Page 72 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1188
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't care for them being overt with Joker interacting with Bruce Wayne.

Actually, I don't even think Joker would be a fan of Zur. A big part of his dynamic with Batman is trying to break him and drive him nuts, a Batman that's already past that point wouldn't be interesting.
    Hell Zur is just Batman but even more Batman. Sure he's a worse version of all his negative qualities but Zur is being an even colder Batman.

Its basically a lot of a Zur wanking to explain why Joker would be impressed with such a simplistic personality.

Astonishing Member

And Gotham is taken over again. How original.
    I hope that Damian is pretending that he believes Zur, so he can save Bruce, otherwise, well, it's incredibly stupid.

I don't care for them being overt with Joker interacting with Bruce Wayne.

Actually, I don't even think Joker would be a fan of Zur. A big part of his dynamic with Batman is trying to break him and drive him nuts, a Batman that's already past that point wouldn't be interesting.
    He’s not “nuts” he’s not more Batman without the weaknesses. I can see the appeal for Joker.

And man this run continues to get better and better. I love Zur in Failsafe because you literally have Bruce creating his own replacement, making himself obsolete and even ready to consider stepping down. Cause why wouldn’t he? It’s not like this is Lex Luther or something. It’s him, doing what he’s always done. Without anything to hold him back. And I love that Captio didn’t die but just hanging around cause he wants to watch this play out.

Nothing good ever happens to Jason in a Chip Zdarsky comic.

How many times is the Batfamily going to get caught up in this Zur/Failsafe nonsense? That they're even having to debate whether it's the real Bruce or not...

Oh, I guess this is damaging Batman's reputation in Gotham for the umpteenth time.

Look, an evil Batman or Batman-like figure is basically taking over the city and enforcing harsher justice. Where have I seen that before? Multiple times?

Oh hey, Mayor Nakano. Acting like he ever gave Batman a leash when he's been yelling "MASKS!!!" and trying to take him down almost immediately since he came to office. Remember the Peacekeepers? And suddenly Montoya is trying to support Batman. I guess this might be another sign she'll lose her job soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    He’s not “nuts” he’s not more Batman without the weaknesses. I can see the appeal for Joker.

And man this run continues to get better and better. I love Zur in Failsafe because you literally have Bruce creating his own replacement, making himself obsolete and even ready to consider stepping down. Cause why wouldn’t he? It’s not like this is Lex Luther or something. It’s him, doing what he’s always done. Without anything to hold him back. And I love that Captio didn’t die but just hanging around cause he wants to watch this play out.
    I feel like a Batman without weakness would grow boring for him eventually.

How many times is the Batfamily going to get caught up in this Zur/Failsafe nonsense? That they're even having to debate whether it's the real Bruce or not...

Oh, I guess this is damaging Batman's reputation in Gotham for the umpteenth time.

Look, an evil Batman or Batman-like figure is basically taking over the city and enforcing harsher justice. Where have I seen that before? Multiple times?

Oh hey, Mayor Nakano. Acting like he ever gave Batman a leash when he's been yelling "MASKS!!!" and trying to take him down almost immediately since he came to office. Remember the Peacekeepers? And suddenly Montoya is trying to support Batman. I guess this might be another sign she'll lose her job soon.

I feel we're overstating the "Gotham City gets taken over" trope again. This isn't Joker War/Scarecrow War/Bane War. Its someone taking Bruce's place. You could make the argument it was more similar when Failsafe did this, but he didn't do that here. And even the "harsher" version of Batman thing. So far only thing this one did definitely was announce his presence and have his own prison. IMO this works better cause you have some people generally confused on whether this is Bruce or not. From the perspective of the family he's been going further and further off the deep end so is it ridiculous to think he would go all the way and upload himself into Failsafe? I don't think its all that crazy.

Another thing I thing works differently is that I think Zur actually has a fair point. Why wouldn't Bruce stand down and allow "himself" to do this? Why put the strain on himself? Why continue to push the people around him away? Zur isn't killing anyone, he's ruthlessly effective, etc. Other than "because he's Batman" why fight this? I find interesting.

The Major/Montoya thing was weird though. Was never any love lost from Nakano, although I think he learned to chill after the Peacekeeper failures.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I feel we're overstating the "Gotham City gets taken over" trope again. This isn't Joker War/Scarecrow War/Bane War. Its someone taking Bruce's place. You could make the argument it was more similar when Failsafe did this, but he didn't do that here. And even the "harsher" version of Batman thing. So far only thing this one did definitely was announce his presence and have his own prison. IMO this works better cause you have some people generally confused on whether this is Bruce or not. From the perspective of the family he's been going further and further off the deep end so is it ridiculous to think he would go all the way and upload himself into Failsafe? I don't think its all that crazy.

Another thing I thing works differently is that I think Zur actually has a fair point. Why wouldn't Bruce stand down and allow "himself" to do this? Why put the strain on himself? Why continue to push the people around him away? Zur isn't killing anyone, he's ruthlessly effective, etc. Other than "because he's Batman" why fight this? I find interesting.

The Major/Montoya thing was weird though. Was never any love lost from Nakano, although I think he learned to chill after the Peacekeeper failures.
    I mean, it's pretty likely going to get to that same level as it escalates, and we've also seen Batman get replaced by a more brutal and "efficient" version of himself just as much as the city has been taken over.

Coming off of Gotham War it's just not a good look for the Batfamily in my opinion. Zdarsky's handling of them in general has probably been one of the weakest aspects of his run.

I feel like there's enough red flags as to why Bruce would not allow this.

I think he was too busy trying to make Arkham Tower work (ha!) to be chill. His entire character is basically not being chill .

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't know, it seems more character driven than any of the other "anti-batman takes over Gotham" events of the past which is a plus. Could it go over board and become a dull, over blown "war"? It certainly could, and I have no interest in more pushing the family away nonsense, but for now it was an interesting enough read and I loved the visuals of the Failsafe-Zur Batman.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know, it seems more character driven than any of the other "anti-batman takes over Gotham" events of the past which is a plus. Could it go over board and become a dull, over blown "war"? It certainly could, and I have no interest in more pushing the family away nonsense, but for now it was an interesting enough read and I loved the visuals of the Failsafe-Zur Batman.
    To me it comes off too forced and convoluted to feel genuinely character-driven. It's already gone past the point of being overboard.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I just do not find jive with Zur.

I find the whole "Evil Batman" archetype at this point inherently dull no matter how its done.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 03-05-2024 at 11:06 PM.

Where is Tim in all this chumppery and stupidly? Chip's golden boy isn't part of the fam being made a fool of.

Amazing Member

Ever since Scott Snyder created TBWL, evil unstoppable Batman has been an on going thing. Some may disagree with me, but I feel that he single handily created Batgod in the comicbooks. He wrote Endgame, the final Bat suit, and all the Dark multiverse Shenanigans, which lead Chip to writing about Failsafe. And because DC saw the success of TBWL, it isn’t going to end anytime soon. Scott has been trying to warp everything around Batman for a long time by downplaying the League and was finally able to do so when DC gave him the reigns to a crisis event.

I liked the issue overall but I don't think I really care about Captio.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Where is Tim in all this chumppery and stupidly? Chip's golden boy isn't part of the fam being made a fool of.
    He'll come back and be all "STATISTICS!!!" To show how Zur is better at fighting crime than Batman.

So is this Daniel Captio supposed to be a villain? I'm getting a strong Hugo Strange vibe from him.

I'm having difficulty getting excited about what's going on, mainly because I'm burnt out on the whole "Batman dark mirror bad guy", trope. Only part that piques my interest is Batman's inevitable feud with Vandal Savage.

Incredible Member

I think that Zdarsky is writing the evil Batman that he probably has always wanted to write .
    The only thing is that Editorial would not be ok with him writing the real Bruce Wayne that way , so he comes up with other options .
    I noticed the last few books don't have the legacy number anymore , I wonder why ?