Page 32 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Dang, often is Bruce gonna “die”. It was original when Morrison did it but then Snyder, Dark Crisis and now immediately after we get this. This just seems like a blatant rehash of Morrison except for instead of getting sent through time it’s alternate reality. Wonder how long Zdarsky is gonna keep him there. As an alternate earth, some of its characters seem cool, but not enough to carry the solo for long.

This run really makes me feel like Morrisons run was the culmination of the characters history and nothing will ever feel “great” on the main Batbook for me again. I’ve been waiting a decade and still nothings wowed since the New 52. I had hoped Zdarsky might do it but it looks like it’s another “meh” run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    His DD feels more like a fresh spin cover song compared to this.
    Zdarsky's run feels like the Brubaker/Bendis era but it's less of a one to one comparison than this take. Which leans into the Morrison references heavily. I feel like Ram V did it better over in Detective comics. Atleast the Orghams are more interesting than Failsafe.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-03-2023 at 11:54 AM.

Another excellent issue, this is one of the best DC comics currently, alongside AC and Flash.
    Chip is the guy I'd like to see write all my favorites (lucky for me, he's in Batman and Daradevil).

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Another excellent issue, this is one of the best DC comics currently, alongside AC and Flash.
    Chip is the guy I'd like to see write all my favorites (lucky for me, he's in Batman and Daradevil).
    The characterization(outside of confusing Jon Kent for Conner Kent) and dialogue are great so it's well worth reading...but yet another story where Bruce is thought to be dead only for the reader to see he's just time/dimensionally displaced/lost is a bit too old hat for me to call it excellent. Not only have we had this story of Bruce lost and having to battle back home before(in Grant Morrison's run and then again in Snyder's) but we've had it twice in just the last two years(first with Future State and more recently with Dark Crisis) so it just feels flat to me.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-03-2023 at 02:05 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Man Bruce has been dealing with a lot of successive police state threats recently

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Since when Jon even knows Tim? Why they're acting like they know each other for a long time?
    I mean, it's weird, that he came to Tim, and not to Damian or Dick.
    Jon has meet Tim. I believe they met in Percy's TT. The arc where batTim tries to kill Jon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Zdarsky's run feels like the Brubaker/Bendis era but it's less of a one to one comparison than this take. Which leans into the Morrison references heavily. I feel like Ram V did it better over in Detective comics. Atleast the Orghams are more interesting than Failsafe.
    I thought this issue was far more interesting than Failsafe. I have a feeling this book is heading into the same direction as Zdarsky's Daredevil. With Failsafe being as boring as Fisk was before DD leading the Hand. And it's not something new btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I thought this issue was far more interesting than Failsafe. I have a feeling this book is heading into the same direction as Zdarsky's Daredevil. With Failsafe being as boring as Fisk was before DD leading the Hand. And it's not something new btw.
    I wonder if Failsafe will hook up with Harley Quinn ala Typhoid Mary ?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Jon has meet Tim. I believe they met in Percy's TT. The arc where batTim tries to kill Jon.
    I don't think present day Tim ever showed up in that storyline so it would've been the future Titans from Geoff Johns Titans.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I thought his Bullseye was more boring than Fisk. But DD is rebuilding the Chaste more than leading the Hand again. So that's more of a spin than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if Failsafe will hook up with Harley Quinn ala Typhoid Mary ?
    I rather a more tech based villian than her.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop;6320367[B
    ]I thought this issue was far more interesting than Failsafe.[/B] I have a feeling this book is heading into the same direction as Zdarsky's Daredevil. With Failsafe being as boring as Fisk was before DD leading the Hand. And it's not something new btw.
    Agree, for me this was the strongest issue of Zdarsky's run so far, while I agree that Batman's 'death' have been overdone I looking forward to see a more stripped down version of Batman in this AU.

Uff, I feel like we had a lot of stripped down Batman in recent years. Often together with Batman being thought to be dead.
    The last part of King's Batman run. Joker War. Future State. Batman vs Robin. A stripped down Batman is still Batman and will pull something out of his ass to win eventually.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/in...2-best-writer/
    How difficult is it to find an original story in Gotham City, the most written about setting in comics?

CZ: I think a lot of it is just figuring out new twists and deviations on stories that came before. I like when readers think they know where I’m going and then don’t, like I can play with previous stories and then not do what’s expected (hopefully!). Like, Batman has previously been up against unstoppable foes, but what if he only wins by losing? Or, at the end of an issue we had Gotham taken over by Failsafe, taunting Batman to come take it back. That’s been done before, so what if Batman doesn’t go back? What if he goes to the moon instead? What if the big fight isn’t in Gotham, but a quieter desolate fight with his son in the Arctic?

I had a similar thing with “Daredevil,” where the main thrust of my story was to break him down again, but how could I do it differently? How could I weave his story with Fisk’s in a way that wasn’t like what came before? And have them in different places on the other end of that?

It’s fun! I like the challenge!
    Called it from the start so I’m not bothered by this but if you find Zdarsky recycling old plots off putting, you might as well jump off.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    http://www.multiversitycomics.com/in...2-best-writer/

Called it from the start so I’m not bothered by this but if you find Zdarsky recycling old plots off putting, you might as well jump off.
    I don't mind recycling old plots...it's that he's recycling plots we just saw in the last two years.

If he was riffing on stories from the 60's, 70's or 80's and using them to say something new that'd be one thing but we literally saw villain defeats Batman and takes over Gotham in City of Bane three years ago so it's still fresh in the readers mind and other than taking the end fight to the moon and the arctic what did his spin on that say that was different than before?

Same thing with Batman being thought dead but is secretly just lost and he has to rebuild himself and fight his way back, we got that with Morrison, then we saw a variation of that in Future State just two years ago and just four months ago in Dark Crisis we saw it again and seeing as he didn't say anything earth shattering with the play on desperado beats the sheriff and takes over the town why should readers think it will be different with Batman lost and fighting his way back home?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't mind recycling old plots...it's that he's recycling plots we just saw in the last two years.

If he was riffing on stories from the 60's, 70's or 80's and using them to say something new that'd be one thing but we literally saw villain defeats Batman and takes over Gotham in City of Bane three years ago so it's still fresh in the readers mind and other than taking the end fight to the moon and the arctic what did his spin on that say that was different than before?

Same thing with Batman being thought dead but is secretly just lost and he has to rebuild himself and fight his way back, we got that with Morrison, then we saw a variation of that in Future State just two years ago and just four months ago in Dark Crisis we saw it again and seeing as he didn't say anything earth shattering with the play on desperado beats the sheriff and takes over the town why should readers think it will be different with Batman lost and fighting his way back home?
    And he couldn't even make another member of the batfamily look for Bruce this time. Tim had this arc before in the exact same story Zdarsky is heavily copying. At least shuffle the characters a bit.