Bane, or Scarecrow over and over and just give me some nice stories about Bruce being a hero and foiling a bank robbery or an attempt to poison the city instead of tearing him down for the nth time and redefine why the Joker is the Joker or whatever.

Talking about Zero Year? Oh are you not aware of the BTS drama for that? Snyder actually did not want to change the origin, DC editorial did. Snyder fought to keep Year One but editorial pointed out that there are things in Year One like Miller leaving out Babs or Catwoman’s backstory that don’t connect with what the Bat-Mythos has become. So they wanted a new origin that established that yes Babs is Gordon’s daughter not his niece (or his secret daughter that he cucked his brother to make like they implied at one point in Post Crisis lol). They gave Snyder an ultimatum, either you write the origin or we’re going to have someone else do it, and he folded.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Talking about Zero Year? Oh are you not aware of the BTS drama for that? Snyder actually did not want to change the origin, DC editorial did. Snyder fought to keep Year One but editorial pointed out that there are things in Year One like Miller leaving out Babs or Catwoman’s backstory that don’t connect with what the Bat-Mythos has become. So they wanted a new origin that established that yes Babs is Gordon’s daughter not his niece (or his secret daughter that he cucked his brother to make like they implied at one point in Post Crisis lol). They gave Snyder an ultimatum, either you write the origin or we’re going to have someone else do it, and he folded.
    Still doesn't explain why the story in Batman #0 (from 2012) didn't fit in with "Zero Year" when that began a year later . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Personally, I don't want new heroes or villains, Gotham City is bloated with them already. I'd rather writers move out of their comfort zone and explore more underused villains and go for smaller-scale stories instead of keep trying and failing to be the next Miller or Moore. Stop with the "status-quo changing stories" and with bringing Joker or Bane, or Scarecrow over and over and just give me some nice stories about Bruce being a hero and foiling a bank robbery or an attempt to poison the city instead of tearing him down for the nth time and redefine why the Joker is the Joker or whatever.
    The Batfamily is at peak capacity enough as is.
    This does not surprise me.

Mighty Member

When do you think Tim will return to the book?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Lets not do that here. There's already a thread for that

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...is-place-in-DC

Got to read the mindbomb conclusion this weekend the last page leads directly into joker year one. I was satisfied with the ending but it was very unexpected what happens in issue 141.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAR420X View Post
    Got to read the mindbomb conclusion this weekend the last page leads directly into joker year one. I was satisfied with the ending but it was very unexpected what happens in issue 141.

Well I'll take your word for it , that the ending is good .
    I honestly can't agree that a Year One for Joker is needed . But I'll still pick it up seeing that it's part of the main Batman book .
    But really I have Joker Fatigue and would prefer seeing Batman tackle his other villains or some possible new ones .

Quote Originally Posted by captainzombie View Post
    Tynion tried that too with so many new heroes and villains, none of them besides Punchline and Ghost-Maker have amounted to anything. Clown hunter seemed cool too but has gone on wasted.
    This is actually what I like about Tynion's run. Even though he did another villian takes over the series story he at least was not afraid to advance not only Batman and Gotham City further in the future than many previous runs but he was not afraid to create. Punchline, Underbroker, Ghost Maker, Miracle Molly, Sherlock Holmes and Watson, etc. He just went in and I love it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Actually I would be happy to see Tim guest star in Batman . Show up now and then as Robin . Why can't we have 2 Robins ?

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    This is actually what I like about Tynion's run. Even though he did another villian takes over the series story he at least was not afraid to advance not only Batman and Gotham City further in the future than many previous runs but he was not afraid to create. Punchline, Underbroker, Ghost Maker, Miracle Molly, Sherlock Holmes and Watson, etc. He just went in and I love it.
    Tynion definitely had a lot of ideas, I think the issue is he didn't always have the time to properly execute them or think through executing them.

Which might be why pretty much none of those characters have appeared outside Punchline and Ghost-Maker having their own series.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Tynion was just trying to secure a lifelong paycheck from making any of his OCs stick but for the most part, they were pretty poorly thought out and derivative that only hogged the spotlight to the detriment of underused characters already established. His run was also heavy in nostalgia and what ended up derailing completely Tim as a character by regressing him to Batman's sidekick instead of letting him find his footing elsewhere.