Page 26 of 80 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That kind of story works better for Superman than Batman in my opinion, because at least Superman doesn't have the track record for having the JL look like chumps as often as Batman does and he's, well, Superman.
    I'd also say Doomsday taking down the Justice League is far more believable than Failsafe doing it, for obvious reasons.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Next time Zod tries to invade Earth, just send this robot. He knows things that even Kryptonians don't know about themselves, like having pressure points. LOL

And i really dislike this overused cliche about the Robins. "Dick liked to be in the right, Jason prefer the left. But Tim, he always went in the middle."
    Given that Clark explicitly has already used pressure points on a Kryptonian... this is just terrible writing to Bat-wank.

What Batman writer's addiction to always having the dc universe job out to make batman look cool (and yet he still looks goofy as hell to force in the artificial threat)? it doesn't make the threat look intimidating nor does it make batman look cool anymore all it does is show the blatant favoritism & unoriginality modern batman stories have been on loop since new 52

it not even frustrating just boring by now

That was great, reminiscent of Morrison's prepared Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    And i really dislike this overused cliche about the Robins. "Dick liked to be in the right, Jason prefer the left. But Tim, he always went in the middle."
    It's all writers can seemingly think of when writing Tim in recent years. Putting other characters down to tell us how great he is in comparison.

Even in a situation when having a partner who doesn't just follow everything you tell him, who is more of a wild card, would probably have been better, considering that Failsafe's whole thing is to know Bruce so well that he can anticipate everything that Bruce is going to do. Which means Tim is probably pretty easy to predict too since he's just doing exactly what Bruce wants him to do.

This arc sounds like a parody.

If I understand correctly, Batman subconsciously built a robot that has taken over Gotham and defeated pretty much the entire superhero population?
    We are at a point now where Bruce can beat every other hero in his sleep essentially.

Now he's surviving the vacuum of space and re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.

I'm feel like we're waiting for a punchline.

Yeah, I didn't care for this.

I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

The root of the problem I have with this storyline is Failsafe. IMO, he's way too powerful to work as a reoccuring villain to Batman and I get that's supposed to be the point as Zdarsky referred to Failsafe as "Batman's Doomsday", but I don't see how something like that works long term because a concept like that is more compatibile for Superman than Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Yeah, I didn't care for this.

I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

The root of the problem I have with this storyline is Failsafe. IMO, he's way too powerful to work as a reoccuring villain to Batman and I get that's supposed to be the point as Zdarsky referred to Failsafe as "Batman's Doomsday", but I don't see how something like that works long term because a concept like that is more compatibile for Superman than Batman.
    What makes you think they'll use Failsafe after this?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingStation View Post
    I think that Failsafe's big problem is that the story had to go bigger and bigger when truthfully, all it really needed to do was stay personal. Perhaps have Failsafe methodolically isolate Bruce and Tim rather than repeatedly bringing in his allies, to use as canon fodder.
    Was honestly expecting something more personal like D.A.V.E. from The Batman cartoon. I'm having fun but I'm not a regular Batman reader.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

I mean, I sorta get the point the story is trying to make. Failsafe is this amalgamation of Bruce's mistakes and flaws and the jobbing of the JL is basically about Bruce not being able to weasel himself out of the situation for once (even though he kinda does) even with the help of his family/friends.

But everything is so literal and over-the-top if feels... weird.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    This arc sounds like a parody.

If I understand correctly, Batman subconsciously built a robot that has taken over Gotham and defeated pretty much the entire superhero population?
    We are at a point now where Bruce can beat every other hero in his sleep essentially.

Now he's surviving the vacuum of space and re-entry into Earth's atmosphere.

I'm feel like we're waiting for a punchline.
    Yes - surely, surely there's some twist coming? Batman's continued intrusive thoughts about his death, the parodic excess/nightmare logic of the action, the way Zur En Ah is kept as an active concern/figure of delusion in the back-ups but hasn't been a cameo really in the main title...

There *has* to be a justifying twist on its way, right?

(Didn't much care for one or the more triumphant "Batman And Robin" dynamic duo moments in recent years ending in apparent failure either.)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What makes you think they'll use Failsafe after this?
    Considering Doomsday is still being used after his high point in killing Superman, what makes you think they wouldn't reuse a villain modeled after him?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I mean, I sorta get the point the story is trying to make. Failsafe is this amalgamation of Bruce's mistakes and flaws and the jobbing of the JL is basically about Bruce not being able to weasel himself out of the situation for once (even though he kinda does) even with the help of his family/friends.

But everything is so literal and over-the-top if feels... weird.
    What gets me is that those critiques are already exhausting. I don't want to see anymore excessive focus on how horrible Batman is or the JL jobbing to him.

It runs into the whole issue of "I'm critiquing this trope by playing it as straight as possible". Like regardless if your being self-referential or not, your still doing the thing your pointing out.

Considering Doomsday is still being used after his high point in killing Superman, what makes you think they wouldn't reuse a villain modeled after him?
    Well it depends on how well-received the story and character is after this I guess. At the very least Doomsday's at the time blank slate-ness meant you could at least explore his origins, while here we already know everything Failsafe is and comes from.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 12-07-2022 at 11:43 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Yes - surely, surely there's some twist coming? Batman's continued intrusive thoughts about his death, the parodic excess/nightmare logic of the action, the way Zur En Ah is kept as an active concern/figure of delusion in the back-ups but hasn't been a cameo really in the main title...

There *has* to be a justifying twist on its way, right?

(Didn't much care for one or the more triumphant "Batman And Robin" dynamic duo moments in recent years ending in apparent failure either.)
    Last page shows Batman in a Zur-En-Ar suit in an alley, right? Is this all in his head?

This story is nowhere near as high-profile or iconic as the Death of Superman.